Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 08:35 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,964,793 times

Advertisements

With the exception of number six and seventeen, I can't find too much wrong with these suggestions. I know many women will disagree but I guarantee that if more women did these things today we would drastically cut divorce rates.

What most people who would object to these suggestions would have one believe is that it puts one person, the man in a position of superiority over the woman.

This is the selfish nature of some women today, who always ask what about me first, and feel that the Husband comes somewhere near the middle of the"what's most important list"

Fememist would have you believe this is some type of identured servitude or slavery, that you have been reduced to the place of a household domestic, but no femenist has ever been a man and therefore can never tell you how much these suggestions will ultimately benefit you, the wife.

I've been married for almost 10 years and my wife in addition to doing many of these things also goes to school and helps care for our three children, I would never, ever be tempted to even consider anything with another women because these "perks" that my wife gives me whether she knows it or not is part of the cement that endears me to her and shows me in part her devotion and love for me where she cares to make me happy.

Unfortunately today I see a lot of selfishness in marriage with both parties always asking about themselves and their needs first and I know without a doubt that unless they both change, that the marriage is doomed.

The point of the article is about "SERVICE" to your spouce "FIRST" not your personal concearns. If you devote yourself first to your spouce they will do the same for you, if they are truely wanting to be the best partner thay can be. Marriage is about the other first and self second.

What does my wife get from these things, she does for me? It allows me to wash the dishes when I know she's tired and has to study. To take the children out for two or three hour when she needs personal time. Cooking dinner and having the kids in bed so she has to do nothing when she gets home. Rubbing her back when I really don't want to or sometimes just listening to her when she wants to talk about something,even if I had something else I wanted to do.

Some things are out of fashion, but I think some wives and husbands really should see this article a little more closely.

I'm ready for the fall out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2007, 08:37 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,773,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgirl View Post
If the following was what life was in the fifties, then I say no thanks. Here’s some laughs stirred up by something satirical that’s been circulating around. It’s not copyrighted material and was supposedly published in a house related magazine.

The Good Wife’s Guide – 5/13/55

1. Have dinner ready. Plan ahead, even the night before, to have a delicious meal ready, for his return. This is a way of letting him know that you have been thinking about him and are concerned about his needs. Most men are hungry when they come home and the prospect of a good meal (especially his favorite dish) is part of the warm welcome needed.

2. Prepare yourself. Take 15 minutes to rest so you’ll be refreshed when he arrives. Touch up your make-up, put a ribbon in your hair and be fresh looking. He has just been with a lot of work-weary people.

3. Be a little gay and a little more interesting for him. His boring day may need a lift and one of your duties is to provide it.

4. Clear away the clutter. Make one last trip through the main part of the house just before your husband arrives.

5. Gather up schoolbooks, toys, paper etc. and then run a dust cloth over the tables.

6. Over the cooler months of the year you should prepare and light a fire for him to unwind by. Your husband will feel he has reached a haven of rest and order, and it will give you a lift too. After all, catering for his comfort will provide you with immense personal satisfaction.

7. Prepare the children. Take a few minutes to wash the children’s hands and faces (if they are small), comb their hair and, if necessary, change their clothes. They are little treasures and he would like to see them playing the part. Minimize all noise. At the time of his arrival, eliminate all noise of the washer, dryer or vacuum. Try to encourage the children to be quiet.

8. Be happy to see him.

9. Greet him with a warm smile and show sincerity in your desire to please him.

10. Listen to him. You may have a dozen important things to tell him, but the moment of his arrival is not the time. Let him talk first – remember, his topics of conversation are more important than yours.

11. Make the evening his. Never complain if he comes home late or goes out to dinner, or other places of entertainment without you. Instead, try to understand his world of strain and pressure and his very real need to be at home and relax.

12. Your goal: Try to make sure your home is a place of peace, order and tranquility where your husband can renew himself in body and spirit.

13. Don’t greet him with complaints and problems.

14. Don’t complain if he’s late home for dinner or even if he stays out all night. Count this as minor compared to what he might have gone through that day.

15. Make him comfortable. Have him lean back in a comfortable chair or have him lie down in the bedroom. Have a cool or warm drink ready for him.

16. Arrange his pillow and offer to take off his shoes. Speak in a low, soothing and pleasant voice.

17. Don’t ask him questions about his actions or question his judgment or integrity. Remember, he is the master of the house and as such will always exercise his will with fairness and truthfulness. You have no right to question him.

18. A good wife always knows her place.

Have a nice weekend.

I think I'll show this to my wife, but I'll change the date to 2007....LOL

Old 04-28-2007, 08:47 PM

9,895 posts, read 10,840,663 times
Quote:
If the following was what life was in the fifties, then I say no thanks. Here’s some laughs stirred up by something satirical that’s been circulating around. It’s not copyrighted material and was supposedly published in a house related magazine.

1. Have dinner ready. Plan ahead, even the night before, to have a delicious meal ready, for his return. This is a way of letting him know that you have been thinking about him and are concerned about his needs. Most men are hungry when they come home and the prospect of a good meal (especially his favorite dish) is part of the warm welcome needed.

2. Prepare yourself. Take 15 minutes to rest so you’ll be refreshed when he arrives. Touch up your make-up, put a ribbon in your hair and be fresh looking. He has just been with a lot of work-weary people.

3. Be a little gay and a little more interesting for him. His boring day may need a lift and one of your duties is to provide it.

4. Clear away the clutter. Make one last trip through the main part of the house just before your husband arrives.

5. Gather up schoolbooks, toys, paper etc. and then run a dust cloth over the tables.

6. Over the cooler months of the year you should prepare and light a fire for him to unwind by. Your husband will feel he has reached a haven of rest and order, and it will give you a lift too. After all, catering for his comfort will provide you with immense personal satisfaction.

7. Prepare the children. Take a few minutes to wash the children’s hands and faces (if they are small), comb their hair and, if necessary, change their clothes. They are little treasures and he would like to see them playing the part. Minimize all noise. At the time of his arrival, eliminate all noise of the washer, dryer or vacuum. Try to encourage the children to be quiet.

8. Be happy to see him.

10. Listen to him. You may have a dozen important things to tell him, but the moment of his arrival is not the time. Let him talk first – remember, his topics of conversation are more important than yours.

11. Make the evening his. Never complain if he comes home late or goes out to dinner, or other places of entertainment without you. Instead, try to understand his world of strain and pressure and his very real need to be at home and relax.

12. Your goal: Try to make sure your home is a place of peace, order and tranquility where your husband can renew himself in body and spirit.

14. Don’t complain if he’s late home for dinner or even if he stays out all night. Count this as minor compared to what he might have gone through that day.

15. Make him comfortable. Have him lean back in a comfortable chair or have him lie down in the bedroom. Have a cool or warm drink ready for him.

16. Arrange his pillow and offer to take off his shoes. Speak in a low, soothing and pleasant voice.

17. Don’t ask him questions about his actions or question his judgment or integrity. Remember, he is the master of the house and as such will always exercise his will with fairness and truthfulness. You have no right to question him.

Have a nice weekend.
Now thats what I am talking about! The Good old days!

Old 04-28-2007, 11:54 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,623,117 times
Thumbs up lol!

Quote:

8. Be happy to see him.

Have a nice weekend.

Thanks desertgirl- That is very funny- in fact I will need to forward that to a few of my divorced friends!

sunny

Old 04-29-2007, 12:47 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,472,249 times
Will America ever bring back the Utopia it once had in the 1950's?

You mean like patriotism, loyalty, respect, decency, picnics in the parks and street dances? Music void of filthy language and kids with water pistols instead of AK47s? Clothes that fit or didn’t make you look like you are working the streets? You mean like reading, writing and arithmetic being taught in the schools instead of Johnny has two mommies? You mean when people would never dream of burning the flag of their country where all their loved ones live?

It's not so much what we had in the 50s, it's more what we did not have.

Not a chance.

Last edited by citigirl; 04-29-2007 at 01:06 AM..

Old 04-29-2007, 06:46 AM

8,984 posts, read 21,195,944 times
Quote:

Well, being " a little gay" for one's husband might be a little counterproductive... or maybe a little spicy, depending on one's point of view. (Sorry, I could help the easy sarcasm. )

Actually, for those who aspire to be a SAHM, that's not a bad guide to follow. I would disagree with the parts where the wife is discouraged from questioning or complaining when her husband stays out late without explanation or otherwise makes unilateral decisions that affect the whole family.

Old 04-29-2007, 09:15 AM

2,639 posts, read 3,232,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citigirl View Post
Will America ever bring back the Utopia it once had in the 1950's?

You mean like patriotism, loyalty, respect, decency, picnics in the parks and street dances? Music void of filthy language and kids with water pistols instead of AK47s? Clothes that fit or didn’t make you look like you are working the streets? You mean like reading, writing and arithmetic being taught in the schools instead of Johnny has two mommies? You mean when people would never dream of burning the flag of their country where all their loved ones live?

It's not so much what we had in the 50s, it's more what we did not have.

Not a chance.

I agree. America will never be the same, and I truly feel sorry for the people that don't have a clue and never will how life used to be.

Old 04-29-2007, 09:45 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,150,036 times
Uh, the ever evil flag burners.... in our county's history, there are neglible documented cases, but don't let that get in the way of a good strawman.

Bring back 1955. We already started a few years ago. We got the irrational fear thing back. We got the must agree or you're not a patriot part down real goooood.

We got the hollywood is evil, but parents are perfect thing done with perfection.

Outside of that pesky flooded city, we did a pretty good job of hiding poverty and who cares about Enron?

Uh the good ol' days are back.

we even let minorities ride in front of the bus. Afterall we all have trucks (now called "suv's") so they get to have entire bus.

Certainly no need for energy alternatives... that's what BP and Exxon tell me.

And science... what's up with science? It's so sciencey and not Biblical. It has to go.

Old 04-29-2007, 10:16 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,472,249 times
I forgot one. The vast majority of adults, no matter how they fouled their life or what reckless lifestyles they led they tried hard to protect children to their influences. "Not when the children are around".

Now days many adults do not care they what they do in front of children. In the schools, children are taught to embrace reckless and dangerous behaviors as normal.

OH and STD's were cured with a shot, now they are lifelong or a death sentence.

Old 04-30-2007, 07:09 AM

117 posts, read 431,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasinger View Post
I wasn't alive during the 1950s, but it seemed like a great happy time.

America was booming and the world was relatively peaceful. A young man named Elvis Presley had redefined music. The music was great. Not that noise garbage these young people are listening to now. Women wore pearls and dresses and could really cook. Men were good fathers and supported their children and were responsible.

Don't y'all wish it could be like Leave It To Beaver? I sure do !

Yeah, it was a lovely time for people. Black folks, having to use seperate toilets, water fountains, lynchings, Jim Crow laws,just a lovely, lovely time for all. Women could go to college and study engineering become an engineer...not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies