Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2008, 12:04 PM

2,195 posts, read 3,641,185 times

Advertisements

Primer on Boumediene’s week of reckoning | SCOTUSblog (http://www.scotusblog.com/wp/primer-on-boumedienes-week-of-reckoning/ - broken link)

In June, the SCOTUS decided Boumediene v. Bush, which turned policy in the war on terror on its head.

In the past week, cases at all levels of federal court have been brought forth that explore that decision and its implications, including, amusingly enough, the original Boumediene v. Bush, back at District court where it started.

I wonder what will come out of it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2008, 12:22 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,600,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jps-teacher View Post
Primer on Boumediene’s week of reckoning | SCOTUSblog (http://www.scotusblog.com/wp/primer-on-boumedienes-week-of-reckoning/ - broken link)

In June, the SCOTUS decided Boumediene v. Bush, which turned policy in the war on terror on its head.

In the past week, cases at all levels of federal court have been brought forth that explore that decision and its implications, including, amusingly enough, the original Boumediene v. Bush, back at District court where it started.

I wonder what will come out of it!
Quote:
Supreme Court will get its first look at the first major sequel to Boumediene — a test of the President’s power to detain an individual who was lawfully in the U.S., was seized inside this country, and is now being held indefinitely and without charges in a military jail in South Carolina.
It will be very interesting to say the least. I don't think most folks understand how incredible the circumstances have been nor the age or importance of the Extraordinary Writ of Habeas Corpus.

Old 11-28-2008, 12:40 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,479,243 times
I wonder if it will be coherent. One of the things that Obama might work on is scrapping virtually all existing war-on-terror legislation and replacing it with some better balance between reason and exigency. All the Bush/Cheney/Yoo/Gonzalez garbage is tainted worse than contaminated spinach. Recall it all and start over, leaving the courts some sane and sensible paths to follow.

Old 11-28-2008, 01:14 PM

2,195 posts, read 3,641,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
I wonder if it will be coherent. One of the things that Obama might work on is scrapping virtually all existing war-on-terror legislation and replacing it with some better balance between reason and exigency. All the Bush/Cheney/Yoo/Gonzalez garbage is tainted worse than contaminated spinach. Recall it all and start over, leaving the courts some sane and sensible paths to follow.
He's already talked about totally rethinking the court approaches to it. I suspect his AG and DoD Sec'y will be exploring this.

Old 11-28-2008, 01:58 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,479,243 times
Have some reservations about Gates from back in CIA days, but he does seem to have mellowed some, and he's been a steady hand by all reports at DOD. I was encouraged by the naming of Eric Holder. Very smart. Even-keeled. Independent-minded. No partisan baggage floating around. I think that he'll be a very good house-cleaner which DOJ much needs at this point, and also that his temperament is well suited to unbiased work in the public interest in seeking to repair the staggering damage done by ********, Gonzalez, and the Yoo-crew. The new administration will have so many pots on the fire, I hope that sufficient time and energy can be found to keep such an initiative going...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies