Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 01:59 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,207,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cap1717 View Post
Yes, I do support "loans", not "bailout" for the auto industry, on the condition that NO UPPER MANAGEMENT gets any of that money, that it is all put to use to modernize, develop better and more fuel efficient vehicles, and to keep the workers employed, WITH adequate health insurance, retirement, etc. I have never worked in a union job, all the 401K money is in the tank, right now ( a whole bunch of it "dissapeared" after 9/11, and at 63, my body is starting to give out, but no retirement in sight for me. . . I don't want to see that happen to anyone else!

if you are going to put that into place, then also put into place the stipulation that none of the unions get any of the money either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2008, 02:04 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,148,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
if you are going to put that into place, then also put into place the stipulation that none of the unions get any of the money either.
And that all the unions are to be dissolved that are associated with the big three auto manufacturing. Not removed, but dissolved all together and never allowed to start-up again, EVER.

Old 12-03-2008, 02:12 PM

3,413 posts, read 8,840,547 times
Default Big 3 bailout

I believe I've decided that we should absolutely, positively not do this.

What does everyone else think?

Old 12-03-2008, 02:30 PM

3,555 posts, read 7,852,666 times
Somehow lost in this discussion is the fact that when you see all of those unwanted vehicles on the road, SUVs, big pickup trucks, the "business model" of the big three was to give the customer what they wanted.

I'd actually be in favor of GM keeping their boss, but Alan Mullaly at Ford has got to go.

The problem at the automakers isn't the union, the problem is that they have to advertise too much to move their "iron" off the showroom floor. Close to $2,000/unit for the (formerly) big 3 versus about $400/unit for the Hondas etc.

The one bit of irony in all of this is that the CRASH of the big SUV/pickup market tended to coincide with the spooling up of the production of these vehicles by Nissan (Mississippi) and Toyota (San Antonio TX). And by the way anyone who thinks all is sweetness and light and excellent quality output at these plants needs to check out the (complete lack of) quality coming out of Nissan's plant, specifically the paint jobs. It got so bad that they had to move production of the Infinity (56?)SUV back to Japan.

golfgod

Old 12-03-2008, 03:30 PM

564 posts, read 893,042 times
Doesn't GM own Hummer? The military version? I just watched over a 1,000 shiny new Military Hummers going to the Port of Baltimore today via railroad. Maybe I'm wrong? On who makes them, I guessed GM. Someone got a nice Christmas Bonus from uncle sam (us). It was amazing to see such a sight, like one of those propaganda pictures or videos of the U.S.S.R back in the '80's in H.S., only it was here!

Old 12-03-2008, 05:02 PM

1,629 posts, read 5,384,617 times
I just bought GM stock, WHEN they pass a bill sometime next week its going to rally, at least for that day and I'll bank and sell off at the end of the day. We can all get a piece of this bailout if you play the game right

Old 12-04-2008, 11:30 AM

3,088 posts, read 5,357,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonotastic View Post
I just bought GM stock, WHEN they pass a bill sometime next week its going to rally, at least for that day and I'll bank and sell off at the end of the day. We can all get a piece of this bailout if you play the game right
greed in action! a fine example you set. . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies