Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 02:29 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,961,908 times

Advertisements

Judge rejects Obama bid to stall Gitmo trial - USATODAY.com

Wow. He' got some big brass ones, don't you think?

Quote:
SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico (AP) — A military judge at Guantanamo on Thursday rejected a White House request to suspend a hearing for the alleged mastermind of the USS Cole bombing, creating an unexpected challenge for the Obama administration as it reviews the U.S. war-crimes trials process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 02:32 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,453,101 times
Hahahaha I wonder if he will feel the wrath of obama?

Old 01-29-2009, 02:34 PM

It will be interesting if he does withdraw the charges...........
I wonder does obama think he is playing "risk"..........

But Pohl wrote in his ruling that "on its face, the request to delay the arraignment is not reasonable."

Navy Lt. Cmdr. Stephen Reyes, the Pentagon-appointed attorney for Abd al-Rahim al-Nashiri, said the decision gives the Obama administration few options.

"The next step, if the government wants to halt the proceedings, is to withdraw the charges," Reyes said. "Now it's in the government's hands," he said. "I have no idea what they're going to do."

Last edited by Miborn; 01-29-2009 at 02:36 PM.. Reason: add

Old 01-29-2009, 02:38 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,065,499 times
The judges decision makes sense. To delay the arraignment might jeopardize future prosecution on the grounds that the defendant wasn't granted a speedy trial. The Judge can go ahead with the reading of charges and set the trial date for some distance date in the future, Obama's request is then met as are the rights of the defendant.

As usual, the uninformed attempted to see the forrest but keep having their vision blocked by the trees.

Old 01-29-2009, 03:01 PM

1,843 posts, read 2,371,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Judge rejects Obama bid to stall Gitmo trial - USATODAY.com

Wow. He' got some big brass ones, don't you think?

Now how can any sane person possibly read this article and come up with "pound sand buddy"? I mean I've heard of people pulling stuff out of their rectum, but this sets a whole new standard. The guy was up for his preliminary hearing. Obama had previously requested all the undecided judicial proceedings be put on hold pending the decisions on what they'll do with the detainees. The judge says he plans to proceed with this hearing because "no substantive legal issues would be litigated". The Pentagon is reviewing the judges decision, and promises full compliance with all of Obama's orders. Either way they decide, nothing happens. I'm sure if the judge was insane and decided to defy the President they'd relieve him immediately, but there's nothing to indicate anything but routine military legal proceedings. I think your sand must have got pounded a long time ago.

Old 01-29-2009, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
It will be interesting if he does withdraw the charges...........
I wonder does obama think he is playing "risk"..........

But Pohl wrote in his ruling that "on its face, the request to delay the arraignment is not reasonable."

Navy Lt. Cmdr. Stephen Reyes, the Pentagon-appointed attorney for Abd al-Rahim al-Nashiri, said the decision gives the Obama administration few options.

"The next step, if the government wants to halt the proceedings, is to withdraw the charges," Reyes said. "Now it's in the government's hands," he said. "I have no idea what they're going to do."

I agree with the judge, as he also said proceeding was reasonable because "no substantive legal issues would be litigated". If you're surprised the defense attorney said he'd move for dismissal, don't be. They do it all the time! The Pentagon is reviewing the judge's decision and promises full compliance with the Commander in Chief's order.

If for some reason the judge suddenly went nuts and decided to defy the President I'm sure the Pentagon would relieve him immediately, as it would indicate he wasn't competent to sit on the bench. The judge isn't insane though, and appears to be trying to be as just as Obama would want him to be to the defendant in a situation that's already been enough of an embarrassment to the country.

Old 01-29-2009, 04:24 PM

2,260 posts, read 3,882,428 times
Hes not a defendant, he has no rights. Someone should walk into his cell, put a gun to his head and execute him

Old 01-29-2009, 04:29 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,540,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan61 View Post
Hes not a defendant, he has no rights. Someone should walk into his cell, put a gun to his head and execute him
That is not what this country stands for, and anyone that supports this kind of action by this country is a f-ing traitor, and needs to find a country to move to that meets their level of barbarism and violation of law.

Old 01-29-2009, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
That is not what this country stands for, and anyone that supports this kind of action by this country is a f-ing traitor, and needs to find a country to move to that meets their level of barbarism and violation of law.
I suppose that is your opinion. And they have a right to their opinion.
I happen to agree those sort of acts against our people should not be tolerated and he should have had an accident!

Old 01-29-2009, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan61 View Post

Those days are over, at least for the next 4 years. Might as well get used to it. The USA is rejoining the human race!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies