Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 07:01 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,842,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
I'm a man and I think intelligence is the most attractive feature of a woman.

If not raw intelligence, at least intellectual curiosity about the world.
I'm a man and I think intelligence is not the most attractive feature on a woman.
Attractiveness is the most attractive feature on a woman.

I have met many many bright women who didn't interest me one bit.

Conversely, I have met many many beautiful or pretty ditzes who most certainly interested me. Albeit up to a certain point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2009, 07:02 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,842,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Lol, what else is there to say about her? That's polite, I mean.
Aren't you going to admit you were wrong?

Old 02-25-2009, 07:04 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,001,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Anything compared to what Robo Heart Vampire Cheney stole via Helliburton and the illegal occupation of Iraq is a spit in the bucket.
So it's ok to point to other supposed bad acts to justify bad acts right? Using the above justification I can go rob a bank because they made bad decisions and my stock went to almost worthless...
Grow up.

Old 02-25-2009, 07:04 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,145,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
Seriously, what else could he say? He was nice and said the most obvious, friendly thing that came to mind.

He wasn't "smitten" as you claimed.

Old 02-25-2009, 07:09 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,702,787 times
Quote:
I'm a man and I think intelligence is not the most attractive feature on a woman.
Attractiveness is the most attractive feature on a woman.

I have met many many bright women who didn't interest me one bit.

Conversely, I have met many many beautiful or pretty ditzes who most certainly interested me. Albeit up to a certain point.
Well then you can lust after Pam Anderson, Paris Hilton, Jessica Simpson, or Sarah Palin and I'll keep focused on those who bring the complete package, such as Natalie Portman and Tina Fey.

(not that I'm celebrity obsessed, but you probably don't know my friends)

Old 02-25-2009, 07:13 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,001,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
You all who keep bringing up Obama's spending do realize that the strategy is to spend - that's what stimulus is. Bush did it. McCain supported it. Now Obama's doing it - only strategically and with oversight. That is wise change.
Yeppers, that's wise alright How many millions for a mouse in a marsh in CA? How 'bout that bullet train from CA to LV which was hand written in at the last moment?
Yep, that's change you can believe in!
How many earmarks in the latest round of crap spending? 9000? How 'bout thinking past Obama's sound bite (that you quoted quite well btw) and maybe you'll realize all this spending has a PRICE that will have to be paid by someone and that someone is US.
I don't disagree that something had to be done but the stimulus was full of non-stimulating plain partisan spending and so is this next round.

As for Palin saying stupid things (which she clearly did), have y'all ever listened to Biden the king of gaffs? So, what, since he's linked to your chosen one he gets a pass?

Old 02-25-2009, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Plus it's a backhanded compliment, if you're the governor of a state and the VP nominee and all a seasoned Senator can manage to say about you is, "She's good looking."

A lot the same as when she was on SNL and in the opening monologue Alec Baldwin came and took her in hand - WTF. Funny to us but insulting to her and the job she was applying for; why did she go along with it?

OTOH she was bopping along to Amy Poehler's Alaska Rap, so maybe, you know, she is only good-looking.

Old 02-25-2009, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Yeppers, that's wise alright How many millions for a mouse in a marsh in CA? How 'bout that bullet train from CA to LV which was hand written in at the last moment?
How many earmarks in the latest round of crap spending? 9000? How 'bout thinking past Obama's sound bite (that you quoted quite well btw) and maybe you'll realize all this spending has a PRICE that will have to be paid by someone and that someone is US.
I don't disagree that something had to be done but the stimulus was full of non-stimulating plain partisan spending and so is this next round.

As for Palin saying stupid things (which she clearly did), have y'all ever listened to Biden the king of gaffs? So, what, since he's linked to your chosen one he gets a pass?
Obviously you're a fan of right wing propaganda and buzzwords resonate with you...the "mouse in a marsh" is a wetlands project, in real life. As for the 9000 earmarks,
Experts agree that most earmarks are legitimate. Cary Leahey, senior economist with Decision Economics in New York, said the nation's economic crisis is a contributing factor to the plethora of earmarks. Lawmakers can argue that for a relatively small price they've helped boost the economy.

"One congressman's earmark is another legislative way to fix a serious problem in his district," Leahey said.
Democrats have been trying to revamp the earmark process for about two years. In 2007, they instituted a system that required members to explain the contents of each earmark, as well as a justification for why it was included in the legislation that way. They claimed this led to a reduction in earmarks by as much as 43 percent.
Several experts believe that dramatically reducing the number of earmarks, while a laudable goal, is almost impossible. But others contend that earmarks aren't that big of a problem.

"Earmarks get more attention than they deserve," said MacGuineas. "The problem is that they cause a loss of confidence in the whole budget process."
Earmark reform? 2009 spending bill contains 9,000 of them - Politics AP - MiamiHerald.com (http://www.miamiherald.com/news/politics/AP/story/916134.html - broken link)

Old 02-25-2009, 07:23 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,336,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by siouxcia View Post
i saw it more as joe biden being polite and gracious to the 'mainstreamed' girl in school.
lol!!

Old 02-25-2009, 07:33 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,702,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post

Well, Biden says stupid things, but beneath that blather is a proven intellect and a solid grasp of global affairs.

That's very different than not grasping global affairs at all and trying to sound smart to cover it.

As for your off-topic conservative talking points rant, you should fact-check what you are told:

Republicans cry foul over $8 billion for high-speed rail - Los Angeles Times

The article says there is no spending for an LA to LV high speed rail in the bill.

Obama does have a proposed series of regional high speed rail networks across the country, for which the $8 billion dollars was slated on a competitive basis. Perhaps it's time we moved into the twenty-first century and built a rail system worthy of a world power in much the way Europe and Japan do. It would create construction jobs and help build an infrastructure for the twenty-first century in much the way the government-supported railroads did in the 19th and the government-funded highway system did in the twentieth century.

That's all off topic though. Back to the Brain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies