Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 10:30 PM

2,223 posts, read 2,221,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
You're both really paranoid. The original post said nothing about conservatives or Christians.
Ummmm... The OP specifically stated the assumption that the "anti-gay crowd" would be thrilled. That alone makes it pretty obvious. Then you add the fact that the person who started this thread has a HUGE chip on her shoulder about Christians, and, well...

Fortunately, most people are smarter than that (though not everyone here). And unless I'm mistaken, there hasn't been anybody - Christian, anti-gay, or otherwise - who has celebrated the rape of this lesbian girl, as though she somehow deserved it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2008, 11:17 PM

30,364 posts, read 51,976,363 times
Quote:
You're both really paranoid. The original post said nothing about conservatives or Christians.
Yup... it only mentioned "anti-gay-marriage folks," who come from all walks of life. Sorry, but it seems to me the Christians are making it their issue here.

Old 12-27-2008, 11:38 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,579,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Yup... it only mentioned "anti-gay-marriage folks," who come from all walks of life. Sorry, but it seems to me the Christians are making it their issue here.
Thank you both so so so so much.

Old 12-27-2008, 11:47 PM

2,245 posts, read 7,195,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
It's true, there is nothing in the OP that explicitly states that these "anti-gays" are Christians. Therefore, it may very well be true that this thread was not directed at Christians. However, there are a lot of anti-Christians on this site, so naturally, those of us who are Christians prick our ears up when we hear such rhetoric. (Additionally, others on this thread have already pointed a finger at Christianity.)

Old 12-28-2008, 05:45 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,209,709 times
Quote:

connie did not say conservative in the part you quoted, she said political.
She was correct, it was meant to be political. Otherwise the fact that the woman being a lesbian would have been left out and not reported at all.

Last edited by monkeywrenching; 12-28-2008 at 05:54 AM..

Old 12-28-2008, 05:50 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,688,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
The OP specifically asserted that some anti-gays would be happy about this crime. To many of you, anti-gay = conservative Christians.
I didn't see it that way at all, so your assumption was wrong.

You really are paranoid.

Old 12-28-2008, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filet Mignon View Post
Ummmm... The OP specifically stated the assumption that the "anti-gay crowd" would be thrilled. That alone makes it pretty obvious. Then you add the fact that the person who started this thread has a HUGE chip on her shoulder about Christians, and, well...

Fortunately, most people are smarter than that (though not everyone here). And unless I'm mistaken, there hasn't been anybody - Christian, anti-gay, or otherwise - who has celebrated the rape of this lesbian girl, as though she somehow deserved it.
I just read the post as it was written without making inferences.

I've never equated the phrase "anti-gay crowd" with Christians or conservatives. Not all of you think alike, right?

It's actually pretty funny to me - it's like you're seeing words that aren't even there.

If you go around making assumptions about everybody and everything that's written, you're going to drive yourself crazy. I'm glad I don't live that way.

Old 12-28-2008, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
connie did not say conservative in the part you quoted, she said political.
She was correct, it was meant to be political. Otherwise the fact that the woman being a lesbian would have been left out and not reported at all.
You obviously didn't follow the conversation. If you had, you would have understood the sequence of comments.

And you're saying that the news story shouldn't have mentioned that the woman was a lesbian, and that mentioning it makes it political? How?

Old 12-28-2008, 06:01 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,209,709 times
Quote:
You obviously didn't follow the conversation. If you had, you would have understood the sequence of comments.

And you're saying that the news story shouldn't have mentioned that the woman was a lesbian, and that mentioning it makes it political? How?

look, the complete story was meant to be political in nature. if it was not meant to be policial, then all reference to the victim being a lesbian would have not been told. the report would have just said that a female viictim was gangraped by a group of men.

Old 12-28-2008, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
look, the complete story was meant to be political in nature. if it was not meant to be policial, then all reference to the victim being a lesbian would have not been told. the report would have just said that a female viictim was gangraped by a group of men.
For that matter, maybe it's political if they even mention that it's a woman, right? I mean - why do they have to do that? Couldn't they just say "a person"?

Whenever a serious crime story is reported in the news, details about the victim are reported, especially details which may explain how or why the crime occurred.

If an abortion doctor is shot while leaving his office, should the media just say "a doctor was shot" without mentioning that he was leaving his abortion clinic?

If a Republican campaign office is bombed, should the media just report that "a campaign office was bombed" without mentioning that it was a Republican campaign office?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies