Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 11:31 AM

2,917 posts, read 4,765,141 times

Advertisements

An opinion from someone. I tend to agree.

Quote:
The Humpty Dumpty Economy
by Mark Skousen
Posted 11/26/2008 ET

We’ve gone from a Goldilocks economy to a Humpty Dumpty economy. I see years of stagflation ahead. At best, expect a combination of slow growth and renewed inflation over the next few years.

America in 2009 will never be the same. Barack Obama is right when he said that as president he doesn’t look like any of the faces on the dollar bill. We are entering stage two of the New Deal. Obama recently spent time reading about the emergency measures Franklin Delano Roosevelt took when he became president in early 1933.

FDR started his New Deal by declaring a week-long bank holiday. The way things are going, Obama may have to do the same on January 20, only it will be an invisible bank holiday. Today the Feds rescued the nation’s largest bank by making an emergency loan of $20 billion, but more importantly, TARP (the Treasury’s Troubled Assets Relief Program) guaranteed $306 billion in Citigroup’s troubled assets.
Citibank Is Just The Beginning - HUMAN EVENTS

Can you say, "BOHICA?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2008, 11:50 AM

7,359 posts, read 10,274,860 times
According to another economist, Richard Reich, increasing taxes on the wealthy is the ONLY way to go. Because the wealthy don't invest in jobs or expansion: they invest in money or overseas. Which is exactly what has happened under Bush's tax breaks for the wealthy. And part of the reason we are in this mess.

And here's an article by Paul Krugman, the recent Nobel winner in Economics, from 2003:

The Tax-Cut Con - New York Times

Another one:
Paul Krugman on the Great Wealth Transfer : Rolling Stone (http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/story/12699486/paul_krugman_on_the_great_wealth_transfer - broken link)

And another interesting article, also referencing Krugman:

Time for change's Journal - Raising Taxes on the Wealthy During a Recession

Old 11-27-2008, 12:36 PM

135 posts, read 224,037 times
If the wealthy really reinvest the money into the US then I can see the repub line of "increasing taxes kills jobs". However, I do not see the wealthy doing this. Tell me how many jobs the CEOs of GM, Lehman brothers, etc have created with their millions in pay and benefits. How many jobs has Eminem or Nickelback made with their personal funds. Has O'Reilly funneled some of his own money back into his own show and his own staff? I just grabbed a few examples I could think of. While I'm sure some business owners do put money back into their own businesses, by and large the wealthy, or at least super wealthy do not. Therefore, taxing them a further 3% should be extra money in the coffer with no hit to anything but the overseas accounts and some hedge funds (which are probably all cleaned out now anyway).

I'd welcome statistics that prove me wrong, as I'm going based on what I see, hear, and read, and have no real hard numbers to back up what my common sense tells me.

EDI - what the he** is bohica?

Old 11-27-2008, 12:54 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,911,827 times
Cool Rats! Damned RATS!!!!

If anything, increasing taxes on the so-called wealthy (i..: those who handled their money wisely and put it in savings, gold etc.) simply increases their efforts (usually successful) in transferring their money out of this country. If it were traditionally safe from routine confiscation here, why would they have had to relocate it? I'm so far from being wealthy, and yet I'm likely going to transfer funds to some bank in the Caymans or somewhere (ain't sayin' where! Nyahhh!).

Those who are at the bottom edge of some arbitrary ranking of wealth will, after gov'mint predatory confiscation, then be what? Middle income? On their way to being mid-low income? And then when they are "dis-employed", and asking, righteously, for some income re-distribution, where will those funds then come from? Which bottomless pot?

A bunch of terrified rats, all scrambling around looking for something to rip out of the jaws of their equally terrified cohorts, just to feed themselves. As I noted elsewhere, do these newly up-financed egalitarians then "set to" the job of bumping up their own earning power? Do they invest in their own adult re-education? Do they get rid of their credit card debts and then burn the cards? Or do they hasten down to Costco and buy a new wide screen HD TV, a 24-pack of good old Miller GD, and a new Chinese-made polyester robe for "the old lady"? Hmmm?

Social engineering experiments with a bunch of demanding yet expectant rats looking for "change". Wow. This'll be fun to watch, even for a non-Republican like me! Betcha the Dems will continue to lay it all on the Reps, which, if I were one, would be real insulting. To the level that I'd be hiding ALL of my hard-earned moneys. Remember that word, Ratties: EARNED, not stolen nor fraudulently acquired. Some of them yep. But all of it? C'mon people; how dumb do you take us for? Go find someone stupider to blame it all on.

Old 11-27-2008, 01:00 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,154,207 times
The company I work for does their payroll through Citibank. Tomorrow is payday....so I almost choked on my turkey when I saw the thread title.

Old 11-27-2008, 01:54 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,411,780 times
Default I'm with Rifleman.

I've been retired for nearly 10 years, and I am not about to let Obama steal my IRA to "spread the wealth." Such as it is, I knew six months ago that the writing was on the wall for an economic catastrophe, thanks to the likes of Harry Reid, Nancy Pelosi, Barney Frank, Chris Dodd, whose presence is obvious all over the happenings of the past several weeks. For months, I have been asking the question, "Have you thought about investing in gold?"

Now we have Barack Obama to contend with, and it looks like this guy would rather end Democracy in America than admit failure in four years. It will be then when a return to normalcy and practicality will return the Republicans to power. It will be too little too late, though, since the damage to our economy has been ongoing for decades.

Old 11-27-2008, 02:03 PM

20,323 posts, read 19,909,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpelp View Post
EDI - what the he** is bohica?
Bend Over Here It Comes Again

Old 11-27-2008, 02:05 PM

20,323 posts, read 19,909,198 times
I'm curious as to why we didn't see our dedicated legislators talking tough, and preening for the cameras, with the bankers and Wall Streeters in the same manner they did with the auto execs.

Old 11-27-2008, 03:56 PM

135 posts, read 224,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Bend Over Here It Comes Again
Thanks, now I understand why Delta posted. She's part of the "OMG the sky is falling because McCain lost!" crowd. I am one of those minimal debt people, everything paid off on time, still saving, etc. and I can't see how an extra 3% will kill anyone, especialy seeing as how no one has managed to show how any of that so called wealth is actually going into job creation. All i see is "OMG I have some money probably less than $250k/year but I know Obama's going to take it all and give it directly to all the other people that clearly must not be as smart as I am because everyone else is just a beer drinking hillbilly that wants a free handout".

While there are no doubt some beer drinking hillbillies that want a handout, painting everyone besides yourself with that broad brush only makes you look foolish. I also think those "rats" will be rudely awakened when the extra tax money goes to paying down the debt (or the bailout as it's sucking up all the money now) and not to them. Last I saw the proposed income tax increase was an additional 3% over the first 250k. So please tell me if you're pulling in (for sake of easy math) $350k, how that extra $3k to reign in the defecit (a republican stance) that was CAUSED in large part by big boy dubya is going to radically change anything in your life. Do you spend so much money that making $347k minus current taxes will cripple you while $350k minus current taxes will not?

Old 11-27-2008, 04:32 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,274,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosinante View Post
I've been retired for nearly 10 years, and I am not about to let Obama steal my IRA to "spread the wealth." Such as it is, I knew six months ago that the writing was on the wall for an economic catastrophe, thanks to the likes of Harry Reid, Nancy Pelosi, Barney Frank, Chris Dodd, whose presence is obvious all over the happenings of the past several weeks. For months, I have been asking the question, "Have you thought about investing in gold?"

Now we have Barack Obama to contend with, and it looks like this guy would rather end Democracy in America than admit failure in four years. It will be then when a return to normalcy and practicality will return the Republicans to power. It will be too little too late, though, since the damage to our economy has been ongoing for decades.
Obama's not interested in "stealing" your IRA. But you might want to look around at the friggin' NIGHTMARE this country has become because of the President YOU voted for.

Honorable people step up to the plate and admit when they are wrong. The way you neo-cons are whining, and the hatred you are levelling against a man who hasn't even become President yet, shows you up for the greedy and hateful cowards that you are. Thanks A MILLION for voting for a CRIMINAL in 2000 and 2004. AMERICA THANKS YOU SO MUCH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies