Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 12:58 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,827,266 times

Advertisements

what do you/they mean? where does it go back to the 60's? the old racist democrat party of the south?

Last edited by city414; 02-12-2009 at 01:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 01:01 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,395,538 times
they lost big time. right wing rhetoric does not work anymore. the extremists have harmed the party. that is why i am no longer GOP.

Old 02-12-2009, 01:02 PM

9,059 posts, read 12,968,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city414 View Post
what do you mean? where does it go back to the 60's? the old racist democrat party of the south?
To me, conservative roots = getting out of the Middle East, Germany, Japan (WW2 was over 70 years ago) and minding our own business, cutting spending, turning off magnets such as the welfare state to stop attracting illegal immigrants from coming here and burdening the taxpayer, allowing people to arm themselves reducing police force requirements, legalizing most drugs, eliminating the IRS or severely curtailing their hegemony on the citizens of this country and on and on...

Racism is not a conservative value.

Old 02-12-2009, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
To me, conservative roots = getting out of the Middle East, Germany, Japan (WW2 was over 70 years ago) and minding our own business, cutting spending, turning off magnets such as the welfare state to stop attracting illegal immigrants from coming here and burdening the taxpayer, allowing people to arm themselves reducing police force requirements, legalizing most drugs, eliminating the IRS or severely curtailing their hegemony on the citizens of this country and on and on...

Racism is not a conservative value.
well ron paul said te same thing about the IRS but how many rpeublicans listens to him?
me personally i dont think illegals should get welfare, thats crazy i can see if they are in position/pending of being legal citizens. but to let them milk the system is plain wrong esp when legal citizens are in need

allowing people to arm themselves only reminds me of the old south and we know what took place, when you had everyone and their guns, killing certain individuals and gotten away with it just cause.

Old 02-12-2009, 01:31 PM

Quote:
. For years Ive been getting mail urging me to vote Republican so as to fight against the "liberal Democrats." The people that send this stuff out must think we are all stupid enough to think that all Republicans are conservative and all Democrats are liberal. What about fighting against liberal Republicans that are really no different than the liberal Democrats? Ahhh, we aren't supposed to ask that question are we?
i know this is kind of anti conservative but it has some points and is a good read.
The Republican Party--There are NO conservative roots there by Al Benson, Jr.

Old 02-12-2009, 01:38 PM

1,843 posts, read 2,369,949 times
Quote:
what do you/they mean? where does it go back to the 60's? the old racist democrat party of the south?

Its a slogan, like "Damn the torpedoes", or "Tippecanoe and Tyler too!" I think if most of these boobs we have today met up with a real Conservative they'd be denouncing him/her as a bleeding heart before you could say Leon Trotsky.

Old 02-12-2009, 01:41 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,866,625 times
I think that the "return to conservative values" doesn't mean a change in the values the party says it supports, but rather that they have drifted in their actions from those values, and they need to get back to them. Values that include fiscal conservatism (which they have paid lip service to, but in reality when they have controlled the legislature they have voted in big budgets), or less government interference (which they've barely bothered to pay attention to as they've passed legislation that allows government a great deal more intrusion into the average citizen's life), and social conservatism (which they've been true to in some ways, but in others the party has been quite divided--illegal immigration as an example). Returning to their values in the sense they need to walk the walk, not just talk the talk.

Old 02-12-2009, 01:51 PM

26,210 posts, read 49,022,743 times
Quote:
The southern DEMs of the 1940's and 1950's were the party of segregation and Jim Crow and blocking the school house door until Eisenhower (Ike) sent in Federal troops to integrate the schools, after Brown v. Board of Education.

Ike was the father of the interstate system (infrastructure spending was considered "good" then, as a boost for national defense). Ike was against the military industrial complex and warned JFK to avoid ground wars in Asia. Ike was more than a tad progressive, calling for federal spending not only for the highway system, but also for the "space race" and for increased teaching of math and science.

All of these GOP "values" are summed up nicely in the form of the late AZ senator, Barry Goldwater, who is considered the father of the "modern" conservative movement. Goldwater was a "classic" conservative, meaning he was a strong fiscal conservative, and at that time it meant that one did NOT bring children into this world if one could not afford them. He was PROUD that his wife worked for Planned Parenthood (in those pre-abortion days) as family planning, with an eye on affordability and paying the way for your own kids, was a KEY value and a point of pride. In contrast, the DEMs (urban Irish Catholics being a prime DEM group) were the party of poor people with more kids than they could really afford).

So, along comes Democrat JFK and the civil rights movements and the white rascist DEMs in the south are livid. Southern Democrat Strom Thurmon switched from DEM to GOP, as did Jesse Helms and millions of southern white voters left the DEMs for the GOP. Then, around 1968, Richard Nixon and his pals cranked up the "Southern Strategy" to suck up the votes of ticked off white southerners, and since then the south has been a stronghold of white GOP "conservative" voters ever since; just look at the most recent election. I'm not sure how racism became synonymous as some sort of a conservative value, but it points out the danger in slapping a simplistic label onto any group of people.

So, in the space of 40 years, there has been a total reversal of roles and value between the GOP and the DEMs. The GOP, once the slave-freeing party of Lincoln and the Fair Deal party of Teddy Roosevelt is now the opposite of today's largely white GOP and its millions of racist followers. Today's Democratic party is much akin to the party of Lincoln and TR, both of whom are spinning in their grave at what today's GOP has become.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
they lost big time. right wing rhetoric does not work anymore. the extremists have harmed the party. that is why i am no longer GOP.
Ditto. Things are BACKWARDS of what they were when I was a kid with an "I Like Ike" button. I voted many times for GOP types, sent them money too, but starting with the Newt Gringrich crowd things went downhill, and then the Bush crowd totally drove me over the edge and into Democrat-land.

Contrast the Eisenhower and Goldwater GOP conservative to what we have today calling themselves conservatives. The evango-fascist wingnut crowd on the far right extreme amount to the lunatics who took over the asylum, and in the process they have the GOP in a death spiral from which is will be hard to recover. If it does, it will take the GOP many years, unless the DEMs screw up worse than Bush, not an easy feat.

Old 02-12-2009, 01:56 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,881,675 times
Quote:
No,no. Nothing to do with racism of course, you know the current GOP party chairman is a man of color.

I see it as leaving the policies of Bush, who was not really a conservative, particularly in terms of spending and increasing entitlements, behind. I interpret it as meaning financial conservation, and maybe some social conservative aspects but (I would hope) not any ultra-right religious policies.

They've always nominated centralist candidates before - Bush, McCain. This time it didn't work as the only thing they did was irratate the conservative core voters, and also they could not develop any distinguishing differences between the democrat winning candidate so I expect they will nominate a REAL conservative for once. The problem with McCain, and this is going to raise some disagreements, is he was too much like Obama and any other democrat.

Old 02-12-2009, 02:47 PM

1,843 posts, read 2,369,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
The southern DEMs of the 1940's and 1950's were the party of segregation and Jim Crow and blocking the school house door until Eisenhower (Ike) sent in Federal troops to integrate the schools, after Brown v. Board of Education.

Ike was the father of the interstate system (infrastructure spending was considered "good" then, as a boost for national defense). Ike was against the military industrial complex and warned JFK to avoid ground wars in Asia. Ike was more than a tad progressive, calling for federal spending not only for the highway system, but also for the "space race" and for increased teaching of math and science.

All of these GOP "values" are summed up nicely in the form of the late AZ senator, Barry Goldwater, who is considered the father of the "modern" conservative movement. Goldwater was a "classic" conservative, meaning he was a strong fiscal conservative, and at that time it meant that one did NOT bring children into this world if one could not afford them. He was PROUD that his wife worked for Planned Parenthood (in those pre-abortion days) as family planning, with an eye on affordability and paying the way for your own kids, was a KEY value and a point of pride. In contrast, the DEMs (urban Irish Catholics being a prime DEM group) were the party of poor people with more kids than they could really afford).

So, along comes Democrat JFK and the civil rights movements and the white rascist DEMs in the south are livid. Southern Democrat Strom Thurmon switched from DEM to GOP, as did Jesse Helms and millions of southern white voters left the DEMs for the GOP. Then, around 1968, Richard Nixon and his pals cranked up the "Southern Strategy" to suck up the votes of ticked off white southerners, and since then the south has been a stronghold of white GOP "conservative" voters ever since; just look at the most recent election. I'm not sure how racism became synonymous as some sort of a conservative value, but it points out the danger in slapping a simplistic label onto any group of people.

So, in the space of 40 years, there has been a total reversal of roles and value between the GOP and the DEMs. The GOP, once the slave-freeing party of Lincoln and the Fair Deal party of Teddy Roosevelt is now the opposite of today's largely white GOP and its millions of racist followers. Today's Democratic party is much akin to the party of Lincoln and TR, both of whom are spinning in their grave at what today's GOP has become.

Ditto. Things are BACKWARDS of what they were when I was a kid with an "I Like Ike" button. I voted many times for GOP types, sent them money too, but starting with the Newt Gringrich crowd things went downhill, and then the Bush crowd totally drove me over the edge and into Democrat-land.

Contrast the Eisenhower and Goldwater GOP conservative to what we have today calling themselves conservatives. The evango-fascist wingnut crowd on the far right extreme amount to the lunatics who took over the asylum, and in the process they have the GOP in a death spiral from which is will be hard to recover. If it does, it will take the GOP many years, unless the DEMs screw up worse than Bush, not an easy feat.
Amen brother! Amen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies