Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2009, 08:25 PM

50,405 posts, read 47,145,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
That's a fine idea. But if the market is out of control to the point where people who have played by the rules cannot afford to live a decent life, then we have a problem. And since that's the way it is now, we have a problem.

I have a college degree. In fact, I have three of them. As does my husband. The nature of our work is such that we cannot choose where we live, but must live where the work takes us. We paid almost $400,000 for a 1200 sqft house, built in 1937, on about .15 of an acre. The kitchen hasn't been remodeled in 30 years, and neither has the bathroom. It needs a new roof, new siding (I swore I would NEVER buy a house with vinyl siding, but. . . ), new retaining wall (the original one is groaning under all that snow we've been having), new garage door, new ceilings in the basement and the living room. We probably need a new sewer line, too, but are hoping against hope that the original one will hold out for a few more years. We give a percentage of our income to others. We try not to be too selfish.

Our next-door neighbors are professionals, as well. Their house is similar to ours--same size--but a bit more updated in the kitchen and baths and basement. They paid nearly $500,000 for it three years ago. It needs a new paint job, but they can't afford it.

This is the reality of the so-called "middle class" in many parts of the country. Compared to the way most of the rest of the world lives, a dream life--to be sure--but in terms of the specifically "American" dream, hardly a life of "entitlement."

No, it ain't Communist China, but the "free market" that decides my pay is a broken market. Not that that isn't obvious these days, but. . . .
I'm sorry to hear that, anyone struggling I feel for. Have you considered changing careers? If you can obtain those degrees you should be able too. Good luck whichever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 08:28 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,314,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
That's a fine idea. But if the market is out of control to the point where people who have played by the rules cannot afford to live a decent life, then we have a problem. And since that's the way it is now, we have a problem.

I have a college degree. In fact, I have three of them. As does my husband. The nature of our work is such that we cannot choose where we live, but must live where the work takes us. We paid almost $400,000 for a 1200 sqft house, built in 1937, on about .15 of an acre. The kitchen hasn't been remodeled in 30 years, and neither has the bathroom. It needs a new roof, new siding (I swore I would NEVER buy a house with vinyl siding, but. . . ), new retaining wall (the original one is groaning under all that snow we've been having), new garage door, new ceilings in the basement and the living room. We probably need a new sewer line, too, but are hoping against hope that the original one will hold out for a few more years. We give a percentage of our income to others. We try not to be too selfish.

Our next-door neighbors are professionals, as well. Their house is similar to ours--same size--but a bit more updated in the kitchen and baths and basement. They paid nearly $500,000 for it three years ago. It needs a new paint job, but they can't afford it.

This is the reality of the so-called "middle class" in many parts of the country. Compared to the way most of the rest of the world lives, a dream life--to be sure--but in terms of the specifically "American" dream, hardly a life of "entitlement."

No, it ain't Communist China, but the "free market" that decides my pay is a broken market. Not that that isn't obvious these days, but. . . .
Your tale of woe reminds that even smart people do stupid things. You made a choice. The decision was yours. You did not have to buy. Why is this anybody elses fault or responsibility?

Old 02-12-2009, 08:33 PM

10,239 posts, read 15,952,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubbltunman View Post
I belong to The International Brotherhood of Teamsters, I would not buy a Qt. of Mobil One full synthetic motor oil at Walmart even if it saved me $10 for 4 cases. That goes for Food Lion also. I will not give a red copper penny to any greedy, slave employment operation, or corrupt "increase the trade deficit" Corporation. Get back to "Made with pride in the U.S.A.", and "Buy with pride in the U.S.A"

After the economy continues to tank and all of you in the financial fields who will lose their jobs when their is no longer a "financial sector" in this country will wish you had a $15-50 an hour union job down the street to pay your bills, but you can always spend your unemployment check at walmart or better yet, satisfy your obligation to unemployment benefits and apply and work for walmart for the same as your unemployment check.

Shame on any and all who contributed to the collapse of the United States,,,

"America Works Best When We Say Union Yes"
Here in Baltimore there were never really local mom and pop places to begin with, only other chains. The destruction of small businesses had been done years ago. I can make one trip to Wal-Mart and buy everything I possibly need, save money on the prices and on gas. Or I can go to CVS, Radio Shack, Best Buy, Bed Bath and Beyond, Safeway, JC Penney....and buy products that are also made in China.

Old 02-12-2009, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Wal-mart is communist.... enough said.
They'll start making people wear red shirts in the US pretty soon.
Countless companies are trying to expand to China because of China's rising number of middle class consumers and increasingly American lifestyle. Why single out Wal-Mart and not McDonald's, KFC, Chevy, or anyone else? Also many senior citizens get prescription drugs at Wal-Mart that they would pay much more for at other chains.

Old 02-12-2009, 08:39 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,287,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMexicanRepublican View Post
Your tale of woe reminds that even smart people do stupid things. You made a choice. The decision was yours. You did not have to buy. Why is this anybody elses fault or responsibility?
I did not say it was anybody else's fault or responsibility. In fact, I'm fine with my life, as are my neighbors. You missed the point of my post: I wasn't complaining about my life. I was giving an example--through certain facts about my life--of how expensive it is to live in many parts of the country now. The house I live in is a typical house for middle-class people in this part of the country.

Yes, I made a choice to teach. Somebody has to teach, don't they? Apparently, people want good teachers, but they don't want teachers' wages to afford them a comfortable life. Everybody wants good teachers for their children and everybody wants their garbage picked up--and would be screaming bloody murder if it weren't--but god forbid we should want a good wage--not just an okay wage-- for our services.

Yes, I had to buy. Before it got so expensive that I would never be able to buy.

Old 02-12-2009, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You think that policy is unique to Wal Mart? My friend's son worked for Best Buy, they did the same thing, right up to the 39 hours.
CVS actually goes over 40 hours but still keeps people classified as part-time. Dont' know if its legal but its done.

Old 02-12-2009, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Dealing w/the public is the WORST job in the world. I used to work retail & I used to work at a hotel, it was not fun to say the least. But hey, if someone is good at it & can make a living & not get drained, then more power to them. Personally, I don't think I could do that ever again. Yet, one of my dreams is to open a bar
I work in a pharmacy part time and am in pharmacy school. While I dont want to do retail pharmacy after graduation, it really depends on the community the store is in and its demographics. I used to work in a rich, snobby liberal elite area and people there were plain nasty. Now I work in a laid-back, down to Earth blue coller suburb of Baltimore where people chat with you and call you "sir" "hon" and "sweetie".

Old 02-12-2009, 09:24 PM

542 posts, read 1,450,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Lots of great pro-union posts in here!!! But this one kinda nails it.

What's disturbing is how these mokes who slam unions are pretty happy to use the benefits unions have helped EVERYONE to get!!!

Total ignorance of the history of their own country can be the only explanation(leaving out stupidity because that would be rude).

When union wages go up non-union wages start to rise....when unions are attacked (like in the Reagan years), wages go down....and keep going down.

Funny story: where I work now is not union....on break a very anti-union repub was whining about something the company did and declared , "WE ought to say something...they'll never listen if just one person complains...maybe get a GROUP of people together so they'll listen to us, "

I said, " You mean, like a UNION?"

Silence followed.....

if i could give you 200 rep points for this quote i would.

Old 02-12-2009, 11:01 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,886,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
OP - Wal-mart is not the Demon we unionized leftists want you to believe. It is Far, far worse and a major reason for the demise of small store small town America. This company has sucked the wealth out of Main Street and profit out on American manufacturing. I would say this corporation has been working for the Chinese Government to subvert and weaken the United States. I think Wal-mart, along with all the other monopolistic and destructive national chains, should be broken up and each store operated as individual entities. Only then will a real market be established in the retail sector.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
See below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You know, I had an epiphany about this issue one day. I was talking to a friend who was saying the usual, that Wal Mart drove out the other downtown retailers, etc. I said that in the case of the Wal Mart in my area, there really was nothing left of downtown before Wal Mart ever moved in. It all of a sudden occurred to me that such was probably the case in many small towns.
Not to mention, Sears, Roebuck was accused of doing the same thing.
As far as the Chinese issue, throw out the Nikes and all your other shoes and most of your clothes.

Old 02-13-2009, 05:33 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,837,665 times
I have always done my best, except for automobiles in the 70's, to buy American. As these products have become less available they have also become more expensive. At this point I cannot find a source of American made clothing so I am forced to buy from across the western, or southern, ocean. I do it because there is no alternative.

In any case I try to buy cloths from LL Beans outlet stores, shoes from the New Balance seconds shop in Lawrence, MA and used American built station wagons anywhere I can find them. I am particularly fond of mid 90's Buicks. I buy most of my tools from Sears or, increasingly, Lowes. Good stuff at reasonable prices.

I am satisfied with buying "less than the best" because "good enough is good enough" and I am basically a frugal person. The money saved is spent on good coffee from Vermont coffee Roasters and presents for my lady from Vermont Teddy Bear Co. Now there are high quality goods.

I have never agreed shopped at Wal-mart although I did peruse a store to see what was going on. I would never go near any of the produce or the deli ever! My principal problem with Wal-mart is their self serving domination of a particular market. This gives them monopoly power as buyers of both merchandise and labor. I would like to see the federal courts break up Wal-mart (and most other chains) into, at most state wide associations or individual stores and for the federal labor Department essentially force the unionization of the entire retail industry.

More later
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies