Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 10:03 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,250,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
My household will pay more taxes under the Obama tax plan, and we are glad to do so.
People say that, yet you never hear of people sending the government extra money when taxes are low.

Kind of like when John Kerry was running on raising taxes on "the rich", yet it was found that he and his billionairess wife only payed 12% in taxes. If "the rich" needed to pay more, I wonder why he took all those deductions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2009, 10:23 PM

5,376 posts, read 5,346,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kootr View Post
Very good on the employment!

Obama's stupid tax increases hurts me too...as if I don't already pay enough taxes.

Tell me what you like so much about Ron Paul. Your mention of his name intrigues me.
He was who I wanted in the primary. As liberal as I might be, I still like his principles (Campaign For Liberty). During his campaign, it wasn't buzz words, it was answers. While I disagree with most of the Washington set on something, I found that both he, and his supporters, seemed the most willing, to listen, then explain their position.

I've been involve with politicians a lot over the past 20 years (interviews, TV commercial production etc) and I've seen them in ways the general public doesn't see them (but there will be no gossip....what is said in private, stays private with most in the industry....only the "bloggers" seem to want to kiss and tell, but they will eventually be left out if they think that will put them on the inside for the long term)

Old 02-28-2009, 10:33 PM

5,376 posts, read 5,346,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Kind of like when John Kerry was running on raising taxes on "the rich", yet it was found that he and his billionairess wife only payed 12% in taxes. If "the rich" needed to pay more, I wonder why he took all those deductions.

Thats why I favor a straight percentage, no deductions, for all. Then there is no hiding by the excessively rich, and there is no finger pointing by everyone else.

While the elimination of taxes should be the ultimate goal, I know this is not a piece of reality in the current environment, but should be, along with the reduction of the size of federal government over time.

(of course I retain the right to disagree with myself, or any of my posts, at any time)

Old 02-28-2009, 10:43 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
Quote:
People say that, yet you never hear of people sending the government extra money when taxes are low.
Republicans think we should do everything possible ($$$$) to bring freedom and peace to the Middle East and I've never seen one saying 1 nice thing to a muslim person.

Old 02-28-2009, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
Thats why I favor a straight percentage, no deductions, for all. Then there is no hiding by the excessively rich, and there is no finger pointing by everyone else.

While the elimination of taxes should be the ultimate goal, I know this is not a piece of reality in the current environment, but should be, along with the reduction of the size of federal government over time.

(of course I retain the right to disagree with myself, or any of my posts, at any time)
I agree.

Old 02-28-2009, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Republicans think we should do everything possible ($$$$) to bring freedom and peace to the Middle East and I've never seen one saying 1 nice thing to a muslim person.
Huh?
All republicans?
Even if I were to accept that ALL republicans felt this way, the analogy still doesn't work. For it to work, you would have to equate "bringing someone freedom" to "liking them". The two dont go hand in hand. Maybe they would like hem better if they were free? Maybe not? But that is a far cry from telling people they need to pay more (as in Kerry's case) while doing everything you can to personally pay less.

Old 02-28-2009, 11:54 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
Quote:
Huh?
All republicans?
Even if I were to accept that ALL republicans felt this way, the analogy still doesn't work.
Damn, I'm so sorry
I forgot the golden rule of "conservative principles":
Don't ever judge a group of people based on what a few of them do

Old 03-01-2009, 03:57 AM

1,718 posts, read 2,299,617 times
There is a high correlation between intelligence and success in life in general and success in employment in particular. The people who get hurt the most in any economic down turn are the less intelligent people. So it really doesn't have anything to do with race. Anyone of any race with sub par intelligence will not be doing well. You will find unintelligent white folks not doing well as well as unintelligent black folks.

- Reel

Last edited by Reelist in Atlanta; 03-01-2009 at 04:15 AM..

Old 03-01-2009, 04:13 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,568,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kootr View Post
Well when the "African Americans" start to realize that their
"own" have been keeping them down by telling them they can't be successful, they won't. Guys like Jessie Jackson is their equivalent of a vampire bat sucking the life force from them to keep his power base.

When it finely occurs to them that Obama is now the President (regardless if he is good or bad), they can do anything they put their mind to once they get off their butts and go do it.

For years, they have been their own worst enemy.

Old 03-01-2009, 04:18 AM

1,718 posts, read 2,299,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
Well when the "African Americans" start to realize that their
"own" have been keeping them down by telling them they can't be successful, they won't. Guys like Jessie Jackson is their equivalent of a vampire bat sucking the life force from them to keep his power base.

When it finely occurs to them that Obama is now the President (regardless if he is good or bad), they can do anything they put their mind to once they get off their butts and go do it.

For years, they have been their own worst enemy.
Not so. There is an enormous difference in the abilities of people. There are people who have the ability to produce much more than they need to survive and there are other people who are unable to even produce what they need to survive. There is no eqaulity of ability.

- Reel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies