Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2008, 11:35 AM

659 posts, read 1,086,291 times

Advertisements

If China, Russia, or any other major power set up a military base in our country? Would you be outraged that they would have such the audacity to do such a thing? Would you think that they are infringing upon us?

Personally, I would be outraged! I would be mad that they are setting up shop in my homeland to build their empire. Yet, we as Americans do it to everyone else. We have approximately 702 bases, set up in 162 countries around the world. I think we it comes to military and political endeavors we lack empathy. We can't ever see what the other side might feel if we do something and are only concerned about our own feelings; it sort of reminds me of a teen who is going through adolescence. How would you feel if another nation did what we do to other nations around the world?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2008, 11:41 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,251,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb09 View Post
If China, Russia, or any other major power set up a military base in our country? Would you be outraged that they would have such the audacity to do such a thing? Would you think that they are infringing upon us?

Personally, I would be outraged! I would be mad that they are setting up shop in my homeland to build their empire. Yet, we as Americans do it to everyone else. We have approximately 702 bases, set up in 162 countries around the world. I think we it comes to military and political endeavors we lack empathy. We can't ever see what the other side might feel if we do something and are only concerned about our own feelings; it sort of reminds me of a teen who is going through adolescence. How would you feel if another nation did what we do to other nations around the world?
You need to go and study WWII and you will understand why we have those bases around the world. But I do agree it's time for other countries to start defending them self.

Old 12-21-2008, 11:47 AM

659 posts, read 1,086,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
You need to go and study WWII and you will understand why we have those bases around the world. But I do agree it's time for other countries to start defending them self.
I've studied WWII history and I know the reasons why we set up shop in other countries. Yet, while we do this, we also invoke the wrath and anger of countries that don't want us their for one reason or another. Protecting ourselves is good and is in the best interest for America but don't you think we are overdoing it just a bit???

Old 12-21-2008, 11:51 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,251,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb09 View Post
I've studied WWII history and I know the reasons why we set up shop in other countries. Yet, while we do this, we also invoke the wrath and anger of countries that don't want us their for one reason or another. Protecting ourselves is good and is in the best interest for America but don't you think we are overdoing it just a bit???
Yes I do think we are over doing it. I also believe we no longer need to be the worlds police. But tell that to the people you voted for and see if it changes. I don't think it will change. The money could be better spent here at home.

Old 12-21-2008, 01:30 PM

773 posts, read 1,216,028 times
On the flip side of the coin, certain U.S. bases are located for geopolitical reasons and serve a good purpose of helping preserve a detante.
For instance American bases in Japan and South Korea help discourage militarization which would resume without an American presence. The entire east Asian status quo relies on American troops to protect it from geopolitical forces such as the China-Taiwan dispute, and North Korea's dear old 'Dr no' Kim Jong-Il.
In fact many Asian leaders will quietly admit they prefer the presence of U.S. soldiers rather than to resume where both World War Two and the Korean War left off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies