Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 01:15 AM

1,093 posts, read 3,425,235 times

Advertisements

Editorial -- Mr. Obama should support D.C. school vouchers - washingtonpost.com

OMG
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 03:49 AM

20,349 posts, read 19,937,992 times
Forget it. Teacher's unions won't allow it and they're pretty powerful.

Old 02-26-2009, 04:17 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,292,958 times
My tax dollars support public education.
Want to educate your kids privately? Pay for it.
Aren't you part of the group that wants people to be responsible for themselves?

Old 02-26-2009, 04:53 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,772,368 times
If the schools are bad where a kid lives then the parents should have the full right to remove them from that school and place them in a better school.

Old 02-26-2009, 04:57 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,772,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Aren't you part of the group that wants people to be responsible for themselves?
Mine do too and I am quite happy with the schools where I live but if I were not as fortunate as some folks and lived where the schools are bad or dangerous and they cannot be improved (and don't fool yourself- there are "hopeless" schools in many cities) then the parent should be give the choice to move the child elsewhere. And since most good schools are already full with kids that live in the district, public to public is not often an option that these parents have. So if the school is bad and the parent attempts a public to public transfer and is refused then they should be given a voucher for a private school.

Old 02-26-2009, 05:01 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,292,958 times
I disagree.
If your school is that bad, get out there to the board meetings.
People complain about "nanny state" mentality, yet they don't accept responsibility for what's going on in their own neighborhoods and school districts.
Parents are responsible for their kids education as well as those of us footing the bills.

You want private, you pay for private.
You want parochial, you pay for that, too.

Old 02-26-2009, 06:38 AM

89,060 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:
So, you agree that the U.S. should maintain a publicly educated populace that has HALF the percentage of top students than do other industrialized countries?

"The percentage of top-achieving math students in the nation is about half that of other industrialized countries"
Economic Time Bomb: U.S. Teens Are Among the Worst at Math - WSJ.com

European countries, and many other countries, publicly fund public and private schools.
EDUCATION INDICATOR: An International Perspective / Indicator 45

I'll ask you the same question I've asked others who oppose school choice, public or private... What do you have to gain by keeping American students, from the struggling to those capable of high levels of achievement, undereducated? How does that benefit society as you see it?

Old 02-26-2009, 06:52 AM

Quote:
I disagree.
If your school is that bad, get out there to the board meetings.
People complain about "nanny state" mentality, yet they don't accept responsibility for what's going on in their own neighborhoods and school districts.
They accept responsibility. There's just not a damn thing they can do about it, despite trying for decades. Just one example of what school districts do to manipulate parent/community input in school district operations... The Delphi technique, used to steer public opinion to the school administration's/school district's predetermined outcome.
Illinois Loop: Ziffer on Alinksy/Delphi
About Consensus and Facilitation
Crime Against Parents Delphi Technique
Being Easily Managed - The Delphi Technique
BEWARE - the Delphi Technique (http://www.edaction.org/New/arti0003.htm - broken link)

Read the links (there's more if you'd like), and ask yourself why the exact same thing is happening in so many different locations.

Old 02-26-2009, 06:54 AM

1,105 posts, read 4,571,477 times
Voucher systems are not the way to go simply because it will take much needed money away from the public school system. Whether or not you have children, that public school system is something we ALL benefit from, very much how we all benefit from the military. Actually having a decent, even though we all know it should be better, public school system is probably one of the single most important things that seperate a third world country from a developed country. If half the kids in this country were running around with an even worse education than they already get, this country would be much, much worse off than you could possibly even imagine. Kids support all kinds of businesses, from the $8/hour worker to the $200/hour worker. That is like saying I'm not going to pay taxes to go toward such and such highway even though I never, ever use it. It just doesn't make sense, just happens to be the "fad" right now.

If you want your kids to go to better schools either get involved and make those schools better, move to a better school district, or pay for a private school. But school vouchers are not the way to go. If you want to only pay for the services you directly use, go live in a country like India and see how you like it there.

Old 02-26-2009, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn02674 View Post
Voucher systems are not the way to go simply because it will take much needed money away from the public school system. Whether or not you have children, that public school system is something we ALL benefit from, very much how we all benefit from the military. Actually having a decent, even though we all know it should be better, public school system is probably one of the single most important things that seperate a third world country from a developed country. If half the kids in this country were running around with an even worse education than they already get, this country would be much, much worse off than you could possibly even imagine. Kids support all kinds of businesses, from the $8/hour worker to the $200/hour worker. That is like saying I'm not going to pay taxes to go toward such and such highway even though I never, ever use it. It just doesn't make sense, just happens to be the "fad" right now.

If you want your kids to go to better schools either get involved and make those schools better, move to a better school district, or pay for a private school. But school vouchers are not the way to go. If you want to only pay for the services you directly use, go live in a country like India and see how you like it there.
Read posts 7 and 8, above. You have no clue what's going on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies