Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 10:09 PM

69 posts, read 259,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
One word: politics.
Call them Hispanics. Call them latinos. Call them Spanish-Americans. They are a definable group based on language, culture, music preference, spicy food, etc.

If they didn't all want to come to the U.S. maybe we wouldn't try to categorize these people so much...

Old 01-07-2009, 11:18 PM

568 posts, read 1,478,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Jarrett View Post
B.S not all are. Blonde haired and blue eyed Brazilian supermodel Gisele Bundchen for example is of 100% German ancestry. She grew up in a state in Brazil called Rio Grande Do sul where 81.7% of the population is White.
Rio Grande do Sul - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Notice the word you used is White not Hispanic..

Old 01-08-2009, 01:52 AM

42 posts, read 105,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mental_complex View Post
If they are using Hispanic as a cultural connection than yes! This wouldn't be true as a race.
who's "they"? I'm talking about what you meant by it

Old 06-15-2009, 05:41 PM

2 posts, read 2,486 times
Quote:
[FONT=Verdana]I really don't understand this urge to incorrectly indentify Hispanics/Latinos as their own race. They're made of mix blood: Whites, Blacks, and Indians, but because they speak a common language and share similar cultures we must shuffle them all into one big pile. Why is this? You're thoughts please. [/FONT]

Its funny that I came across this, I've always Considered myself a hispanic or Latina because of my background (Born and raised in NY). But alway referred myself more Hispanic-Caribbean descent. When I lived in the Caribbean, I never heard anyone referred themself as either thou, which I found it very odd, but figured why should they if they are in their origin land. Understand that the word Hispanic was referred to slaves back in Columbus time. When he first arrived in HISPANOLA (Dominican Republic/Haiti) the slaves then were referred as hispanics and because thats how New World was name HISPANOLA, because of its settlements of African Descedents and European Descents along with the Tainos, who are the Natives of the land, from also Aztecs and Mayan descents (Mesoamericans) that had settled in the Caribbean Islands before the arrival of the Europeans. Latinos, in the other hand, was referred because of the Origin of the Spanish, French, Porteguese (even the Brazillians refer themselve as hispanics or Latino) Language, the root of the language that many of these African Descedents and Europeans speak in today's modern world. That's why it is very important in term on how to to refer to Hispanics/Latinos when addressing them. Latino because of the root of the language, as for hispanics because of the name that was given to them by Christopher Columbus. (Spanish, French and Portegues).

Old 08-30-2013, 04:42 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,545,982 times
The way to undermine the system that uses 'Hispanic' as a race is for everyone to claim to be it.

No one can prove you aren't 'Hispanic'.

Old 08-30-2013, 04:48 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,567,226 times
Quote:
I really don't understand this urge to incorrectly indentify Hispanics/Latinos as their own race. They're made of mix blood: Whites, Blacks, and Indians, but because they speak a common language and share similar cultures we must shuffle them all into one big pile. Why is this? You're thoughts please.

You can thank the US Census Bureau back in the 1970's when they couldn't figure out how to identify people of Spanish speaking orgins in their population count. They basically grouped them around language and heritage so a black Dominican who speaks Spanish is considered "Hispanic" While Haitians are not even though they live on the same island.

Old 08-30-2013, 04:53 PM

^ Yes I know that but I was pointing out how the Census Bureau considers them to be "black" instead.

Old 08-30-2013, 04:56 PM

62,959 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObscureOpulence View Post
Lol. No "they" don't all like spicy food. That's like saying all people in Europe like bland fish and chips.

Not a good analogy because all the countries in Europe have individual cultures and languages. Most Latinos do share a common culture which includes native foods and a common language.

Old 08-30-2013, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Not a good analogy because all the countries in Europe have individual cultures and languages. Most Latinos do share a common culture which includes native foods and a common language.
You really do not know a lot of Latinos then. Should we say blacks in the US are similar to whites because they share a common language?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies