Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 09:58 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,618,997 times

Advertisements

CARACAS, Venezuela — President Hugo Chavez on Sunday threatened to cut off oil sales to the United States if Exxon Mobil Corp. wins court judgments to seize billions of dollars in Venezuelan assets.

"If you end up freezing (Venezuelan assets) and it harms us, we're going to harm you," Chavez said, directing his words to U.S. President George W. Bush. "Do you know how? We aren't going to send oil to the United States. Take note, Mr. Bush, Mr. Danger."

FOXNews.com - Chavez Threatens to Cut Off Oil Sales to U.S., Calls Exxon Mobil 'Outlaws' - International News | News of the World | Middle East News | Europe News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2008, 10:05 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,960,642 times
I hope he does.. make this country use alternate fuels.. then when we dont buy his gas anymore, watch his country go bankrupt.

That man is another nut job.. and not worthy of our attention. We could squash him and his regime in a week.

Old 02-10-2008, 10:05 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,229,470 times
Exxon should win, Chavez basically seized the assets and established the price. Shift the oil sources, it is all fungible. Chavez (thankfully) will soon be history as a meaningful leader.

Thank you Venezuelian citizens.

Old 02-11-2008, 09:12 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,198,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Exxon should win, Chavez basically seized the assets and established the price. Shift the oil sources, it is all fungible. Chavez (thankfully) will soon be history as a meaningful leader.

Thank you Venezuelian citizens.
Chavez offered compensation that was declined by Exxon. I am trying to location better information on what the amount of the compensation was, but there isn't much out there on it just yet. (lack of Britney Spears in the by-line I guess)

Considering the relationship with Iraq which is starting their Oil Bourse this week or next, there seems to be a bit of an economic war against the petro-dollar taking place. I suspect the combined efforts of Iran and Venezuela will have a tangible effect on oil prices, but to what extent is hard to say.

As to whatever happens between the injunction and amount of compensation given to Exxon, I doubt they will have a continued presence in Venezuela. The little I have read on this, I have come across several articles in various places stating that Exxon is quite heavy handed in ruthless in protecting what it sees as its interest and it matters not if their opposition is a group of fishermen, environmentalist , other corporations, or even governments.

Old 02-11-2008, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Chavez offered compensation that was declined by Exxon. I am trying to location better information on what the amount of the compensation was, but there isn't much out there on it just yet. (lack of Britney Spears in the by-line I guess)

Considering the relationship with Iraq which is starting their Oil Bourse this week or next, there seems to be a bit of an economic war against the petro-dollar taking place. I suspect the combined efforts of Iran and Venezuela will have a tangible effect on oil prices, but to what extent is hard to say.

As to whatever happens between the injunction and amount of compensation given to Exxon, I doubt they will have a continued presence in Venezuela. The little I have read on this, I have come across several articles in various places stating that Exxon is quite heavy handed in ruthless in protecting what it sees as its interest and it matters not if their opposition is a group of fishermen, environmentalist , other corporations, or even governments.

I am the LAST person to defend Exxon, but Chavez is one of the few who make me Exxon sympathetic. If he wanted to force a sale, he had multiple ways of doing this, what he did is equivalent of me going up to your house and demanding you turn it over to me at my stated price. Where was an international appraisal of fair market value, that could be used as a starting point in negotiations?

Every business has a value, and there are multiple ways to calculate this. But don't bother trying to find Chavez's baseline analysis of the market value, it was simply a declaration.

Old 02-11-2008, 09:42 AM
Noc

1,435 posts, read 2,070,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
I hope he does.. make this country use alternate fuels.. then when we dont buy his gas anymore, watch his country go bankrupt.
I too wish this would happen...not to just him though.

Old 02-11-2008, 09:46 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,867,274 times
Quote:
I am the LAST person to defend Exxon, but Chavez is one of the few who make me Exxon sympathetic. If he wanted to force a sale, he had multiple ways of doing this, what he did is equivalent of me going up to your house and demanding you turn it over to me at my stated price. Where was an international appraisal of fair market value, that could be used as a starting point in negotiations?
You can't be against that... the U.S. government does this all the time with imminent domain. What we do ourselves, we can't say other countries can't do.

Quote:
Every business has a value, and there are multiple ways to calculate this. But don't bother trying to find Chavez's baseline analysis of the market value, it was simply a declaration.
Thats the risk of doing business internationally. Exxon knew the risk and they lost. So be it.

Old 02-11-2008, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
You can't be against that... the U.S. government does this all the time with imminent domain. What we do ourselves, we can't say other countries can't do.

Thats the risk of doing business internationally. Exxon knew the risk and they lost. So be it.
Nonsense X 2.

We do not take property all the time, without independent appraised value.

Doing business internationally does not mean they take your assets at their declared price. Only a nation with a remarkably short sighted leader would do this, unless they had the leverage (Putin) to pull it off without financial retribution. Chavez ain't that powerful, as he is about to discover.

Old 02-11-2008, 09:51 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,198,730 times
Quote:

I would like to know what was offered as well. I suspect it likely favored Venezuela obviously, but just for the sake of argument, what if Chavez offered what could be deemed, "a fair market value"? Now if it is ruled in Exxon's favor and Venezuela is forced to cough up the amount, what effects will this have in the US being Venezuela supplies like 12-14% of our oil.

Old 02-11-2008, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
I would like to know what was offered as well. I suspect it likely favored Venezuela obviously, but just for the sake of argument, what if Chavez offered what could be deemed, "a fair market value"? Now if it is ruled in Exxon's favor and Venezuela is forced to cough up the amount, what effects will this have in the US being Venezuela supplies like 12-14% of our oil.
Exxon was arguing for fair market value in court, Chavez finds this inconvenient:

BBC NEWS | Business | Exxon seeks deal on Venezuela oil
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies