Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is the News Media: Pro-Hamas, Pro-Israel or Fairly Reporting The News
Pro-Hamas 75 35.21%
Pro-Israel 98 46.01%
Fairly Reporting The News 21 9.86%
Other 8 3.76%
Not Sure 11 5.16%
Voters: 213. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 04:48 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,832,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Palestinians have none of these rights and Israeli Arabs only have a few of them. From my perspective if Palestinians were given these rights as TN hilltopper suggested ie one person one vote there would not be a problem. However, they are not given these rights nor are they allowed self determination which is what separates Israel from the United States in this regard.
They have their own land, don't they? They have the West Bank and Gaza. If they didn't use those territories for entry points for suicide bombers and smuggling arms, Israel wouldn't need to control their borders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 04:55 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,394,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
They have their own land, don't they? They have the West Bank and Gaza. If they didn't use those territories for entry points for suicide bombers and smuggling arms, Israel wouldn't need to control their borders.
No they don't that is like saying... gee the native Americans have reservations so we do not need to give them rights and if Gernomo and Sitting Bull did not attack whites it would not be a problem. I will sum it up for you.

Gaza, is not allowed to trade with anyone and has no water because it was drained dry by Israel when they occupied it as such it is barely inhabitable and that is why people are living at the starvation level there.

The West Bank, is divided by Israeli roads and settlements and is occupied by the Israeli army. Essentially it is impossible for Palestinians to move around. Also all the water, electricity, roads etc. are controlled by Israel. If a Palestinian does work to make his land prosperous it is taken from him or her by settlers without due course of law often illegally under Israeli law though Israel really doesn't care.

Esentially the West Bank and Gaza are like The South African Homelands under Apartide and the Native American reservations under the Dawes act. They are where a bunch of dispossed people live often on the poorest lands and under the restrictions and at the mercy of an occupied power.

Old 01-13-2009, 05:03 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,963,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
I've been reading actual history, a lot of it written by Jews, in fact. Not sure if you get your information from AIPAC or from right-wing radio, but I'll pass on it. Yes, the Israelis were invaders, colonizers and thieves, and that is what they remain. And that has plenty of relation to a thread entitled "Everything to do with the Israel and Gaza conflict" (!)
Too much misinformation here!

Clearly the Israelites have been there for thousands of years along with their Christian and Muslim neighbors.

As far as the Israelis as being invaders... So what if they are? What nation on earth has not gained territory or political power through aggression and war? How the bleep do you think the USA was created! It is also called Manifest destiny.When did you last make a post about freeing Tibet?

But if you just hate Jews, say so, instead of wasting everyone's time!

One interesting point, the newly coined term Palistinian people and original Israeli People have one of the closest genetic scales of any ethnic group on earth Very easy donor match as well!

It is very sad how this thread has revealed so much hate and prejudice.

Old 01-13-2009, 05:14 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,481,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CometVoyager View Post
Too much misinformation here!
Point to the incorrect line.

Quote:
Clearly the Israelites have been there for thousands of years along with their Christian and Muslim neighbors.
Yes, and the PLO has always been clear that they consider pre-Balfour Jews and their families to be Palestinians with all the rights of any other Palestinians. The Zionist settlers were the problem, not the Jews as such.

Quote:
As far as the Israelis as being invaders... So what if they are? What nation on earth has not gained territory or political power through aggression and war? How the bleep do you think the USA was created! It is also called Manifest destiny.When did you last make a post about freeing Tibet?
Much of the USA was purchased, including my area of Michigan. Where treaties were broken, I am all on the side of the Native Americans. If they want independence, they should have independence; but generally speaking they don't. But as has been pointed out, they are already full citizens and can litigate their claims. Not even close to the same thing.

I'm all for a free Tibet and a free Kurdistan and a whole lot of other things. Lots of people write and speak very eloquently on those issues. But those national problems don't directly involve or endanger my country. Our support of Israeli colonialism does. So I turn such talents as I have toward what I think is our most pressing problem: our unprincipled and masochistic relationship with Israel.

Quote:
But if you just hate Jews, say so, instead of wasting everyone's time!
Don't you guys ever get tired of spouting the same hysterical crap? I hate to tell you but it's lost its shock value. It's become a running joke, just like "it's because I'm black, isn't it?" has been for a decade or two.

Quote:
One interesting point, the newly coined term Palistinian people and original Israeli People have one of the closest genetic scales of any ethnic group on earth Very easy donor match as well!
True, but irrelevant.

Old 01-13-2009, 05:46 PM

Quote:

The Zionist settlers were the problem, not the Jews as such.
Much of the USA was purchased.
All of the western world was conquered by "settlers"! And the natives were virtually wiped out by a continuous genocide.

As far as I know our country's inception was the result of a violent revolution and almost everything west of the great divide and Texas was acquired because of our victory in the Mexican American War!

Puerto Rico, as well as other territories were a result of war!

So why are your so called Zionists any different? Similar intentions, trying to flee from religions persecution and so on? I mean how many nations were legitimized as much as the Nation of Israel? DId the UN vote to make Iraq a nation or Iran? Or did Brittan just fold the map a certain way?

If you look at Sweden for example, how come their borders are where they are today? I remember my grandpa telling me how they were conquered many times by the Russians!

Finally where did the label of "Palestinian" originate? Are they Jewish, Christian or Muslim people or all of the above? My orthopedic surgeon is Palestinian and he is a Christian and his wife is a Jew and their kids are being raised as Jews he said. Was the term used in the old testament to describe a certain people? Just curious, as I heard several explanations that I am unable to confirm as true.

Old 01-13-2009, 06:12 PM

Quote:
All of the western world was conquered by "settlers"! And the natives were virtually wiped out by a continuous genocide.
Be that as it may, that is not a major ongoing crisis, and Palestine is. To whatever extent there is strife, I am nearly always on the side of the colonized peoples.

Quote:
As far as I know our country's inception was the result of a violent revolution and almost everything west of the great divide and Texas was acquired because of our victory in the Mexican American War!
I have no opposition to Aztlan independence, if it comes to that. Although as a matter of fact, the original Texas colony won its own independence and applied to join the United States. A lot of the present-day state of Texas was stolen in 1846-48, that is true.

Quote:
Puerto Rico, as well as other territories were a result of war!
Independence for them, too, if they want it.

Quote:
So why are your so called Zionists any different? Similar intentions, trying to flee from religions persecution and so on? I mean how many nations were legitimized as much as the Nation of Israel? DId the UN vote to make Iraq a nation or Iran? Or did Brittan just fold the map a certain way?
So-called Zionists? What, do you think I made the word up or something? Jewish colonists named their cause Zionism and called themselves Zionists, idk why that is supposed to be suspect.

How are they any different? Well, they aren't significantly different from other unwanted settlers and colonizers. What is different is that 1. we are fleeced to support them and 2. are expected to see them in a different light than, say, white invader populations who ruled African countries.

Quote:
If you look at Sweden for example, how come their borders are where they are today? I remember my grandpa telling me how they were conquered many times by the Russians!
Well, both the Russians and the Swedes seem pretty happy about the arrangement they have now, and neither of them live in refugee camps.

Quote:
Finally where did the label of "Palestinian" originate? Are they Jewish, Christian or Muslim people or all of the above? My orthopedic surgeon is Palestinian and he is a Christian and his wife is a Jew and their kids are being raised as Jews he said. Was the term used in the old testament to describe a certain people? Just curious, as I heard several explanations that I am unable to confirm as true.
Use of the word Palestinian to mean "Palestinian Arab" dates from the early 20th century. It has no connotation of religion, just locality and ethnicity. Before that it was strictly a geographic term.

Old 01-13-2009, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Be that as it may, that is not a major ongoing crisis, and Palestine is.
If I recall my American History our wars with Indian nations lasted 200+ years! That is a lot longer than the last 60+ years.

Anyway, since you are one of the more reasonable posters on this thread I have a question for you???

You are the one who has to make a decision of how to bring peace to this region of the world.
What would you do????

Old 01-13-2009, 07:03 PM

Quote:
If I recall my American History our wars with Indian nations lasted 200+ years! That is a lot longer than the last 60+ years.
Nevertheless, they are not ongoing.

Quote:
You are the one who has to make a decision of how to bring peace to this region of the world.
What would you do????
Resettle the Israelis somewhere other than Palestine. Give Israel an ultimatum: "We will pay up to $100,000 per person to resettle you anywhere in the world. (Works out to about $600 billion, less than we spent fighting Israel's enemies in Iraq and less than we spent on the financial system bailout.) You have two years to take it. After that, you're on your own, chumps. No more financial aid. No more diplomatic cover. No more moving heaven, earth and hell to keep your enemies from going nuclear. Sayonara."

Old 01-13-2009, 07:06 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Quote:
Nevertheless, they are not ongoing.

Resettle the Israelis somewhere other than Palestine.
So - who's land do you want to take away?

Why should they be "resettled"?

Old 01-13-2009, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
So - who's land do you want to take away?
If anyone's, it should be ours, since we did so much to cause the problem. But in fact, they will use the funds, as well as their own funds, to buy land anywhere they want. I would encourage settlement on Long Island, there is a large Jewish population there already and it's a decent size, so that in a few years perhaps it could become a revived Jewish state. But I'm not going to insist on any one spot.

Quote:
Why should they be "resettled"?
Because they are an alien population and there will be no peace until they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies