Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 09:05 PM

4,538 posts, read 4,813,989 times

Advertisements

It doesn't help to give tax dollars to those who don't pay income tax, and besides we pay a lot to those who are at the lower spectrum, often to subsidize children they they could not afford to bear in the first place. It won't help to give tax breaks to the wealthy, in fact, we need to institute a more progressive tax code to tax the super wealthy more at this time in our history.
The Middle Class has always been, and will always be, the driver of the American economy. Unfortunately, short-sided, pro-corporation incentives have allowed good-paying middle class jobs to be outsourced by the hundreds of thousands, while wealthy CEOs gave themselves billions in bonuses as 'reward' for their cost-cutting.
The past 8 years has seen the greatest upward movement of wealth since the Hoover years. The results are proving to be the same.
America needs to find a way to empower the Middle Class, now with good paying jobs, and in the future with affordable education to equip American youth to handle the technical jobs that pay well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2009, 07:22 PM

707 posts, read 1,022,850 times
Default What income is considered middle class

I'm a single mother of 3, two of which are freshmen in college. I made 82K last year and was told that i do not qualify for the Hope or Lifetime education credit. So I guess my question is, WHO IS CONSIDERED MIDDLE CLASS IF I AM NOT? I am so tired of hearing about helping the low income. I have a friend, she only paid about 4K in federal income tax, but recieved 6K back on her tax refund.

I'm frustrated, its extremely hard to make ends meet and with these student loans i've just accumulated on behalf of my children, when will the government look out for me?

Old 02-07-2009, 07:44 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,484,309 times
Quote:
Originally posted by KRAMERKAT

It doesn't help to give tax dollars to those who don't pay income tax, and besides we pay a lot to those who are at the lower spectrum, often to subsidize children they they could not afford to bear in the first place. It won't help to give tax breaks to the wealthy, in fact, we need to institute a more progressive tax code to tax the super wealthy more at this time in our history.
The Middle Class has always been, and will always be, the driver of the American economy. Unfortunately, short-sided, pro-corporation incentives have allowed good-paying middle class jobs to be outsourced by the hundreds of thousands, while wealthy CEOs gave themselves billions in bonuses as 'reward' for their cost-cutting.
The past 8 years has seen the greatest upward movement of wealth since the Hoover years. The results are proving to be the same.
America needs to find a way to empower the Middle Class, now with good paying jobs, and in the future with affordable education to equip American youth to handle the technical jobs that pay well.
You know, I never thought about it until this year. But because there are far more middle class people than "rich" people, then wouldn't it make sense to empower--economically--the largest, most influential class in society? Not to soak the rich so much, but not to cater to their every wish either. I have no stats on this, but just going on my own logic.

BTW...I do wonder what is considered "middle class" officially.

Old 02-07-2009, 08:15 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,485,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proudmama View Post
I'm a single mother of 3, two of which are freshmen in college. I made 82K last year and was told that i do not qualify for the Hope or Lifetime education credit. So I guess my question is, WHO IS CONSIDERED MIDDLE CLASS IF I AM NOT? I am so tired of hearing about helping the low income. I have a friend, she only paid about 4K in federal income tax, but recieved 6K back on her tax refund.

I'm frustrated, its extremely hard to make ends meet and with these student loans i've just accumulated on behalf of my children, when will the government look out for me?
Both credits are unavailable to singles filers with Adjusted Gross Income of more than $58K, and that was in fact the top end of the middle quintile (40% to 60%) for household income in 2007. The bottom end of that quintile was at $36K. At $82K, you'd have been at maybe the 77th or 78th percentile (and into the 90's as a female) and the Tax Man doesn't think of you as being middle class anymore at those levels, even though it can be very tough to support a 4-person family on that in many areas of the country.

Old 02-08-2009, 08:34 AM

707 posts, read 1,022,850 times
I live in Essex County/Bloomfield. So what the government is saying to someone like me is. Do not send your child to a University, send them to community college or a business trade school. It seems that only those who's parents make less than $58K are given a chance by the government. Only those who make over $200K are given a break by the government.

Those of us who are in the $80K - $90K range are just left out there to survive on our own. But god forbid, we need help too.

Old 02-08-2009, 08:43 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,792,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proudmama View Post
I live in Essex County/Bloomfield. So what the government is saying to someone like me is. Do not send your child to a University, send them to community college or a business trade school. It seems that only those who's parents make less than $58K are given a chance by the government. Only those who make over $200K are given a break by the government.

Those of us who are in the $80K - $90K range are just left out there to survive on our own. But god forbid, we need help too.
Uhm.....nothing is wrong with community college....but in any case, if you knew your kids were going to attend college, why didn't you save to send them or help them out some?

Are not eligible for scholarships at a four year college or university?
Can they not take out federal loans?
I'm not sure if this has happened already but there is this program called College Goal Sunday that might be of some help to you. Good luck.

Old 02-08-2009, 09:04 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,145,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveTodayLez08 View Post
why didn't you save to send them or help them out some?
I can't speak for the other poster, but I know what she is going through. Right before our son went off to college we were faced with astronomical medical bills for a parent fighting cancer, a stock-market down-turn, and a job change. Our college savings went defunct very quickly. And then, when you add in the fact that the FAFSA EFC is based in part on those savings and certain income levels you'll find that it really doesn't matter whether you've saved or not, the middle class family does get royally ripped when it comes to paying for college. Your better off being completely rich and paying full tilt, or flat broke and paying little to nothing.... JMHO

Old 02-08-2009, 09:16 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,792,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
I can't speak for the other poster, but I know what she is going through. Right before our son went off to college we were faced with astronomical medical bills for a parent fighting cancer, a stock-market down-turn, and a job change. Our college savings went defunct very quickly. And then, when you add in the fact that the FAFSA EFC is based in part on those savings and certain income levels you'll find that it really doesn't matter whether you've saved or not, the middle class family does get royally ripped when it comes to paying for college. Your better off being completely rich and paying full tilt, or flat broke and paying little to nothing.... JMHO
I understand. I do.
My parents didn't save a dime for my college education. They just figured I'd get scholarships to pay for it all since I did so well in high school.
I do have a scholarship that pays for my tuition and I pay for my books with a federal loan/

I hate the FAFSA, I really do. I don't see why you just can't check a box on your tax return and say you'd like this to be considered for financial aid for college. I'm not really explaining it well but...yeah.

It would be nice if the government raised the income level to qualify for the Pell Grant and raise the amount that you receive for a pell grant.
Of course that money's got to come from somewhere so...

Old 02-08-2009, 11:09 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,328,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post

Don't tax Individuals - Tax Corporations!

Old 02-08-2009, 11:13 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,864,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
Care to define who is the "super wealthy".... sometimes I wish that everyone who says "wealthy" would define on who "they" are.... I am not psychic...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies