Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 03:43 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,159,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical87 View Post
I thought it was clear that the post wasnt a Hispanic-Bashing hatefest but just trying to break this idea of a unified hispanic people intent on taking over. That's why its not on the immigration forum and its here.
I hope your thread maintains its noble intent

Old 12-24-2008, 07:25 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,082,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathagos View Post
I've heard so many different definitions of hispanic that I'm not really sure what demographic it refers to. But, for the purposes of my post, I'll speak to Mexicans.

My wife works as a nurse at a pediatrician's office here in Texas. Needless to say, there are plenty of other nurses that are of either Mexican or other latin America countries. Because she's white, she keeps her mouth shut most of the time. But the way that many Mexicans speak about each other (or other latin Americans) is bad sometimes.

Often, when my wife goes in to take vitals and get information on the problems of the children, the mother will ask for a spanish-speaker. But when some of the hispanic/mexican nurses come out, they use bad terms and say things like "That sp*c can speak English, she just didn't want to!!" And it gets irritating to them because it doubles their workload if the patient isn't one of their own doctor's patients.

Additionally, they dislike illegal immigrants because they say it detracts from the hard work they put in (immigrating legally (or their parents did), getting the education, and working and paying into the system). They hate the way they are looked at by whites or even blacks because of actions of some people related to their demographic background. People follow them around shops apparently afraid they will shoplift, or ignore them entirely because they feel they don't have any money to spend anyway (and nurses are fairly well-paid for the town I live in!!).
I have heard these exact same comments come from my aunt's mouth....she's a legal immigrant that came here in the 60's from Mexico City and for 30+ years hired out as an interpreter for local law enforcement,lawyers,DPA and the courthouse.

She got very angry when she had to get up at 2am and drive a long ways to interpret for an agency and in the middle of it the person confided to her in spanish that he/she could speak english but is not going to so as to be a bigger pain in the ass.She would tell the officers and then walk out of the room.She absolutely HATES illegals and talks about them as if they are dogs because of the hoops she had to jump through to come here legally.She also talks about the differences between the "classes" of hispanics,latinos,mexicans (or whatever they want to be called this minute )and she says racism in America is nothing compared to S.O.B.....I don't know this for a fact because all I have is her word.

Old 12-24-2008, 08:03 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Quote:
I thought it was clear that the post wasnt a Hispanic-Bashing hatefest but just trying to break this idea of a unified hispanic people intent on taking over. That's why its not on the immigration forum and its here.
With friends like you who needs enemies.

Based upon your methods, please do me a favor and try not to explain the differences between people of African descent. We have enough problems already without your help.

Old 12-24-2008, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
with friends like you who needs enemies.

Based upon your methods, please do me a favor and try not to explain the differences between people of african descent. We have enough problems already without your help.
:d

Old 12-24-2008, 08:47 AM

1,094 posts, read 2,695,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
With friends like you who needs enemies.

Based upon your methods, please do me a favor and try not to explain the differences between people of African descent. We have enough problems already without your help.

Is it just me or is this guy trying to bring African Americans into the discussion?

Old 12-24-2008, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Is it just me or is this guy trying to bring African Americans into the discussion?
It's just you.

Old 12-24-2008, 10:21 AM

I see that you subtlety doesn't work for you so, I guess we'll have to apply the Dick and Jane method.

If your intent is to demonstrate the vast diversity of the Latin/Hispanic community, instead of anecdotal drivel about various forms of national chauvinism and out and out racism, you might have attempted to point out the different, social and political histories, and ethic origins of Mexicans and those originating from Central and South American and the former Spanish colonies of the Caribbean. So, rather than point out something of interest and sophistication we are treated to your treatise on language prejudices.

So, the point of my short but pointed remarks was to inform you that if in the future you decided to expound on the cultural, historic and political differences of people of African descent who have come to live in the US, from Africa, the Caribbean, South and Central America in the same didactic manner, please don't.

How was that?

Old 12-24-2008, 11:39 AM

3,645 posts, read 4,926,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
I have heard these exact same comments come from my aunt's mouth....she's a legal immigrant that came here in the 60's from Mexico City and for 30+ years hired out as an interpreter for local law enforcement,lawyers,DPA and the courthouse.

She got very angry when she had to get up at 2am and drive a long ways to interpret for an agency and in the middle of it the person confided to her in spanish that he/she could speak english but is not going to so as to be a bigger pain in the ass.She would tell the officers and then walk out of the room.She absolutely HATES illegals and talks about them as if they are dogs because of the hoops she had to jump through to come here legally.She also talks about the differences between the "classes" of hispanics,latinos,mexicans (or whatever they want to be called this minute )and she says racism in America is nothing compared to S.O.B.....I don't know this for a fact because all I have is her word.
Your aunt was and is correct!!!

Old 12-24-2008, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
Your aunt was and is correct!!!
I remember her talking about it a lot when I was a kid...not in a mean way,but my cousin and I were the same age and he caught a lot of crap at school about being half mexican.I would fist fight for him when that happened and his mom was explaining to us why folks were like that and how it was so much worse in Mexico.She said if he was in Mexico he would have it worse because he was half WHITE.As a white kid who had never experienced racism aimed at ME,I couldn't wrap my mind around it.I now understand.

Old 12-24-2008, 02:55 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,553,113 times
Like I said when the Hispanics were credited w/ giving Obama his victory...this does not guarantee the Democrats a majority for eons. Many may have united for the purpose of trying to get a path to citizenship (also many were against the war, don't forget), but once they get that -- it is not guaranteed that they will always vote Democratic. They are a very diverse group, even within their countries. In Argentina, for example, you will find Argentinians with ancestries as diverse as ours...French, Russian, Jewish, Italian, German, Spanish, Irish, indigenous, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies