Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 07:09 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,314,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Every now and then, I hear a touch of Chicago. That's all. His mom and grandparents, who raised him, were from Kansas, where they have practically no accent, speak TV broadcaster speech, sometimes a little drawly.
good ol chicago accent. Yeah I hear a little bit of it every now & then, but as far as ebonics, not really, unless he's in front of a church congregation or if he's being sarcastic

Old 03-26-2009, 07:12 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,033,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
He'll slip into that sort of semi-black vernacular every now and then when around predominantly black audiences (a friend of mine does the same thing --- goes from educated, flat American English to sorta black country in 2 seconds if a family member calls)..... but in general, Obama's accent is pretty midwestern.

It DOES grate on me how he says POK-EE-STON though. Or TAHLEEBON. Or those long, deep, "Aaaaands" that often punctuate his speech. But I'm just being picky.

Nothing comparable to the way Bush slaughtered the English language though.
Pokeeeeeeeeestahn is really tough to hear. Very affected.

What I don't get is where he gets that sort of southern thing. South Side of Chicago? Or Hawaii? When he puts a soft A on the end of a word ending with Y like "country"....to some audiences (black) it becomes "countra"....What a fake.

I actually liked Pres. Bush and his manner of speaking. He was a man of few words...and he did create some on his own. My fav was strategery. I use it whenever possible, pretty funny.

Old 03-26-2009, 07:19 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,314,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omle View Post

What I don't get is where he gets that sort of southern thing. South Side of Chicago? Or Hawaii? When he puts a soft A on the end of a word ending with Y like "country"....to some audiences (black) it becomes "countra"....What a fake.

I actually liked Pres. Bush and his manner of speaking. He was a man of few words...and he did create some on his own. My fav was strategery. I use it whenever possible, pretty funny.
true, but a lot of politicians do that. I saw hilary trying to talk with a "southern drawl" in Georgia (or was it alabama)

Old 03-29-2009, 02:06 PM

3,100 posts, read 3,302,796 times
When you're in that position, kinda have to cater to the whole of the country, which is basically middle America. You sound like you're "above" them, they pick up on that ****.

Old 03-29-2009, 02:17 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,285,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omle View Post

How to pronounce "Pakistan" - Results for Pakistan

The "a" ending to some words is more of a church thing. I've been to many churches whose ministers used that form of speech. I don't necessarily like it, but it doesn't offend me.

President Bush's speech did bother me, mostly because he's from Connecticut, and his accent is half-a$$ cowboy. A total affectation. To affect an accent on an occasional basis, especially humorously, doesn't bother me - I do it myself (now you know why it doesn't bother me ).

Old 03-29-2009, 02:20 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,279,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
When President Bush was in office, it seems many people had a problem with his Southern, or Texan accent. Much was made about it, and he was lampooned for it.

I have not heard the same for President Obama's Ebonics accent, or at least I don't hear it on the news programs, nor is it lampooned on TV at this time.

Is it just a matter of time for this to happen, or does President Obama get a pass on it? If so, why the double standard? Or is it just my hearing and he does not have an Ebonics accent?
He does not have an "Ebonics" accent. How absurd.

Old 03-29-2009, 02:27 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,529,163 times
The only time I've maybe, have heard him possibly "speak like a black man" (why do we even have to go there) is when he says America in a rally.
Other than that, sorry, he has no accent.
It's rumored that W's was a fake one anyway. Notice who neither Jeb non H.W. lay it on like he did in public.

Old 03-29-2009, 08:42 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,033,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
How to pronounce "Pakistan" - Results for Pakistan

The "a" ending to some words is more of a church thing. I've been to many churches whose ministers used that form of speech. I don't necessarily like it, but it doesn't offend me.

President Bush's speech did bother me, mostly because he's from Connecticut, and his accent is half-a$$ cowboy. A total affectation. To affect an accent on an occasional basis, especially humorously, doesn't bother me - I do it myself (now you know why it doesn't bother me ).
Oh, thanks for showing us how to REALLY pronounce Pakistan.

Maybe when Barry talks about Paris he will say Pair-eeeeeeeeee. Right?

The man is a fake.

I have heard the reason why Bush speaks with a Texas accent. He was born in Ct and went to prep schools....with lots of lock jaw accents around. His family did live/vacation in Tx and NM. The short story was that he loved TX, made lots of friends there and purposefully started trying to talk like them. This was before he was Gov. He did it because he liked these people and wanted to be like them. I happen to think that is charming and shows humility.

That Obama (and pathetic Hillary that one time) talk "black" to massage voters is fake and anything but charming or showing humility.

Old 07-05-2014, 06:36 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,581,733 times
Brauwyn,

The link you posted with the guy doing the impersonation of Obama is hilarious!

To the OP, no Obama doesn't have an Ebonics accent but yes he does sound Black: like an educated Black person speaking who doesn't have southern roots. (Most African-Americans have a southern sounding accent and tone). If you have a problem with him sounding Black, you'll be alright. You survived hearing Bush speak so you can survive anything.

P.S - I actually like Dubya as a person but became embarrassed every time I saw him on TV because of the fact that he was about to embarrass himself when he opened his mouth.

Old 07-05-2014, 06:43 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,186,735 times
This is a joke, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies