Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 03:34 PM

4,173 posts, read 6,687,885 times

Advertisements

Invariably, presidential pardons (Dem / Rep) leave a bad taste. Maybe, this is too much authority, or maybe, it should be allowed but with some restrictions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2008, 04:18 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,784,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southern no more View Post
Bush pardons 19, commutes sentence of meth dealer - CNN.com Harborlady, here is the link. It was on CNN this morning. The dealer has put in 12 years so Bush ordered him released as of Feb. There is an abbreviated list on the site of his pardons, but there are more and many are drug related. Interesting, but not surprising.
Thanks. I'm a bit disappointed they didn't dig up the details of cases instead of vague summary. My opinion on individual cases is limited as result.

Calmdude I believe that when conflict of interests are involved it should be prohibited. These folks already had due process + ample opportunity to petition appeals in other courts. Undermining the law being the purpose? Get rid of pardons altogether. Compensating for miscarriage I can get behind preserving.

Nixon pardon (I think Ford meant well), iran contra, scooter? I prefer they maintain my personal illusion that justice is not for sale @ executive level TYVM.

Old 12-24-2008, 04:46 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,479,243 times
Executive pardon is a legal tradition that goes back for millenia. It is an unlimited power. It was written into the Constitution just as is for a reason, and it would take an amendment to get it out. That isn't going to happen...

Old 12-24-2008, 05:04 PM

217 posts, read 416,940 times
Default the same reason

Quote:
There doesn't seem to be much in the press about the fact that Bush has pardoned a bunch of drug dealers here at the end of his horrible term. This is usual of the media though. They only touch on the big issues and divert with small insignificant things. Does this concern anyone but me? Maybe he is wanting them out so he can use them to score some dopage later! Thaats it!

the same reason clinton pardoned all his cronies and the same reason obama will do the same..Rezko's money won Obamas race for him.. $700 million dollars worth.. a bought race..

Bush is an angel compared to obama.. watch now.. watch how much we will be taxed . watch how long people will be out of work.. Watch the illegals all get amnesty and watch how he will take our guns and watch his friends like rezko, ayers, wright, jackson,kahlidi all get favors.He is a corrupt chicago hoodlum and it will come out..

Old 12-24-2008, 06:10 PM

169 posts, read 562,085 times
coolnana5 Obama wont be causing us all that pain because he will be too busy trying to straighten out the disaster Bush has led us into! Go Obama!

Old 12-24-2008, 06:19 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,950,520 times
He pardoned some guy today and then withdrew it stating some additional evidence was provided that made them change their minds. How would you like to have that happen to you. haha

Old 12-26-2008, 06:47 PM

169 posts, read 562,085 times
It figures he would retract that, he probably forgot to check with daddy first.

Old 12-26-2008, 06:50 PM

37,218 posts, read 19,210,527 times
Quote:
Dick said he had to.

Old 12-26-2008, 07:00 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
Citizens Against Government Waste: Introduction (http://councilfor.cagw.org/site/PageServer?pagename=reports_Ratings_Intro - broken link)
Bush isn't the only one.

Old 12-26-2008, 07:32 PM

217 posts, read 416,940 times
Default intelligent

Quote:

can't wait to see who will pardon obama when he gets charged with all his corruption and he surely has plenty of crap under his belt...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies