Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2009, 08:20 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,584,379 times

Advertisements

Exxon Mobil Corp. on Friday reported a profit of $45.2 billion for 2008, breaking its own record for a U.S. company, even as its fourth-quarter earnings fell 33 percent from a year ago.

ABC News: Exxon Mobil Shatters US Record for Annual Profit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2009, 08:34 AM

1,048 posts, read 2,387,629 times
Good for them! At least some companies are doing well.

Old 01-30-2009, 09:18 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,032,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Exxon Mobil Corp. on Friday reported a profit of $45.2 billion for 2008, breaking its own record for a U.S. company, even as its fourth-quarter earnings fell 33 percent from a year ago.

ABC News: Exxon Mobil Shatters US Record for Annual Profit
Shell lost money the 4th quarter. What is important is the trend and that is bad.

Old 01-30-2009, 09:42 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,833,505 times
Its good to see that some industries won't need to get ihn the bailout line.

Old 01-30-2009, 02:10 PM

152 posts, read 212,077 times
Default Black Gold, Texas Tea

Thank you OP for this thread.

Hooray for Exxon.

Some are forgeting we have the Amercian version of Hugo Chavez - Obama.

Chavez nationalized his oil.

Obama will nationalize American health care, will he also nationalize the oil industry?

He has promised to tax the rich.

Obama is against freedom of speech, as Hugo Chavez is.

Does anybody else see the similarity?

Problems with taxing the rich are:

The rich-
If I'm going to pay higher taxes, I guess I do not need to open new wings in hospitals in my name.
I no longer need to donate to college scholarships.
I no longer need to buy or fund a football league.
I no longer need to contribute to school sports programs or lunch programs.

Congress makes stupid decisions and mismanages our money all the time.

If they are going to tax me, because I'm rich and because I know how to manage my money; I will stop donating, contributing, and I will not open any more businesses, our personally bailout any more businesses.

Olympic contestants, guess who funds them?

Oil companies-
You can not tell me how to spend my money, it is a risky business.

I'm doing what I can, but; continue blaming me for your failed mismanagement; I'll start taking my time drilling for more oil, etc. When my refinery brakes down, I'll take my time repairing it. Oh I know, I'll start making my refinery more green; since that is the fade now. But in the process:
I'll have to take it off line. Plus the cost per barrel will go up, and output will be slower.

Do you think the rich want their money (tax dollars) funding abortion, condoms, the gay rights movement, more free support for illegal aliens, more money for Fannie Mae and Freddy Mac,( When we know that is the #1 problem that started all this; and Congress is still propping it up with a bandaid).

Killing the sports industry will only cause more americans to join the fat club.

Ask an Army drill intructor, how long it takes to work the fat off a new soldier to make him combat ready.

If you think the rich does not know how to retaliate, just wait and see.

Unemployment is up now because the banks are not giving out the credit. Unemployment will be worse if you **** off the rich.

The drive by media will, tell you the banks are getting the bailout, but the banks are not giving out credit. The media will not tell you the reason why. The reason why, is because the banks still own mortgages funded by Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac. Sixty percent of those mortgages that were bailedout fell back into foreclosure within six months. If I was a bank owner, I would wonder, why give me money for a bailout if you are going to continue Fannie Mae and Freddy Mac. We'll still be in the same situation.

Alot of states are asking for the bailout because they are hurting too. State Govenors are scratching their heads right now wondering what to do.

Each state draws most of their revenue from property taxes. Each time a house falls into foreclosure, the state losses money. Each time a house falls in forecolsure, the value of the houses in the neighborhood also fall. Adding to the lost revenue for the state.

All because President Clinton wanted to give the poor a means to buy a house.

They cannot afford it.

My next question for Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac is, what happens when the roof starts to leak?

Being a home owner it is my responiblity to repair it. Since they can't afford it, we'll be looking at the whole thing all over again.

Obama said he will stop programs that do not work. This is one of them. However he isn't going to stop this program, because these two were major campaign contributors.

The drive by media will not tell you that the African American will fund 75 percent of the Schip bill, if it passes. Without even filing a 1040. It will come straight out of his pocket.
Not to mention Schip also funds the illegal aliens.

The drive by media doesn't know how to do investigative reporting anymore.

Remember when Congress wanted us, to take social security and invest it in the stock market? Sure glad that didn't happen.

Sorry if I got off target a little bit, but the ignorance of our Congressmen just astounds me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies