Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 11:30 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I think we are looking at a very short term "Dead Elephant" bounce created by the initial bailout. This stimulus will start on on the path to long term recovery and put in place the restrictions neeeded to avoid a future speculative boom/bust. At least I hope so.
Where in the stimulus package are these restrictions ?

The stimulus is nothing more than growing government and filling bankers pockets. The average a US citizen will get is $13/week decreasing to $8/week next year.

Read the bill..smell the pork !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 02:26 PM

1,843 posts, read 2,370,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
I agree - the recession's over, the Depression has begun. What area of the economy is undeniably back on track, in any world market?

There's a thread on here with a chart that shows that the 2008-09 unemployment rate is continuing on after the point at which according to other recession charts it should have ticked upward.

Lol Sanrene, your crazy-liberal New York Times link is by "— Bruce Bartlett, author of Impostor: How George W. Bush Bankrupted America and Betrayed the Reagan Legacy.

There's always two sides to the story. For instance I've noticed that people who don't believe in global warming, evolution or God often believe in Creationism, ghosts and space aliens. So it all kind of evens out in the end. If you want to visit the other end of the paranoid continuum you can find some equally unmeritorious brainchildren of the Damned. For example, if you begin with the idea that nothing widens the gap between the haves and the have-nots better than hard economic times its only the smallest leap in logic for the reptilian brain to conclude that rich people cause depressions so they can get richer. Being at least as moneygrubbing as the Creationist Freesoilers, an enterprising Maoist can make a buttload of money hawking their own improbable propositions to whatever rubes who will listen.

The Volokh Conspiracy - Naomi Klein's "Economic Disaster":

Old 02-12-2009, 02:28 PM

1,843 posts, read 2,370,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Where in the stimulus package are these restrictions ?

The stimulus is nothing more than growing government and filling bankers pockets. The average a US citizen will get is $13/week decreasing to $8/week next year.

Read the bill..smell the pork !

I prefer to think of it as spending a billion dollars a day for the next 3,000 years.

Old 02-12-2009, 03:00 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
yet.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/23/op...lett.html?_r=1

I do believe congress and obama know this - the fear-mongering is just an excuse to implement their far-left socialization of America.
I do believe you don't know what you are talking about. I'll believe it is over when people start getting jobs instead of losing them.

Old 02-12-2009, 03:16 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,474,295 times
I'll believe it's over when my engineering buddies stop getting axed and I can actually get job interviews because there are less hiring freezes in big companies.

Old 02-12-2009, 03:22 PM

1,506 posts, read 4,280,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
Markets don't respond to one person's gut feeling. They, rather unscientifically, rely on many many people's gut feelings.
Good call. But I am not trying to influence the market.

Old 02-12-2009, 04:09 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,330,678 times
Actually in this particular case I'm actually HOPING that Sanrene is right (at least regarding the downturn being over) - and in truth there ARE a few encouraging signs - specifically the fact that first-time jobless claims dipped a bit last month and that foreclosures also fell. Now admittedly these are pretty meager signs, but I'm HOPING that they are the beginning of a trend.

I'm not PREDICTING such, just HOPING.

It's also generally true that recessions pretty much are always WELL underway before they are officially announced (as this one was - remember how the government only announced we were in a recession late last year but admitted it started nearly a year earlier) and that often the recovery has already started before the recession itself is announced. That's because the gathering and analysis of the data necessarily lags behind the actual events so we are by definition ALWAYS looking in the rear-view mirror.

In any event, we will see.

Ken

Old 02-12-2009, 04:10 PM

4,574 posts, read 7,501,315 times
This is probably just the beginning.

Old 02-12-2009, 04:12 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
The recession is not over and the phrasing ought to be has the recovery already begun. Unemployment is a lagging indicator and will follow leading and concurrent indicators. There are some rays of light and the Recovery Act will help to cushion the lagging parts of any recovery and hopefully speed the recovery up if one is in the making.

Old 02-12-2009, 04:13 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
It is hilarious to read Republicans talking about fear tactics. Just finished watching W.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies