Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 07:43 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,640,468 times

Advertisements

I find it ironic that those clamouring most for the 'fairness doctrine' are the same people who advocates 'don't like it, don't watch it' when it comes to tv, movies and music.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 08:20 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,449,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Disagree - it's unfair, crybaby manipulation that's domed to abject failure in the real world even if by some remote chance it were to become law. Even though it is Alex Jones's website the OP links to, the article is right on IMO.
In other words, according to Stabenow, the American people are unable to formulate their own opinions and the government must do this for them. In order to facilitate this process, the Michigan senator pledges to “pass a standard” based on the revoked Fairness Doctrine.
If the right wing wants to lie and spew trash that's fine, let it. Is Debbie Stabenow also going to balance the number and the degree of "balance" among political blogs on the Innernets?

I think it's a compliment to the left that they dont need voices telling them what to think as badly as the right seems to.

Debbie Stabenow is pushing her husband's business interests IMO. The whole thing is shameful and stupid.
No it is because the left is so angry and hateful they cannot stand to listen to each other spew the venom!

Old 02-09-2009, 08:24 AM

3,564 posts, read 5,516,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post

I think it's a compliment to the left that they dont need voices telling them what to think as badly as the right seems to.

Debbie Stabenow is pushing her husband's business interests IMO. The whole thing is shameful and stupid.
That's one way to look at it. Another would be that the left is too dumb to follow radio. They have to have the bright/shiny pictures/graphics/videos to go along with the message.

Old 02-09-2009, 04:22 PM

20,341 posts, read 19,930,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
I find it ironic that those clamouring most for the 'fairness doctrine' are the same people who advocates 'don't like it, don't watch it' when it comes to tv, movies and music.
Funny how that works, isn't it. Plus, it's coming from the more tolerant and open-minded among us.

You know, progressives.

Old 02-09-2009, 05:16 PM

7,065 posts, read 3,106,308 times
This is off the original topic but I think there should be accountabilty for those programs and their hosts and their guests on television that try & convict people who are charged and sometimes not even charged yet with a crime. CNN, FOX and MSNBC all do it. There is no way anyone would have a fair trial after watching these shows. I think this is more of a problem than politcal talk radio.

Today trials are tried on television rather than our courtrooms.

Old 02-09-2009, 06:00 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,082,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truthseeker2012 View Post
Democrat senator Debbie Stabenow has told nationally syndicated talk host Bill Press she will push for talk radio “accountability hearings” in order to impose government-mandated “balance” in the radio marketplace. According to the Gladwin, Michigan, senator the airwaves are “dominated by one view” that “overwhelms people’s opinions — and, unfortunately, incorrectly,” and said that “right-wing conservative talk hosts” are “trying to make people angry and saying all kinds of things that aren’t true and so on,” Radio Ink reports on February 5.

Stabenow: Dems May Hold Talk Radio “Accountability” Hearings
Doubt it ever happens,but it would be sweet if it did as it would expose for all to see exactly how slimey rightard radio and FAUX news actually is.

Old 02-09-2009, 06:02 PM

24,411 posts, read 23,070,474 times
That might be okay, but they'll have to replace Maddows or Olbermann and put on a conservative commentator like Michael Savage or Lars Larsen on MSNBC for equal time and "fairness". I'm sure the MSNBC viewers will welcome opposing views instead of what they've been getting. LOL, it surely couldn't hurt their ratings.
I'll also look forward to having radio stations mixing up their formats. Instead of all urban hip hop they'll have to play some country and country stations will have to play some rap and R and B selections. Hard Rock stations will have to play easy listening adult contemporary.
And NPR will really enjoy being told to air opinion pieces by Limbaugh and Sean Hannity and other conservative journalists. The government is the only winner in this deal, they get to force their way into yet another aspect of our lives and add to the bureaucracy.

Old 02-09-2009, 08:51 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,848,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
I admit that I don't listen to talk radio -- the most is about 10 minutes in the car as I take the kids to school, and that would be Laura Ingraham.

My question to you is.....when does she lie? Or any of them for that matter? What lies are they telling that the idiot non democratic voters believe?
I haven't heard her in years so its impossible for me to quote her. If she said Acorn is getting money from the stimulus bill, then she lied. The only truth is that there is money appropriated that Acorn has the right to bid on. You can see how many are lying and how somehow there needs to be an ethical standard or a disclaimer. I challenge you to find Acorn on the on the bill.

Old 02-09-2009, 08:58 PM

4,465 posts, read 8,001,340 times
But there's another fatal flaw in our "whomever has the most bucks gets to exclusivly own the airwaves" system which our "media" has descended to:

They're all losing $, even Murdoch's News Corp operation, owner of Fixed Noise.

Not only that, there are audience problems: Americans are increasingly turning to the internet for info. Some of it is to the corporate propagandists online ops, like CNN, etc. But an increasing number go to other sites for real news- including international ones.

But the ultimate problem is that people like to hear the truth, and when WMDs turn out to be lies, and 4,000l-plus die, or when the hype of good times forever ends in depression, people know they are being fed BS.

Quick fact: No coup/dictatorship has been sucessful anywhere that cellphones are commonplace in the population. And that applies to our corporate dictatorship, also.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:06 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,319,404 times
The airwaves are owned by the public. That's just a fact. This public property should be used for the benefit of everyone especially since there is a limited quantity of stations available plus TV and radio are so vitally important to entire communities. We must make sure everyone has fair access to this public resource instead of the current system of who ever has the most money gets to dominate it exclusively for themselves. Screw that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies