Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 09:27 AM

1,048 posts, read 2,388,431 times

Advertisements

You know, I watched Obama’s speech last night, and I have a few comments.

I didn’t much care for his tone at all. It reminded me of a frustrated kindergarten teacher trying to get her class to do something it obviously didn’t want to do. It seems he’s getting frustrated that people aren’t blindly carrying out his orders. That’s bad in a couple of ways.

It doesn’t bode well for his disposition for the next four years, because people ARE going to disagree with him. It also makes him look like he EXPECTS people to do what he says. I hate to break it to him, but we all have opinions and thoughts on how things need to be done, and they ain’t all gonna mesh with his opinions and ideas.

He also alienated a large part of the populace by saying he just can’t negotiate with people who want to do nothing. I think they should do nothing. Explain to me why we should do something, convince me. He has yet to do this, nobody has really, and it is clear from last night he isn’t willing to try.

At least four times, he mentioned ‘the failed policies of the last eight years.’ The election’s over. Putting blame on the past makes you look bad. Blaming the past four times (at least) in one speech makes you look very bad.

I also noticed that he mentioned the same number of times that he inherited a deficit of a trillion dollars. On this he is correct. However, he wants to double it within his first month in office. He didn’t point THAT out.

Who was that moron reporter that asked about baseball? Obama should have cut him off with a ‘we’re here to talk about important things’ type of rebuff. I think that was a missed opportunity.

Was it me, or did he slip and said Iran had a nuke? I thought I heard it. I either misheard, he misspoke, or he let something slip.

]Really, I think he’s trying, but I think he’s in way over his head. I don’t think he gets the issues completely, doesn’t know what to do about it, and can’t take disagreement.

I hope he improves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 09:29 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
When you cut and paste someone else's writing, it's customary to add a comment of your own, along with a link to the source.

Old 02-10-2009, 09:30 AM

1,048 posts, read 2,388,431 times
Its mine. i cut and pasted from another forum I posted it on. I've corrected the font size tags.

Old 02-10-2009, 09:43 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
OK!

Old 02-10-2009, 09:46 AM

3,564 posts, read 5,516,210 times
You're right. I would love to see him or Gibbs speak just one time without referring to "we inherited" or "failed policies of the last 8 years" or whatever.

He is supposed to be change right? He is supposed to have the great ideas right? All he is doing is setting up excuses for whn he fails (and it makes people think that he expects to fail)

Also...stop the whining when someone disagrees with him. A lot of us will not just blindly do/believe whatever non-sense he says.

Old 02-10-2009, 09:52 AM

39,874 posts, read 26,514,597 times
What change? He wants to continue the same deficit spending and growth of government we've seen so much of. The only change is the rate of increase I guess.

Real change would be cutting spending and balancing the budget, and sending a message to states, businesses and individuals to live within their means. Real change would mean not rewarding irresponsible behavior, and not punish those that do live within their means. Real change would involve looking at businesses and individuals that are doing well even in troubled times and encouraging others to emulate their actions.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:00 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,449,229 times
There is no change obama does not have the experience to get the job done! I am so glad he was elected to run our country

Old 02-10-2009, 10:10 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,863,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Worley View Post
You know, I watched Obama’s speech last night, and I have a few comments.

I didn’t much care for his tone at all. It reminded me of a frustrated kindergarten teacher trying to get her class to do something it obviously didn’t want to do. It seems he’s getting frustrated that people aren’t blindly carrying out his orders. That’s bad in a couple of ways.

It doesn’t bode well for his disposition for the next four years, because people ARE going to disagree with him. It also makes him look like he EXPECTS people to do what he says. I hate to break it to him, but we all have opinions and thoughts on how things need to be done, and they ain’t all gonna mesh with his opinions and ideas.

He also alienated a large part of the populace by saying he just can’t negotiate with people who want to do nothing. I think they should do nothing. Explain to me why we should do something, convince me. He has yet to do this, nobody has really, and it is clear from last night he isn’t willing to try.

At least four times, he mentioned ‘the failed policies of the last eight years.’ The election’s over. Putting blame on the past makes you look bad. Blaming the past four times (at least) in one speech makes you look very bad.

I also noticed that he mentioned the same number of times that he inherited a deficit of a trillion dollars. On this he is correct. However, he wants to double it within his first month in office. He didn’t point THAT out.

Who was that moron reporter that asked about baseball? Obama should have cut him off with a ‘we’re here to talk about important things’ type of rebuff. I think that was a missed opportunity.

Was it me, or did he slip and said Iran had a nuke? I thought I heard it. I either misheard, he misspoke, or he let something slip.

]Really, I think he’s trying, but I think he’s in way over his head. I don’t think he gets the issues completely, doesn’t know what to do about it, and can’t take disagreement.

I hope he improves.
Rep to you.

I think his attitude is the big turn off. He received so much praise while on the campaign trail and could do no wrong during the campaign. I think he still has that expectation. He expects to be able to spout off a few words, give a speech, etc and have everyoe fall in line behind him in agreement.
He needs to learn that isn't how the US works. Now that he is president, it is HIS JOB to GET people to agree. If he really has any type of substance behind the rhetoric, this shouldn't be top difficult of a task.

Many are starting to question if he is really up to the job.

He simply isn't acting presidential and doesn't seem to be making many (if any) smart decisions.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:11 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,863,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
What change? He wants to continue the same deficit spending and growth of government we've seen so much of. The only change is the rate of increase I guess.

Real change would be cutting spending and balancing the budget, and sending a message to states, businesses and individuals to live within their means. Real change would mean not rewarding irresponsible behavior, and not punish those that do live within their means. Real change would involve looking at businesses and individuals that are doing well even in troubled times and encouraging others to emulate their actions.
Well said.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:18 AM

8,631 posts, read 9,139,445 times
I was flipping back and forth to his speech. Did anyone notice the elderly lady who ask the question
"What middle eastern country posses nuclear weapons" and the President went into the subject of Pakistan. Pakistan does possess nukes but I've got a feeling this is not what the lady wanted to hear because after he finished his dialog she blurted out that he did not answer her question and he immediately moved on. I think she wanted him to say Israel, which If I'm not mistaking, no U.S. President has ever acknowledged. My hunch could be wrong but if true she would have been the first journalist to have extracted this info from a sitting President on public TV. Not that it really matters, just a thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies