Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 08:11 AM

3,425 posts, read 6,310,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
In Oklahoma they don't believe in all that stuff.
Merle Haggard wrote that song "Okie from Muskogee" and although he was born in California, his parents were Okies. It is a very interesting song that talks about the 2 Americas: Liberal and Conservative. What I saw in Oklahoma is a kind of simplicity and quality of life that was long lost in places like California and the East Coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 08:16 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,082,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
Merle Haggard wrote that song "Okie from Muskogee" and although he was born in California, his parents were Okies. It is a very interesting song that talks about the 2 Americas: Liberal and Conservative. What I saw in Oklahoma is a kind of simplicity and quality of life that was long lost in places like California and the East Coast.
I agree with that....BUT I have family ALL OVER Oklahoma and I'll tell you what else has been lost there...EVERYTHING....get off the interstate and look at the closed diners,gas stations,grocery stores,feed stores etc etc etc....A simple life is sometimes code speak for a BROKE life.I love the state myself,but they have nothing to offer their children to stay but low wages and very little hope of a brighter future.

It's now nice area if you are a cow that is smart enough to get the hell out of the way of a tornado.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:25 AM

989 posts, read 2,498,795 times
Quote:
Are Conservatives the real Americans? I visited a small town in Oklahoma last month after having lived here in Minneapolis for so long, I just realized that this urban-uber Liberal city is about as unamerican as it can get!

I drove through Main Street small town Oklahoma and I realized, you know what? This is true America! People walked down the street, greeted each other, the little feed store was filled with people chatting and pick up trucks lined the street, I could hear a tune by George Strait coming from one of the trucks that were parked. Couple men with their cowboy hats walking down the street, a few hunters chatting by the Wal Mart in their orange suits, children riding their bicycles down the street. I did not hear any talk of welfare, crime, robbery, murder, Affirmative Action, gay marriage, illegal immigration, La Raza, and all this other garbage associated with living in a urban environment.

For all these years, I have been looking for real America and I think I found it!
OK is cool! You'd like Texas too.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:26 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,231,957 times
Quote:
Are Conservatives the real Americans? I visited a small town in Oklahoma last month after having lived here in Minneapolis for so long, I just realized that this urban-uber Liberal city is about as unamerican as it can get!

I drove through Main Street small town Oklahoma and I realized, you know what? This is true America! People walked down the street, greeted each other, the little feed store was filled with people chatting and pick up trucks lined the street, I could hear a tune by George Strait coming from one of the trucks that were parked. Couple men with their cowboy hats walking down the street, a few hunters chatting by the Wal Mart in their orange suits, children riding their bicycles down the street. I did not hear any talk of welfare, crime, robbery, murder, Affirmative Action, gay marriage, illegal immigration, La Raza, and all this other garbage associated with living in a urban environment.

For all these years, I have been looking for real America and I think I found it!
I'm sure it's a great place as long as you're white, heterosexual, evangelical Christian, and into country music. Sounds like pure hell to me. Oklahoma is a state a don't care to ever step foot in again in my life.

You're also very insulting by insinuating that city dwellers, non whites, gay people, etc. are "garbage" and not real Americans.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:33 AM

3,425 posts, read 6,310,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXIronHorse View Post
OK is cool! You'd like Texas too.
I was in the Texas/OK panhandle last month and that is a very interesting part of our country that few people know about. There is a town there called Guymon, OK which is pretty isolated but I always thought about retiring there. Now, I noticed the town is almost majority Hispanic, I absolutely do not recognize the town anymore, it is beginning to look a lot like Mexico, I may consider a small town on the TX side.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:38 AM

5,160 posts, read 9,173,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I'm sure it's a great place as long as you're white, heterosexual, evangelical Christian, and into country music. Sounds like pure hell to me. Oklahoma is a state a don't care to ever step foot in again in my life.

You're also very insulting by insinuating that city dwellers, non whites, gay people, etc. are "garbage" and not real Americans.
That's odd. I thought America was supposed to be a big melting pot.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:43 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,082,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
That's odd. I thought America was supposed to be a big melting pot.
They are just kinda particular about what ingredients go into the stew ol'buddy.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:45 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,708,272 times
Quote:
Actually, Haggard wrote the song to make fun of the small town, conservative values of the 60s. In Mr. Haggard's own words:

"It started out as a joke. We wrote to be satirical originally. But then people latched onto it, and it really turned into this song that looked into the mindset of people so opposite of who and where we were. My dad's people. He's from Muskogee, you know?" Haggard once noted about "Okie from Muskogee."[1] In fact, critic Kurt Wolff wrote that Haggard always considered what became a redneck anthem to be a spoof, and that today fans - even the hippies that are derided in the lyrics - have taken a liking to the song and take humor in some of the lyrics.[2]"

Who can ya trust anymore, eh Repubocrat?

Last edited by Bluefly; 03-03-2009 at 09:03 AM..

Old 03-03-2009, 08:46 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
In Oklahoma they don't believe in all that stuff.
Bull S hit KevK. Absolutely ridiculous statement. Stupid. Asinine

Old 03-03-2009, 08:47 AM

2,788 posts, read 8,015,308 times
Quote:

Funny, you just described a scene similar to many parts of Maine that are still very liberal. Go figure. People and patriotism can't be pigeon holed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies