Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 05:56 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,567,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by triton74 View Post
Well, just a reminder that he is the one that got on the phone for the last bailout to gather support for it. And the same tactic was applied---people were told that if it didn't pass, disaster would come, blah blah blah. Hell, noody knows where that money went....so how did the first bailout help the economy?And why is obama again instilling fear about passing this second stimulus plan?

“Here are the facts: For two weeks I was on the phone everyday with [Treasury] Secretary [Henry] Paulson and the congressional leaders making sure that the principles that have been ultimately adopted were incorporated in the bill,” Obama said.
Washington Wire - WSJ.com : McCain and Obama Indicate Support for Bailout Deal
Yes & McCain supported it as well. So I don't know what you're trying to say. If McCain got into office & did nothing about this, what would be said then? Would it be ok? Or would he be blasted for it? If he proposed this stimulus, what then? I really don't get it, damned if you do, damned if you don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2009, 05:59 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,610,974 times
I believe in the free market 100%. If we can tough it out the next year or so without Congress having to pass a "stimulus bill", our recovery will be quicker and our next period of economic growth will be longer and more extensive.

To hell with the stimulus. I am a saver and do not need government assistance.

Old 02-06-2009, 06:00 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
what like you are sayin george did not use fear to get the bank bailout?

Old 02-06-2009, 06:16 PM

114 posts, read 180,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Yes & McCain supported it as well. So I don't know what you're trying to say. If McCain got into office & did nothing about this, what would be said then? Would it be ok? Or would he be blasted for it? If he proposed this stimulus, what then? I really don't get it, damned if you do, damned if you don't.
100% guaranteed McCain would do the same thing. I'm not one of those silly people that think there is a difference between democrats and republicans. Both parties do whats best for the bankers, not what's best for the people.
A president that worked for the american people would get in there and say, 'Not only was the crisis not solved with the first bailout, but we as americans don't even know where the money went. Therefore, we are not going to do that again.' So actually, sensible logic would say, no more bailouts as they don't work----they don't work for the american people, but they do work for the bankers. And which side is your president on?

"It's something any bank would demand to know before handing out a loan: Where's the money going?But after receiving billions in aid from U.S. taxpayers, the nation's largest banks say they can't track exactly how they're spending the money or they simply refuse to discuss it.
"We've lent some of it. We've not lent some of it. We've not given any accounting of, 'Here's how we're doing it,'" said Thomas Kelly, a spokesman for JPMorgan Chase, which received $25 billion in emergency bailout money. "We have not disclosed that to the public. We're declining to."
Where'd the bailout money go? Shhhh, it's a secret: Financial News - Yahoo! Finance (http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/081222/meltdown_secrets.html - broken link)

Old 02-06-2009, 06:16 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by small arms View Post
I don't recall any stimulus money in the last recessions, why start now?
Real simple, in the last Recession the Fed could lower interest rates. How do you lower the Fed rate when it is near zero?

Old 02-06-2009, 07:09 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,159,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Especially considering this quote of his from his inaugural address:

"We have chosen hope over fear."

To now:

"A failure to act, and act now, will turn crisis into a catastrophe."
[Arlen Specter R-PA] said Friday night that action was "very necessary," and this bill, though not perfect, is better than inaction.

"I think no one could argue with the fact that the situation would be much worse without this bill," Specter said at a news conference.

Senators Reach Tentative Deal on $805B Economic Stimulus Bill - Presidential Politics | Political News - FOXNews.com (http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/02/06/senators-reach-tentative-deal-b-economic-stimulus/ - broken link)

Old 02-06-2009, 07:11 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,567,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
[Arlen Specter R-PA] said Friday night that action was "very necessary," and this bill, though not perfect, is better than inaction.

"I think no one could argue with the fact that the situation would be much worse without this bill," Specter said at a news conference.

Senators Reach Tentative Deal on $805B Economic Stimulus Bill - Presidential Politics | Political News - FOXNews.com (http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/02/06/senators-reach-tentative-deal-b-economic-stimulus/ - broken link)
Arlen Specter said that? Someone get the umbrellas because I think pigs just flew.

Old 02-06-2009, 09:20 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,873,039 times
From reading this thread it is obvious Obama uses the exact same fearmongering to get his way....

and the excuse given by his followers is Bush did it first.

Old 02-06-2009, 09:34 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,830,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
From reading this thread it is obvious Obama uses the exact same fearmongering to get his way....

and the excuse given by his followers is Bush did it first.
whos giving excuses? theres no excuses only facts, how is that fear? it seems that you feel you are being remind of fear mongering that u ignored only to loosely bring it up now because hannity and company says so.
now the crap the lasy admin used is fear mongering, the all of a sudden terrorist tapes being aired at specific times.

these people who saying obamas using fear are most likely those of who wont be affected or arent affected and using this for political gain.

Old 02-06-2009, 10:49 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,449,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plovedupont View Post
Very well put and I agree with that 100%

Maybe we should elect you to congress
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies