Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 11:29 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,869,787 times

Advertisements

In another thread I posted about why the age of consent should be lowered to 14 or to increase the romeo/juliet law to + seven years. In CA the age of consent is 18 (with 3 year romeo/juliet law). Which, after doing some research, is actually the highest age of consent for most states. In fact, moving age of consent to 14 isn't actually that radical. Some states, such as Hawaii, have age of consent laws that say the age of consent is 14 years of age in certain cases. For example in Hawaii, the age of consent is 14 if the other person is no more than 5 years older. Which is clearly designed to protect innocent victims (such as 14 year old HS freshman dating a 19 year old senior). However, Hawaii's law is probably the most relaxed. For most other states the age of consent is 16 (with various romeo juliet laws etc).

John stossel did a very good report on this very question:

ABC News: John Stossel Special: The Age of Consent

At the end of the report they ask, what do you think the age of consent should be Poll: 15,16,17 etc.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2009, 11:33 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,168,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
For example in Hawaii, the age of consent is 14 if the other person is no more than 5 years older. Which is clearly designed to protect innocent victims (such as 14 year old HS freshman dating a 19 year old senior).
Do you know the vast chasm between 14 and 19?

I dont understand what you mean by "protect innocent victims". Not saying the 14 year old is a victim or the 19 yr old sd be charged or anything, just asking for clarification.

Answer to OP question - ummmm....18.

Old 01-24-2009, 11:36 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,485,034 times
Personally, I think it should be about 14 in all cases unless the older person is in a position of authority and uses that position to coerce the younger person. Peru went from 16 to 14 a year or two ago, while Canada went from 14 to 16.

In Spain it went from 12 to 13 in 1996 when the conservative party won the elections, but that barely passed!

It's odd that in a so-called sexually liberated age, we have steadily moved in the direction of increasing the age of consent; it's counterintuitive. When cool heads prevail, the age stays the same or is lowered. When the various demagogues in politics and the media whip up a moral panic, it gets raised.

Old 01-24-2009, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Do you know the vast chasm between 14 and 19?
I suspect the overwhelming majority of posters here have passed between the ages of 14 and 19. You probably have no special insight in that respect.

Old 01-24-2009, 11:41 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,168,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
I suspect the overwhelming majority of posters here have passed between the ages of 14 and 19. You probably have no special insight in that respect.
You dont see my point.

Old 01-24-2009, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
You dont see my point.
I see it well enough to know it depends on subjectivity.

Old 01-24-2009, 11:46 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,541,384 times
I wonder if this topic is to protect the many public school teachers who have been having sex with their current or former students?

Old 01-24-2009, 11:50 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,869,787 times
Quote:
I dont understand what you mean by "protect innocent victims".
If you don't watch the videos, you won't know what I mean. They clearly show stories about how people are placed on the sex offender list. In texas one girl had consensual sex with her boyfriend. I believe she was 15 at the time and he was 19. In texas, that is statutory rape, even though she persuaded him into having sex with her (she says it in the video). The parents went to the police and filed a report. Later on, the mother and daughter who filed the report said they didn't want to press charges. However, it was too late for the 19 year old victim. He was forced into having two options: plead guilty and be PERMENTLY placed on the sex offender list as well as have 7 years probation. If he fought the charges, he could face 2 to 20 years in prison. He pleaded guilty and took the 7 years. Later on, when she turned 18 (or 17, I forgot what it was) they eventually got married and had kids. However, according the lawyer in the video, he is still a sexual predator for having sex with a 15 year old when he was 19. Even though, his, "victim" married him.

The age of consent laws are being abused by these types of situations. It is very similar to the nebraska law allowing parents to drop their unwanted kids off at the hospital. The law said, "any person under 18 could be dropped off." That law was designed to prevent mothers who didn't want their babies to just drop them off at the hospital instead of killing them or throwing them in the trash. However, parents, were dropping their 14,15,16,17 year old teenagers off simply because they couldn't handle them anymore. That law has now been modified.

There are other videos in the age of consent 20/20 series about how two boys, 12 and 13, were almost placed on the sex offender list for slapping a girl on the butt.

Quote:
I wonder if this topic is to protect the many public school teachers who have been having sex with their current or former students?
Most teachers aren't exactly under 25 years old. However, 20/20 did do a report on that topic as well. Should these teachers who date their students be tried to the fullest extent. There was a story about how a female teacher had sex with her student and she was placed on the offender list. The male student said he, "enjoyed it," and "she was hot." Doesn't exactly sound like a victim to me.

All I am arguing for is to put laws in place that prevent the above situations from occurring.

Last edited by killer2021; 01-25-2009 at 12:01 AM..

Old 01-24-2009, 11:51 PM

"Mary Kay Letourneau, or as the kids call her, 'The Greatest Teacher Ever'." --Norm Macdonald

Old 01-24-2009, 11:52 PM

killer, there are some even worse cases than that. Check out Ethical Treatment for All Youth and Wisconsin's War on Kids for examples, or read Judith Levine's Harmful to Minors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies