Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 07:05 PM

3,645 posts, read 4,925,298 times

Advertisements

To me, this is the scariest thing that is and has been happening to our country. The complete dumbing down of our country. I have seen it for years and I am sure that most here have also. I have more and more people who seem to be more than happy to sit on the couch, guzzle beer and watch ridiculous reality television programs. I see less and less people who seem able to, or at least willing to, think for themselves. Has anyone else seen this happening? I can't believe that I am the only one because that would be make incredibly batty.

What will become of this once great nation if this continues at the pace that has been? What are your thoughts?

http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article21239.htm

America the Illiterate

]By Chris Hedges

November 16, 2008 "Truthdig" -- - We live in two Americas. One America, now the minority, functions in a print-based, literate world. It can cope with complexity and has the intellectual tools to separate illusion from truth. The other America, which constitutes the majority, exists in a non-reality-based belief system. This America, dependent on skillfully manipulated images for information, has severed itself from the literate, print-based culture. It cannot differentiate between lies and truth. It is informed by simplistic, childish narratives and clichés. It is thrown into confusion by ambiguity, nuance and self-reflection. This divide, more than race, class or gender, more than rural or urban, believer or nonbeliever, red state or blue state, has split the country into radically distinct, unbridgeable and antagonistic entities.

There are over 42 million American adults, 20 percent of whom hold high school diplomas, who cannot read, as well as the 50 million who read at a fourth- or fifth-grade level. Nearly a third of the nation’s population is illiterate or barely literate. And their numbers are growing by an estimated 2 million a year. But even those who are supposedly literate retreat in huge numbers into this image-based existence. A third of high school graduates, along with 42 percent of college graduates, never read a book after they finish school. Eighty percent of the families in the United States last year did not buy a book.

The illiterate rarely vote, and when they do vote they do so without the ability to make decisions based on textual information. American political campaigns, which have learned to speak in the comforting epistemology of images, eschew real ideas and policy for cheap slogans and reassuring personal narratives. Political propaganda now masquerades as ideology. Political campaigns have become an experience. They do not require cognitive or self-critical skills. They are designed to ignite pseudo-religious feelings of euphoria, empowerment and collective salvation. Campaigns that succeed are carefully constructed psychological instruments that manipulate fickle public moods, emotions and impulses, many of which are subliminal. They create a public ecstasy that annuls individuality and fosters a state of mindlessness. They thrust us into an eternal present. They cater to a nation that now lives in a state of permanent amnesia. It is style and story, not content or history or reality, which inform our politics and our lives. We prefer happy illusions. And it works because so much of the American electorate, including those who should know better, blindly cast ballots for slogans, smiles, the cheerful family tableaux, narratives and the perceived sincerity and the attractiveness of candidates. We confuse how we feel with knowledge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2008, 07:07 PM

Here is something else to go along with the OP.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xq2FdNElL9U

Old 12-28-2008, 07:09 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,934,385 times
It is true. I can't believe the ignorance of the younger generations with regard to this country's history, and the world at large. What the heck are they being taught in school?

Shameful.

Old 12-28-2008, 07:10 PM

403 posts, read 1,580,485 times
A lot of people now talk like they don't know how to talk. In e-mailing, people shorten words. People used to call men who were strangers, "sir" and women "ma'am", and when I was in school, we had to call other kids by their last names. Now kids call adults, "dude" and "hey lady" and etc.

Old 12-28-2008, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
It is true. I can't believe the ignorance of the younger generations with regard to this country's history, and the world at large. What the heck are they being taught in school?

Shameful.
They really don't do much teaching at all. It seems that they are way too afraid of hurting their self esteems and such.

Old 12-28-2008, 07:23 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,553,332 times
You're absolutely correct...WHY? It would take a week to get started...briefly, ALL technology eventually succeeds in "dumbing down" its users...ALL technology seeks to make the complex 'simple"..and to make ANYONE capable of doing things on his own, without outside help.

Reading takes effort, and concentration, and imagination...ANYONE, though, can watch a movie. Mathematics once required a high intelligence...calculators don't. Even MOVIES once took much effort and preparation to produce...but ANY "*******" can carry around a video recorder....and "reality" TV is really just uncouth "clods" acting themselves....no effort required..the 'cruder' the better.

Much too broad a subject to even BEGIN to address...but you're absolutely right, as knowledge and technology spread, their benificiaries become "dumber".....that's just a 'fact of life'. Even "Do-it-Yourselfers' fall into this category..today, ANYONE can tile a floor, or lay a patio, or put up crown molding..in ONE EASY WEEKEND....because there are "systems" to do this....and they're foolproof.

One final thought? I recall the "Civil War" miniseries a few years back, in which the author stated that MOST of what he learned came from the handwritten diaries of the SOLDIERS THEMSELVES....many of whom were "teenage farm boys"...yet their English was PHENOMENAL..their penmanship EXQUISITE...and their ability to convey fear, hope, and emotion on the written page was FAR superior to most professional "writers" today. Why?...I don't know...maybe because they HAD to learn to express themselves, and had no MTV, no IPods, and no Text Messaging.....do you think?

NOW...combine the above with a little "Political Correctness", and a determination to only teach "kind thoughts", and to never broach a subject that "everyone might not understand"...and BINGO !..What do we EXPECT?.....makes sense to me....

Old 12-28-2008, 07:24 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,395,538 times
somebody needs to kick off the cruise control really quick.

Old 12-28-2008, 07:47 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,570,857 times
Quote:

Shameful.
I was taught a lot. Trust me. I am still being taught. I go to college and I am not ignorant when it comes to these things. I know a lot about this countries history and politics.

But I know where you are coming from. I am always busy reading politics and reading history and my friends look at me like I am weird. I speak up against what I think is wrong and my friends ask me why I care! Talk about ignorance!

Just last night, I was talking to a friend about how stupid Americans are acting by not questioning why we spent 10 trillion in Iraq and he did not care. I said that that is more than enough money to give most people in our country health care. If not that, it is more than enough to send more students to school!

Why are we rebuilding Iraq? When it comes to this country, the question that goes through my head is always why, why, why why? I can never stop questioning the government and our current president or vice president either.

I have faith in Barack Obama () but have also questioned him and still am questioning.

People my age fail to understand the importance of keeping up and speaking up. It makes me angry to see my generation not give a care about what is going on. I often tell my friends that they should care. After all, it will be us living in this mess!

Old 12-28-2008, 07:53 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,015,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
To me, this is the scariest thing that is and has been happening to our country. The complete dumbing down of our country. I have seen it for years and I am sure that most here have also. I have more and more people who seem to be more than happy to sit on the couch, guzzle beer and watch ridiculous reality television programs. I see less and less people who seem able to, or at least willing to, think for themselves. Has anyone else seen this happening? I can't believe that I am the only one because that would be make incredibly batty.

What will become of this once great nation if this continues at the pace that has been? What are your thoughts?

http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article21239.htm

America the Illiterate

]By Chris Hedges

November 16, 2008 "Truthdig" -- - We live in two Americas. One America, now the minority, functions in a print-based, literate world. It can cope with complexity and has the intellectual tools to separate illusion from truth. The other America, which constitutes the majority, exists in a non-reality-based belief system. This America, dependent on skillfully manipulated images for information, has severed itself from the literate, print-based culture. It cannot differentiate between lies and truth. It is informed by simplistic, childish narratives and clichés. It is thrown into confusion by ambiguity, nuance and self-reflection. This divide, more than race, class or gender, more than rural or urban, believer or nonbeliever, red state or blue state, has split the country into radically distinct, unbridgeable and antagonistic entities.

There are over 42 million American adults, 20 percent of whom hold high school diplomas, who cannot read, as well as the 50 million who read at a fourth- or fifth-grade level. Nearly a third of the nation’s population is illiterate or barely literate. And their numbers are growing by an estimated 2 million a year. But even those who are supposedly literate retreat in huge numbers into this image-based existence. A third of high school graduates, along with 42 percent of college graduates, never read a book after they finish school. Eighty percent of the families in the United States last year did not buy a book.

The illiterate rarely vote, and when they do vote they do so without the ability to make decisions based on textual information. American political campaigns, which have learned to speak in the comforting epistemology of images, eschew real ideas and policy for cheap slogans and reassuring personal narratives. Political propaganda now masquerades as ideology. Political campaigns have become an experience. They do not require cognitive or self-critical skills. They are designed to ignite pseudo-religious feelings of euphoria, empowerment and collective salvation. Campaigns that succeed are carefully constructed psychological instruments that manipulate fickle public moods, emotions and impulses, many of which are subliminal. They create a public ecstasy that annuls individuality and fosters a state of mindlessness. They thrust us into an eternal present. They cater to a nation that now lives in a state of permanent amnesia. It is style and story, not content or history or reality, which inform our politics and our lives. We prefer happy illusions. And it works because so much of the American electorate, including those who should know better, blindly cast ballots for slogans, smiles, the cheerful family tableaux, narratives and the perceived sincerity and the attractiveness of candidates. We confuse how we feel with knowledge.
No ... Unfortunately what you are describing is true. I see the following issues in our society:

1. The quality of our education has gone down tremendously due to a variety of factors which I'll save for another thread.
2. Many Americans are foregoing reading for television and other recreational activities.
3. Many Americans are foregoing proper English and grammar when writing and speaking. This has been made worse with the advent of email and instant messaging.

Old 12-28-2008, 07:56 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,036,965 times
Quote:

Shameful.
Pot meet kettle.

On another matter...

Anyone see the irony of posting an article about illiteracy and lack of reading and then to reenforce their argument posts a link to YouTube? It's not a knock against the OP, but I found it to be mildly amusing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies