Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2008, 01:09 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,098,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
The actual shoe throwing occurred on December 14, did it not? Perhaps we can turn this into a new national observance, and have Shoe Day every year! (Shoe store owners around the country should certainly be on board for this).
LMAO!!!! I'd vote yay for that

Old 12-18-2008, 02:16 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,958,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
LMAO!!!! I'd vote yay for that
" If the shoe fits ".........

Old 12-18-2008, 02:47 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,158,827 times
Talking Thunk! Give that man Two points!

Quote:
Originally Posted by schtyk View Post
Seabeebolt, In four years, I served on a ship for ten days so you missed that one. Not that many billets for CTs on the water in those days, 69-73,- a few in the air or in subs. The Pueblo happened during my time.

We will just have to agree to disagree on the Afhanistan vs Iraq thing. At least we can speak with a measure of civility. My thought is this. Afghanistan is a loss, as it has no real potential for a lawful country. Too 5th century. Iraq was in fact the heart of the nest and if that isn't so, why is it that even the naysayers understand it drew in the foreign fighters. Boots on the ground in the heart of the nest? That is all I am saying. Guess what? It worked! Sadly, a lot of innocent people died to insure that we took great measure to address the problem. A lot of national treasure was spent to insure we addressed the problem. Great measure was required.
Fact is you don't trip into the greatest country on the face of the earth since the begining of time and knock down two of the largest skyscrapers in the country and flatten 3,000 people and get a pass.
You cut a Navy seals throat and throw him on the tarmac for having stood up to a plane full of terrorists and everyone admires it and feels bad but no one does a damn thing about it. We suffer attacks over twenty years, Beirut, Lockerbee, U.S. Cole, on and on ad infinitum and these folks basically get a pass. The ugly American has to pay. How long before it became really serious? As generations before us, we did the right thing. To quote a phrase, "Freedom is never free". If this thing plays out the way we need it to play out we will eventually cultivate, if not an ally, a cushion against attack. The severity of -what could be ,with respect to an attack,- is not an option. Simply not an option.
Well Schtyk,

I can almost see your point, but those people have been fighting for thousands of years, we need to mind our own problems. But for now we should get back on topic, we've strayed to far of.
I still think it would have been funny to see that shoe bounce right off bush's forehead. or atleast have it leave a trade mark symbol in it, ie. Nike, Adidas, Oasic or something.

Old 12-18-2008, 03:54 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,800,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schtyk View Post
Hmmm, sounds like a challenge. Actually i forgot what the topic was -pages ago. Shall we reconstruct?
My point in the previous post is that no one pays much attention, one to another, as everyone has preconceived notions. When a person has preconceived notions that are extremist, thus ,my example of the lunatic left, little can be achieved in debating a worthless point of view. I undestand that this is the lunatic fringe and not much represented in numbers. I am not saying that every human being does not have worth ,as I believe all do. I am saying that many "points of view" are worthless, because they are not born of any reason.
Personally, I want to see all people do good. Even those who probably don't deserve to do good because of their efforts to tear down the positive things that positive people try to accomplish.
If someone is totally on the lunatic fringe I can't bring them back, only they can do that for themselves, so I take the occassion to have a little fun with it so as not to totally waste my time. If anyone out there wants to present a debateable presentation, well by golly let-her rip.
My bet is that if I stay cool and serious and don't challenge with other than reasonable scrutiny, that like Big Jon infers, we will not get 10 threads away from a post before the lunatic fringe raises its ugly head. I have one arm around your neck and one hand on your knee. Lets talk about the shoe throwing incident.

I think the sock tucker, that threw the shoe, is very lucky that he did not throw it at Saddam. I think Saddam would have smiled for the cameras and the next scene would be of a paraplegic begging to keep his head. So we can see already that America is having a positive influence in this culture. One of the great freedoms of life liberty and the pursuit of happiness is born, throwing your shoe at someone you disagree with without subsequently having to eat rice with your elbows. Ain't America great?
Fringe radicals aren't limited to one side of the poli spectrum. Not all of us care for either extreme. Most people do have pre existing opinions but they display their intent in these threads through their own conduct (respectful un/willingness to consider new perspectives).

I'm a vet not affiliated with the 2 parties, so the dogma is tiresome to say the least. I'll be mailing shoes to Bush because he disgraced our constitution every which way. High treason to my ears, a disgrace to the troops putting their lives on the line daily. Unforgivable. You'll either see that for what it is or insist blind loyalty is correct in democracy. I believe the latter to be incorrect, and detrimental to everything we hold dear. Checks and balances are vital to our health as a nation. My loyalty is to the troops as a permanent lock, and not to any fly by night political faction spewing nonsense at their expense.

Iraq and the middle east need to know we do not assassinate an idiot in office or resort to violence when we collectively disagree. We vote not only at the polls, but with our criticism and our feet regularly, allowing the merits of ideas to rise and compromises to be pursued in earnest.

I think I'll get a bigger box and ask my neighbors if they'd like to add a pair postage free.

Old 12-18-2008, 04:15 PM

540 posts, read 630,694 times
I am not affiliated with the two parties either. A registered independent since the age of 18 and I'm long from there. I do have a long memory. I tend to analyse from the top down not just shoot to the bottom line. That is the only way you understand the bottom line. I stand by my posts. We defend this country first, that keeps us great, that keeps us free. The sock tucker that threw the shoe can get away with that in a free world. He is dead meat or paraplegic at best in his former world. He is thus an ingrate. Not unlike many of the posters here that have no concept of where there freedom comes from. Too many marshmallows and fre lunches and no sacrifice. It takes some sacrifice to appreciate the good things. It also produces knowledge that cannot otherwise be had. Knowledge is power. "To know that you know what you know and to know that you do not know what you do not know is true knowldege" Confucious.

Old 12-18-2008, 04:39 PM

Oh, Harborlady. Just a lil more analysis of your post. You speak of dogma and then you speak of how Bush disgraced the constitution. Have you ever read the constitution or is that merely a dogmatic, if not parroted ,statement of the left. You say you are not of the left as if to imply you are simply impartial and analytical but you dont make your case in the end analysis.
I have no blind loyalty toward Bush. He is a big dissapointment to me in several areas which I won't repeat those posts. He did the right thing in Iraq for many reasons.

Old 12-18-2008, 06:21 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,035,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!! Your standards for judging "real men" are SUPER low.Let's see,dad gets your degrees bought...hmmm ...buys you out of "Nam and then you can't even handle the Guard post he bought for you...uhhh hmmm....your dad buys you several busineses which you promptly run into the ground ,so he then buys you Rove as a babysitter,buys your way into politics where you instantly make a total ass out of yourself and screw up everything you touch(lucky for him he ran on a republican ticket where those are traits their base adores)....hmmm let see what next....invade a soveriegn country and trash it beyond all repair and then duck a shoe.....Wow,I'm nowhere near him at being a real man...I just work,pay my taxes and feed,clothe and shelter my kid.

BTW...I'd be willing to bet Obama could lay on the couch for the next ten years until he turned into veal and still kick Georgies little scrawny butt with both hands tied behind his back...And I think Obama is probably a wimp so that should let you know what my thoughts on Bush being"a real man" are.
You said it. Barry is a veal.

Old 12-18-2008, 06:39 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,142,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spindle View Post
Any idea if Bush has asked the Iraqi government to not charge or pardon the shoe thrower? I would've thought Bush would be happy that someone could express free speech in Iraq
He did express those sentiments. I just wonder how many skulls his comments penetrated.

Old 12-18-2008, 07:45 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,696,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Yeah, I'm sure that many corporations want a piece of an oil rich country, but what about The USA? We are bankrupted because the war (illegal occupation) was going to pay for itself...not! I'm sure the family of dead soldiers will be thrilled to hear that these corporations will thrive, because that was what their family member died for.
Geez I cant REP you anymore but let me just say that if an Electroencephalography machine were placed on both our brains no one would be able to tell us apart.

GMTA !!!

Old 12-18-2008, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Geez I cant REP you anymore but let me just say that if an Electroencephalography machine were placed on both our brains no one would be able to tell us apart.

GMTA !!!
Maybe you guys should get a room.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies