Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 09:57 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
"You are wrong. How many atheists and agnostics do you see out spreading intolerance toward homosexuals."

True. They are usually too busy hating Christians to hate anyone else. Ignorance is bliss, so have a blast.

Not true. Atheists do not hate religions, or religious people. Most of us just dislike the fundamentalists that want to turn this nation into a theocracy by imposing their 'morals' on everyone else. I will NOT be told what to do by a church I don't even believe in...

Who has multiple tv programs and channels? Christians. Who were the most vocal regarding discrimination against gays? Christians. What denomination is the Westboro Baptist Church? Christian. That particular group (which includes Catholics, Christians, Mormons etc. 'Followers of Christ') is the largest, most vocal and has the most resources of any religions.... so just maybe that's why you feel targeted. Maybe you should 'cull the flock' of the crazies and start practicing what you preach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2008, 10:20 AM

1,364 posts, read 2,917,539 times
With the talk of Prop 8 and religion I feel this fits in here......I posted in an old thread that's not very active:

One Church’s View on Prop 8 « My World (http://missionalthoughts.wordpress.com/2008/11/24/2037/ - broken link)

Christian church in San Diego apologizes for Prop 8 with billboard. The sign says: "Mission gathering church is sorry for the narrow-minded, judgmental, deceptive, manipulative actions of those who took away the rights and equality of so many in the name of God. Our hearts are with you, Christianity for all"

Once again I'd like to say that there are many good Christian folks out there. You can not judge an entire group on the behaviors of some within the whole. I know many good Christians that follow the true word and treat others well and are outstanding individuals. Sadly there are a percentage that will stop at nothing, including spreading hate/intolerance/lies/scare tactics/bully/advocate violence that give everybody a bad name. This can also be applied to the gay side of things.....we have some individuals that don't display good behaviors and treat others badly. I applaud the church in San Diego for calling out their fellow Christians who do not display appropriate behaviors that is pretty much summarized in the above paragraph. God bless them.

Old 11-26-2008, 10:27 AM

594 posts, read 1,044,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.J. MacReady View Post
With the talk of Prop 8 and religion I feel this fits in here......I posted in an old thread that's not very active:

One Church’s View on Prop 8 « My World (http://missionalthoughts.wordpress.com/2008/11/24/2037/ - broken link)

Christian church in San Diego apologizes for Prop 8 with billboard. The sign says: "Mission gathering church is sorry for the narrow-minded, judgmental, deceptive, manipulative actions of those who took away the rights and equality of so many in the name of God. Our hearts are with you, Christianity for all"

Once again I'd like to say that there are many good Christian folks out there. You can not judge an entire group on the behaviors of some within the whole. I know many good Christians that follow the true word and treat others well and are outstanding individuals. Sadly there are a percentage that will stop at nothing, including spreading hate/intolerance/lies/scare tactics/bully/advocate violence that give everybody a bad name. This can also be applied to the gay side of things.....we have some individuals that don't display good behaviors and treat others badly. I applaud the church in San Diego for calling out their fellow Christians who do not display appropriate behaviors that is pretty much summarized in the above paragraph. God bless them.

Christianity's biggest threat is not homosexuals from without, but fundamentalists from within.

Old 11-26-2008, 10:30 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,786,133 times
Easy,

..it's the whole sodomy thing.....particularly in public.

...NASTY!!!!

Old 11-26-2008, 10:37 AM

73 posts, read 133,276 times
Christians love, Gays hate

Christians say don't hate the sinner, but don't accept the sin.

Gays just flat out hate Jews and Christians that read the Torah, Hebrew Bible, and New Testament. I think they'd burn all the Hebrew holy books if they could.

Old 11-26-2008, 10:45 AM

1,862 posts, read 3,343,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
I know you're not going anywhere.

I just don't have to, nor will I approve of it, recognize it as a valid marriage, or teach my kid that. I'm sure you'll label me a backwards bible-thumping hate monger....but oh well. I have moral convictions.
Yes, we all have our own "morals". Just don't think yours are superior to others. That's the image I get when people say they have "morals". Everybody does, just different ones.

I like the idea of God having created ALL people, so we all are equal and all have the same rights - that's my moral belief. Yours is different, of course.

Old 11-26-2008, 10:46 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,587,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finland23 View Post
I heard that recently, 3 states approved a constitutional amendment to ban gay marriages. Why? They don't deserve to marry? I thought this was the "Land of the Free" I also read on Gallup that 56% of Americans disapprove of gay marriages and that 53% of teens disapprove of it too. It seems like the hostility towards homosexuals will continue, unfortanetly. And 48% of Americans believe that allowing them to marry would have a worse effect on society. And 38% would like to see acceptance towards homosexuality to decrease, while 28% would like it to be more and 34% say it's about right.
Not being in favor of gay marriage does not equate to a negative attitude toward homosexuals. For some, you are correct, but there are various reasons people may not be in favor of this.

Old 11-26-2008, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
I guess it works both ways, personally I'm sick to death of the constant in your face behavior of heterosexuals...I just can't seem to escape it, it is everywhere!
What I can't stand is straights making out in public - sometimes, they are older people - not just teenagers!!

I'd love to tell them "get a room"!

Old 11-26-2008, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreySH View Post
You cannot escape the fact that PART of the problem is the constant "IN YOUR FACE" flaunting of everything homosexual by homosexuals.

Just look at this forum. Virtually every thread is specifically about homosexual issues. And the threads that aren't, get turned into homosexual chat threads by a few crazy homosexuals.

Eventually EVERYBODY would get really sick of me talking about my wife's boobs, if that's all I ever talked about, and turned every single thread into something about my wife's boobs. But then I'd have to start screaming about how you're all a bunch of boobophobes!
Um - I'm gay, and I never talk in public about my girlfriend's boobs or anything else. Why do you think everything everywhere is based on sex? Straights tend to talk about it more in public than gays!

Old 11-26-2008, 10:54 AM

695 posts, read 1,377,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsal View Post
Um - I'm gay, and I never talk in public about my girlfriend's boobs or anything else. Why do you think everything everywhere is based on sex? Straights tend to talk about it more in public than gays!
Look at this forum.

I rest my case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies