Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 07:31 AM

37,185 posts, read 19,247,213 times

Advertisements

Originally Posted by teatime
This is entirely relevant. It provides an indication of how he will handle our country's problem with illegal immigration, which seems to be "acknowledge it, disavow it, and then ignore it."

Illegal immigration negatively affects our national security, our economy, our health care and education systems. If the president-elect himself doesn't care about an illegal immigrant in his own family taking up public resources, then the tens of millions of other illegal immigrants probably are breathing a collective sigh of relief. It certainly provides a very public "exception to the rules" that they can use to stay here, too. If the president doesn't care about the laws then why should they?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Um, in case some of you haven't noticed. . . Obama is not the president yet; it is the Bush administration that needs to deport this woman if she is here illegally.
Kat, don't be so hard on teatime. In his zeal to have Mr. Obama for president he simply forgot that W was still in control of the office. I can understand this completely. I can't wait until Obama is sworn in , either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2008, 07:33 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,068,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
This is entirely relevant. It provides an indication of how he will handle our country's problem with illegal immigration, which seems to be "acknowledge it, disavow it, and then ignore it."

Illegal immigration negatively affects our national security, our economy, our health care and education systems. If the president-elect himself doesn't care about an illegal immigrant in his own family taking up public resources, then the tens of millions of other illegal immigrants probably are breathing a collective sigh of relief. It certainly provides a very public "exception to the rules" that they can use to stay here, too. If the president doesn't care about the laws then why should they?
Change your post from how he will handle to how he has handled and your first paragraph is accurate. This all has and is still playing out on the watch of our current president. Take your first sentence and apply it to the last eight years of current president bush ( intentional little b) and what conclusions about his performance do you come up with?

Old 12-23-2008, 12:38 PM

15,154 posts, read 11,637,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Change your post from how he will handle to how he has handled and your first paragraph is accurate. This all has and is still playing out on the watch of our current president. Take your first sentence and apply it to the last eight years of current president bush ( intentional little b) and what conclusions about his performance do you come up with?
The fact is that there has not been 1 word about it since he got elected

Old 12-23-2008, 12:47 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,965,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
Well, what do you expect Obama to do about it? His only job right now is to choose a cabinet. Bring it up to Prez. Bush. Maybe he'll grant her a pardon!

Old 12-23-2008, 01:09 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,068,272 times
Quote:
Ok so Fox news dropped the ball. Got it!

Old 12-23-2008, 04:31 PM

3,463 posts, read 7,310,793 times
Pass

Pass

Pass

Pass

Pass

Pass

Old 12-23-2008, 04:35 PM

2,522 posts, read 4,395,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fopt65 View Post
Put it on his personal to do list
1. Finally hold some sort of memorial for granny
2. Get dog before kids are grown adults
3. Deport auntie

LOL!!

Old 12-23-2008, 09:15 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,020,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Kat, don't be so hard on teatime. In his zeal to have Mr. Obama for president he simply forgot that W was still in control of the office. I can understand this completely. I can't wait until Obama is sworn in , either.
Perhaps in the liberal universe, a man would name himself "teatime," but, happily, I don't reside in that universe and I'm not a man. If I were, I'd probably name myself "Millertime" or "JackDanielstime."

Y'all can try to divert this issue to Bush all that you want and I'm sure the liberal talking point has been to blame Bush for EVERYTHING, even long after Obama is in office. HOWEVER, the subject of this thread is OBAMA'S illegal immigrant relative. If BUSH had an illegal immigrant relative who is currently taking up public housing and services, the libs would have been all over it a long time ago.

Besides, she's being sheltered in one of the most liberal states in the Union and probably a sanctuary city. Bush didn't create the liberal haven that is Massachusetts. Bush also didn't create the immigration system -- in fact, he's actually TRIED to do something, as in hiring far more Border Patrol agents, restructuring and creating ICE to work with Homeland Security, and encouraging more workplace raids.

Obama is setting a bad example and a bad precedent as a CITIZEN, let alone as president-elect. He had the money and the power to push through her paperwork and help her become a legal resident. That's something AVERAGE CITIZENS would do, if they could. Barring that, he needs to help her leave the country and apply legally, as everyone else has to do. He doesn't get a pass because he's "president-elect" and he doesn't get a pass after inauguration, either.

Old 12-23-2008, 10:31 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,481,937 times
Quote:
Lets see..Worst financial crisis in history, 2 wars, building a Cabinet.... and you see it necessary for Obama or the media to worry about Obama's distant aunt who's living in a one room apt. in the projects...So sad

Old 12-23-2008, 10:39 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,481,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Perhaps in the liberal universe, a man would name himself "teatime," but, happily, I don't reside in that universe and I'm not a man. If I were, I'd probably name myself "Millertime" or "JackDanielstime."

Y'all can try to divert this issue to Bush all that you want and I'm sure the liberal talking point has been to blame Bush for EVERYTHING, even long after Obama is in office. HOWEVER, the subject of this thread is OBAMA'S illegal immigrant relative. If BUSH had an illegal immigrant relative who is currently taking up public housing and services, the libs would have been all over it a long time ago.

Besides, she's being sheltered in one of the most liberal states in the Union and probably a sanctuary city. Bush didn't create the liberal haven that is Massachusetts. Bush also didn't create the immigration system -- in fact, he's actually TRIED to do something, as in hiring far more Border Patrol agents, restructuring and creating ICE to work with Homeland Security, and encouraging more workplace raids.

Obama is setting a bad example and a bad precedent as a CITIZEN, let alone as president-elect. He had the money and the power to push through her paperwork and help her become a legal resident. That's something AVERAGE CITIZENS would do, if they could. Barring that, he needs to help her leave the country and apply legally, as everyone else has to do. He doesn't get a pass because he's "president-elect" and he doesn't get a pass after inauguration, either.
Three paragraphs for a non issue..I feel for you..Obama must be doing great if you bashers are reaching for this, a lil old lady in the projects..That's what she is..She may in fact be illegal but she still has certain protections while she's on our soil so until the (immigration/deportation)process that Bush never fixed catches up, she and 10-15 million will still be here. Props to Obama for forcing you folks back to this non issue..I guess you'll bring Khalidi up next since you're rehashing non-issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies