Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 11:46 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,189,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
There was probably somewhere else in the world that recorded record high temperatures that day, too.

Your point?
My point? Snowed in LA, and Nevada, too. That's my point.

Of course earth is going through a global warming just like it has done in the past, and this is a good thing. A global cooling, followed by an ice age is next. Now, a global cooling followed by an ice age wild be a disaster for all life as we know it. In reality, the global warming trend has ben on hold for a few years now, although nobody has any ideas of what will happen next. Lets just hope that earth doesn't go through a fast global cooling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2008, 12:03 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,933,875 times
And that is my point. We should know. Any species with the wherewithall to be probing into the intricacies of DNA or re-attaching severed penises or, for that matter, postulating the existence of life on other worlds should know definitively what is happening with its own atmosphere. We cannot afford to finger point and play games of semantics until the seas rise... or not. It will be too late then either way. This is not Y2K. The consequences will be more than economic. Is there a downside, I ask, to reducing greenhouse gas emissions just because? CO2 is a known agent of atmospheric heat storage and as a first step at least is better than doing nothing at all.

Truth be told. Global warming is the least of the next generations problems. I would love it if minimal attention were paid to the issue of greenhouse gas reduction but if we don't stop throwing medical waste into the oceans or burying plastics in landfills and burning coal in powerplants and using gasoline in automobiles or selling banned pesticides to Third World economies etc. etc. etc. the next couple of generations are going to have a hard time with or without the complications of global temperature increase. In fact the next couple of generations might be all she wrote. Somehow the end of mankind doesn't bother many of you. As long as you can drive that F350 today and 64" plasma screens continue to drop in price all is good. What your kids will be doing when they are your age is not your most pressing concern. I think I need to start a blog on Facebook telling some of the youngsters what they are in for. Maybe when the kids start kicking some adult butt over what they are doing to the world that they are going to have to live in we will get some movement on the issue(s).

H (wondering if there were some dinosaurs alarmed over the coming extinction that were shouted down and/or ignored)

Old 12-19-2008, 01:32 PM

8,630 posts, read 9,139,445 times
CNN Meteorologist: Manmade Global Warming Theory 'Arrogant' (http://businessandmedia.org/articles/2008/20081218205953.aspx - broken link)

Old 12-19-2008, 02:32 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I'm leaving for Las Vegas tomorrow... yikes. Should be pretty neat to see snow in Vegas, though!!
There isn't any - it was very short lived. There's plenty on the mountains, though.

Here's a pic of my global warming machine on Monday - it didn't snow for long on Wednesday and melted off pretty fast, so I don't have any pics from then.
Attached Thumbnails
Global Warming alert in Las Vegas-img_6362_s.jpg  

Old 12-19-2008, 02:34 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,235,874 times
All of the Glaciers once covering my home state of Minnesota have completely melted! Help!

Old 12-19-2008, 02:39 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,129,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
And that is my point. We should know. Any species with the wherewithall to be probing into the intricacies of DNA or re-attaching severed penises or, for that matter, postulating the existence of life on other worlds should know definitively what is happening with its own atmosphere. We cannot afford to finger point and play games of semantics until the seas rise... or not. It will be too late then either way. This is not Y2K. The consequences will be more than economic. Is there a downside, I ask, to reducing greenhouse gas emissions just because? CO2 is a known agent of atmospheric heat storage and as a first step at least is better than doing nothing at all.

Truth be told. Global warming is the least of the next generations problems. I would love it if minimal attention were paid to the issue of greenhouse gas reduction but if we don't stop throwing medical waste into the oceans or burying plastics in landfills and burning coal in powerplants and using gasoline in automobiles or selling banned pesticides to Third World economies etc. etc. etc. the next couple of generations are going to have a hard time with or without the complications of global temperature increase. In fact the next couple of generations might be all she wrote. Somehow the end of mankind doesn't bother many of you. As long as you can drive that F350 today and 64" plasma screens continue to drop in price all is good. What your kids will be doing when they are your age is not your most pressing concern. I think I need to start a blog on Facebook telling some of the youngsters what they are in for. Maybe when the kids start kicking some adult butt over what they are doing to the world that they are going to have to live in we will get some movement on the issue(s).

H (wondering if there were some dinosaurs alarmed over the coming extinction that were shouted down and/or ignored)
You are just whistling into the wind when you attempt to explain human responibility and anything to to with the ecology to the ones in utter denial.
Maybe we can convince them to buy a condo and relocate to this island:

Plastic Waste Creating Ocean-Sized Crisis - News Story - KTVU San Francisco

Far out in the pacific ocean between California and Hawaii, there are huge islands of garbage swirling together into ever-growing "cyclones" of debris. One island of trash is twice the size of the state of Texas.

Old 12-19-2008, 02:54 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
the ones in utter denial.
Can there not be something in between? Those on the left are always talking of "shades of gray" yet that only applies when it suits them.

There's plenty of science that puts into question the validity of human responsibility for the warming trend that ended around 2000.

The only thing we can say with any certainty whatsoever about climate modeling is that every single model has been wrong. That in itself is enough to cast doubt on the hysterical ramblings coming from the we-are-responsible crowd.

Old 12-19-2008, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Can there not be something in between? Those on the left are always talking of "shades of gray" yet that only applies when it suits them.

There's plenty of science that puts into question the validity of human responsibility for the warming trend that ended around 2000.

The only thing we can say with any certainty whatsoever about climate modeling is that every single model has been wrong. That in itself is enough to cast doubt on the hysterical ramblings coming from the we-are-responsible crowd.
Labels are ridiculous...left, right, up, down, sideways, diagonally. Who cares about labels? The post that I was responding to was attempting to make the point that no matter how you slice it, the actions of the people that are inhabiting this planet are reckless and irresponsible. Even if it was beyond a shadow of a doubt proven that climate change was not a result of human activity, why would it be a bad thing to decrease the amount of Co2 and other toxic culprits that are released into the atmosphere? Only positive things could come of drastically changing the horrible ecological habits of mankind.

If you bothered to read my link about "plastic crap island"... Can you find a way to blame that on natural or cyclical occurrences?

Last edited by sickofnyc; 12-19-2008 at 03:48 PM..

Old 12-19-2008, 03:51 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,189,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post

I believe that you are worrying way too much over the environment, and global "whatever may happen," but since you have the choice to worry and give yourself an ulcer, or even tell others (the whole world) how they should live their lives, just go at it as much as you want.

Why making worry warts of the "youngsters," like we have made of ourselves? Instead, tech them how to take care of themselves and those around them, to be good and productive citizens, to strive for doing well in whatever task they take upon, and just to be kids and enjoy each day as such into adulthood. We should never teach children to become us, for that will turn them into loonies, drug users, walking around with a dark cloud over their heads as they worry about everything in life.

Old 12-19-2008, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
I believe that you are worrying way too much over the environment, and global "whatever may happen," but since you have the choice to worry and give yourself an ulcer, or even tell others (the whole world) how they should live their lives, just go at it as much as you want.

Why making worry warts of the "youngsters," like we have made of ourselves? Instead, tech them how to take care of themselves and those around them, to be good and productive citizens, to strive for doing well in whatever task they take upon, and just to be kids and enjoy each day as such into adulthood. We should never teach children to become us, for that will turn them into loonies walking around with a dark cloud over their heads, and drug users.
Teaching kids to be wise and responsible concerning the planet that they habitate is not part of your master plan for them? If we don't get a handle on the situation these kids will be fighting wars for water not oil. Foot loose and fancy free is what got us and the planet into the mess that it is in now and you want to proliferate the situation because heaven forbid anyone should "worry". That dark cloud you speak of will be there, but it will not be figuratively, it will be the reality of smog and pollution. Turning a kid into a looney by teaching and setting a good example? Are you for real?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies