Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 12:06 PM

1,843 posts, read 2,371,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Actually, the quote "A lie told often enough becomes truth" is attributed to Vladimir Ilyich Lenin.

I guess his ideals took a backseat to practicality, not an uncommon occurence in ideology land

That last is a brilliant statement, and so true, so true!

Goebbels is credited with

“If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it. The lie can be maintained only for such time as the State can shield the people from the political, economic and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the truth is the greatest enemy of the State.”

and

“The most brilliant propagandist technique will yield no success unless one fundamental principle is borne in mind constantly - it must confine itself to a few points and repeat them over and over”

He certainly wouldn't have been above stealing from Lenin, who had more brains than the entire Third Reich. On the other hand, the reverse would probably be true too. Great minds do work alike, don't they? I think Goebbels personal best was

“Intellectual activity is a danger to the building of character”

Ya gotta love the Ultra Right!

http://thinkexist.com/quotes/joseph_goebbels/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2009, 12:11 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
It looks like SANRENE, the OP did not respond. Did it abandon the thread?

Might be off keepin' an eye on them pinko-commie Liberals.

After all, school buses get flat tires, break downs and other ills, no tellin' where them damn commies will show up next

Old 01-20-2009, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Might be off keepin' an eye on them pinko-commie Liberals.

After all, school buses get flat tires, break downs and other ills, no tellin' where them damn commies will show up next

Yeah, but taking advantage of the situation to follow up on your comment, you know the big difference between guys like Goebbels and guys like Lenin? Goebbels was a propagandist and he knew it. He manipulated the truth, knowingly, to achieve an effect. The truth itself was understood from the beginning, just subverted. Lenin, and more properly Stalin believed (as your quote suggests) that they actually controlled what is true, not just public perception. If you've read Alexander Solzhenitsyn its quite a spooky mindset. He talks about how Stalin would make people disappear, making them "unpersons". It then became a crime to know or speak of the unperson. In later waves of his purges the relatives, associates, childhood friends and teachers of the unperson would also disappear. Even things like yearbooks and family photos were edited so as to leave no trace. They bragged that within a generation it was as if the person had never existed in the first place. How blessed we are in the USA, and how little we usually make of our blessings.

Alexander Solzhenitsyn quotes

Old 01-20-2009, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatchance2005 View Post
Yeah, but taking advantage of the situation to follow up on your comment, you know the big difference between guys like Goebbels and guys like Lenin? Goebbels was a propagandist and he knew it. He manipulated the truth, knowingly, to achieve an effect. The truth itself was understood from the beginning, just subverted. Lenin, and more properly Stalin believed (as your quote suggests) that they actually controlled what is true, not just public perception. If you've read Alexander Solzhenitsyn its quite a spooky mindset. He talks about how Stalin would make people disappear, making them "unpersons". It then became a crime to know or speak of the unperson. In later waves of his purges the relatives, associates, childhood friends and teachers of the unperson would also disappear. Even things like yearbooks and family photos were edited so as to leave no trace. They bragged that within a generation it was as if the person had never existed in the first place. How blessed we are in the USA, and how little we usually make of our blessings.

Alexander Solzhenitsyn quotes
They're all just manipulators of people. I don't believe Lenin & Stalin actually believed they changed the truth, only what people saw as the truth. Add Tail Gunner Joe McCarthy to the group, just another lyin' SOB trying to feather his own nest and not caring who suffered in the process.

Old 01-20-2009, 12:52 PM

Quote:
They're all just manipulators of people. I don't believe Lenin & Stalin actually believed they changed the truth, only what people saw as the truth. Add Tail Gunner Joe McCarthy to the group, just another lyin' SOB trying to feather his own nest and not caring who suffered in the process.

Its hard to say, some of the Communist's ideology got so far out there, when it reached the point where just being photographed next to someone could send you and your family and friends to prison. That's why I dislike so intensely the gambits like the Bill Ayres thing, and the sleaze about Carol Browner.

Old 01-20-2009, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatchance2005 View Post
Its hard to say, some of the Communist's ideology got so far out there, when it reached the point where just being photographed next to someone could send you and your family and friends to prison. That's why I dislike so intensely the gambits like the Bill Ayres thing, and the sleaze about Carol Browner.

But we know the "Communist" leaders have no problem lining their own pockets at the expense of others, so much for that "common good" blather.

Old 01-20-2009, 12:56 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Who do you think foisted the product onto the policymakers, Greenpeace?
Well, yes. Among others...

Energy Answers: Greenpeace supports Cellulosic Ethanol

Old 01-20-2009, 01:13 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,980,420 times
I've been fueling my F-350 Powerstroke diesel with biofuel for over two years now. I recently took a 350 mile round trip to Connecticut in single digit temperatures with no problem. Why? Because I have common sense! B100 (100% biodiesel) does not work well in cold temperatures. This is not news. In temperatures like the ones experienced by those buses, the biodiesel must be mixed or "cut" to at least B75 (75% biodiesel/25% petroleum diesel) problem solved. This is simply ignorance on the part of the school district that implemented the policy. Anti-gel additives like those that work on petroleum diesel are still in their infancy with regard to biofuels. Oh and one more thing, I'm sure the Middle East is thrilled to hear that so many people are so misinformed about biodiesel. The ashtrays are getting full on their Rolls Royces and they need ones. Every gallon I use comes from an American farmer-how about you?

Old 01-20-2009, 01:13 PM

Quote:
But we know the "Communist" leaders have no problem lining their own pockets at the expense of others, so much for that "common good" blather.

Oh yes! But I do see a difference. I think the Stalinists tried to make "unpersons" of people to make their ideas and what they stood for disappear. The nazi's on the other hand needed their enemies. Without them who could be blamed.

Old 01-20-2009, 03:18 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,016,556 times
Example of the stupidity of conservative policies:

the Patriot Act.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies