Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 10:58 AM

18,823 posts, read 8,484,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Yup.
Most goldbugs are really pretty clueless and are making investment decisions based on emotion rather than logic or even common sense. As I've said on this board many times - I saw that same "the dollar is doomed" goldbug mentality bring those investors a whole lot of grief last time "the dollar is doomed" mania swept the country - and it was wasn't pretty. Gold is a long way from it's bottom and really has no where to go but down at this stage because the QE will end, the economic recovery will continue and the dollar will not collapse. ALL of that is really bad for gold.

Will stocks take a bit of a hit when QE ends?
Yeah, probably - afterall, they've had a HUGE run so a correction of some degree is likely anyway - all that's needed is an "excuse" - and the ending of QE is a good "excuse", but it will be just an "excuse", and the correction will not be excessive and will certainly not erase anywhere near the massive gains of the past few years.

Without the QE "boogyman" - and with virtually no inflation either present or anywhere on the horizon - gold will likely find there is not much reason for buying it anymore - which will likely mean a further leg downward. I've been saying this for quite a while now, and so far gold has indeed been trending down.

Ken
I agree with you, except there are some bright spots with gold on the demand side. China and India. India by its culture, and they are growing. And China by culture and because of their capital controls. How much this offsets the downward pressure, I do not know. I always keep some gold or related, but only a small percentage today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2013, 11:06 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,346,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
I agree with you, except there are some bright spots with gold on the demand side. China and India. India by its culture, and they are growing. And China by culture and because of their capital controls. How much this offsets the downward pressure, I do not know. I always keep some gold or related, but only a small percentage today.
It is true that both those economies are growing, but the current gold price is not based "consumption" of gold, but rather on "speculation" (specifically - an expectation of high inflation (which is NOT going to happen) and an expectation that QE will somehow lead to the collapse of the US dollar).
Remove the "speculation" investors and rely simply on the "consumption" of gold - and there is NO WAY the present gold price is sustainable - hence the ongoing collapse in gold over the last couple of years.

To me it's a no brainer that gold will fall to $1100/ounce (and possibly a LOT lower) and STAY THERE for years (maybe a decade or more) to come.

Ken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies