Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 06:29 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times

Advertisements

Well it is March, time for their "monthly allowance" so they can pay their bills.
We can do this all over again in April when they need more money yet again because I don't see car buying going through the roof this month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2009, 06:33 PM

1,069 posts, read 3,199,371 times
This is the worst kind of handout. After the UAW consumes bailout pie they get a nice desert of 52 weeks of unemployment pay.

Old 02-28-2009, 06:46 PM

37,222 posts, read 19,210,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fopt65 View Post
It's politics. The Democrats don't want to be remembered as the party that signed the death warrant of the UAW by forcing GM to reorganize under Chapter 11.
Exactly. That's why Bush threw them a big enough bone to gnaw on until he could get his sorry butt out of the way of the collapse.

Old 02-28-2009, 06:51 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,034,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Exactly. That's why Bush threw them a big enough bone to gnaw on until he could get his sorry butt out of the way of the collapse.
Interesting.. Somehow I knew Republican opposition to that bailout would somehow land the blame right back on them..

But hey, that's alright! We'll just throw them another $15, $25, hell $50 billion and let them have a field day while the rest of us suffer.

Old 02-28-2009, 07:41 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,090,374 times
Default New technique

Give GM the money they want. Keep giving them the money they seek every time they make that trip to DC - each time asking them "Are you sure you need ANOTHER batch of money".

-Eventually they will feel so crazy, bordering on lunacy, that even they will realize it's foolish to keep asking for government handouts. Of course by that time, we'll be speaknig Chinese and all on governement subsidies.

Old 02-28-2009, 07:45 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,070,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
With the $39.4 billion in loans to GM and Chrysler, the auto suppliers asking for $25.5 billion, and the $25 billion in federal loans for automobile manufacturers to develop more efficient and cleaner vehicles, the total comes to $97.4 billion.

Are sales improving, giving Americans hope that the bailout will end soon?

For the month of January, GM’s sales plunged 49 percent, and Chrysler’s fell 55 percent.

can america keeping giving this kind of money every month or so? people are still being laid off from GM even after getting the money.

Let 'em fail. I see no reason to believe they won't be back in 2 months begging for more.

Old 02-28-2009, 08:17 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,462,246 times
GM needs to be broken up, it parts spun off or sold, and put out of its misery. The loss that it just reported is an indictment of management. It's as if GM management can't anticipate their way out of a paper bag. I can't support any major additional federal aid for that company.

Old 02-28-2009, 08:42 PM

37,222 posts, read 19,210,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
Interesting.. Somehow I knew Republican opposition to that bailout would somehow land the blame right back on them..

But hey, that's alright! We'll just throw them another $15, $25, hell $50 billion and let them have a field day while the rest of us suffer.
Bush personally campaigned for the money they got when the republicans said no.

That's why I said "Bush" tossed them a bone, not "republicans".

Google it.

Old 03-05-2009, 01:34 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
While I may not agree with the Democrats' policy of corporate bailouts, I can understand that Obama (and Congress) do not dare betray the UAW that helps put them in office to begin with. Along with that I am also disappointed that my 12 year old Buick gets better MPG than the latest from GM. Sad really.

Bankrupcty is not neccessarily an option in this case, but the big 3 have made it abundantly clear that 3 separate giants cannot maintain competitive market equalibrium without federal aid.

At some point we have to stop providing corporate bailouts to undeserving companies at the expense of the taxpayer, unfortunately that is not an easy task during recession...
At this point, bankruptcy is the only option short of flat-out nationalization of GM. So far, the only thing the government has accomplished is to prolong the inevitable. But the damage they've done is worse than that. They have now piled a huge amount of debt upon GM that cannot be discharged in bankruptcy, which in turn has diminished the possibility that GM can reorganize under Chapter 11 and re-emerge as a viable concern. The bailout has not helped GM one bit but it may well have helped to bury them.

Old 03-05-2009, 01:36 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
GM and its UAW cronies can go p1ss up a rope.

I say break it up, sell it off, and divide up the proceeds equally among all US taxpayers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies