Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 08:28 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,754,781 times

Advertisements

This morning it was reported that the same doctor who is responsible for the 8 babies, has implanted 7 in another woman who is now pregnant with 4 babies and has NO HEALTH CARE INS.

Later it was said that they couldn't confirm if it was really the same doctor but it was also in the same area....how many more babies do we have to pay for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2009, 08:49 AM

13,212 posts, read 21,832,803 times
I have an idea. They should pass a law that says fertility clinics are financially responsible for the babies they produce ahead of welfare if the parent(s) can't pay. That would force the clinics to institute a policy of making sure that the parents have the funds to raise the kids. Mortgage companies scrutinize your finances today before they'll lend you the money for a home. There's no reason fertility clinics couldn't scrutinize the finances of their customers as well. An honest mistake is fine. But knowingly impregnating women with no financial means of support should be considered a crime and treated as such. Causing the doctors to pay up ahead of welfare would put an end to this nonsense pronto. After all, the doctor is just as responsible, or even more responsible for the pregnancy as are the other parties involved.

Old 02-13-2009, 11:44 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
I have an idea. They should pass a law that says fertility clinics are financially responsible for the babies they produce ahead of welfare if the parent(s) can't pay. That would force the clinics to institute a policy of making sure that the parents have the funds to raise the kids. Mortgage companies scrutinize your finances today before they'll lend you the money for a home. There's no reason fertility clinics couldn't scrutinize the finances of their customers as well. An honest mistake is fine. But knowingly impregnating women with no financial means of support should be considered a crime and treated as such. Causing the doctors to pay up ahead of welfare would put an end to this nonsense pronto. After all, the doctor is just as responsible, or even more responsible for the pregnancy as are the other parties involved.
I concur.

Old 02-13-2009, 11:46 AM

2,915 posts, read 3,517,926 times
It seems that all the face time that the media is giving that girl with the octuplets is bringing out more wackos that should not be having kids just because they want attention and to get paid

Old 02-13-2009, 11:49 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,440,752 times
I'm staggered at situations like this. I take more time to stop and think about how many pets we have and can we take care of them, have room for them etc. then these people do about children.

I can't imagine letting a doctor implant me with that many embryos. I would not allow a reduction so therefore I would not allow a doctor to implant me with more babies then I would want to give birth to and raise.

Old 02-13-2009, 11:52 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,665,293 times
I don't know.

You could have someone who goes through IVF made ineligible for public assistance. I mean... if you can afford IVF, you should be able to afford the kids, right?

But then that would also publish the kids, and it's not their fault.

Hit the doctor with violations, hit him in his pocket where it hurts the most, and maybe he'll become more responsible.

Old 02-13-2009, 11:57 AM

1,599 posts, read 2,948,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
This is an excellent idea. But! IVF often results in multiple births. While a person may be able to show the ability to afford a single child, they may not have the funds for triplets, quadruplets, etc....So what then?

Old 02-13-2009, 12:59 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,754,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songgirl View Post
This is an excellent idea. But! IVF often results in multiple births. While a person may be able to show the ability to afford a single child, they may not have the funds for triplets, quadruplets, etc....So what then?
If the doctor places 7 embryo's back you can almost be certain more than 1 baby will come...in this case 4 babies are on their way and they can't afford or don't pay for health care...the mom is 21 weeks pregnant so it was done before the 8 babies were born, so maybe more to come.....

These doctors are insane and if we would say that parents should be able to finance so many kids...what when the parents will divorce (and daddy can't pay for all the kids due to having to pay for 2 households...)...or something else happens and they can't afford it anymore...for sure the government has to send them a check for welfare, foot stamps, etc...

How can these people even pay for the fertility costs and many of them had plastic surgery...what about the Angelina Jolie wannabee ...have you seen her tummy...well I guess she will soon claiming she needs plastic surgery since it is a medical issue and we all can pay for her since she doesn't have health care ins....so this woman is too smart.

Old 02-13-2009, 01:18 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,832,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songgirl View Post
Bingo! That's exactly the point. In this scenario, the doctor would be on the hook to make up the difference. And therefore, they would never implant more embryos than the number of children the parent can afford to raise. And yes, that would reduce the odds of IVF producing children for poorer parents. Oh well.

Old 02-13-2009, 01:19 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
I believe the standard of care (which is not mandatory to follow) is that if a pt/couple will not agree to selective reduction, no more than two embryos should be implanted. If they will agree to the reduction, more may be implanted, but they should be reduced to two. I know of several sets of triplets where one infant didn't make it after birth, and some of the survivors have severe disabilities. However, as my DD said, you may agree to the reduction in theory, but when the time comes, . . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies