Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 10:45 AM

553 posts, read 836,905 times

Advertisements

Reading forums and articles from the UK it seems like many folks are feeling pretty dissed after Brown's visit... The combination of the lackluster reception (no grand press conference as per usual, no couples meeting ,etc..), Obama's Demeanor, the rejection of the Churchill bust and the cheapskate gifting didn't sit well with our bros across the pond....

I don't understand why Obama wouldn't pull out all the stops for our biggest ally in the ****ing world...

Anyone in the UK have thoughts on this?

I thought the gift thing was pretty interesting and really shows a lack of thought and consideration on Obama's part...

Gordon Brown gave Obama:

1. Ornamental desk pen holder made from oak from a victorian anti-slave ship named the HMS President (the same ship that Obama's Desk in the Oval Office is made from.

2. Comission from the HMS Resolute - A vessel symbolizing British/US peace when it was saved by Americans and given to Queen Victoria

3. First edition set of the 7 volume classic biography of Churchill..

Obama's gift to Gordon Brown:

25 DVDs of classic American Films.....

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1159627/Just-wanted-Barack-Obamas-blockbuster-gift-25-DVDs-Brown-reaffirm-special-relationship.html

Michelle Obama's gifts to the Brown's children was PATHETIC!!! Freebie Marine 1 models!
Sarah Brown gave Sasha and Malia Obama an outfit each from Topshop, which has just opened its first American store in New York.
She also picked six children's books by British authors which are shortly to be published in America.
But the British press has already accused the Obamas of gaffing over the gifts they gave in return.
The Obamas gave the Browns two models of the presidential helicopter, Marine One, to take home to sons Fraser and John.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2009, 10:49 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,527,092 times
We're in a recession.

Maybe you haven't heard.

Old 03-05-2009, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
We're in a recession.

Maybe you haven't heard.
That doesn't seem to be preventing him from throwing lavish parties every week in the White House...

Or from spending hundreds of Billions of dollars and agenda driven programs...

I'm sure there was something special lying around the white house that wouldn't have cost a dime...

This is ridiculous.. I'm embarrassed.

Old 03-05-2009, 10:58 AM

8,064 posts, read 18,006,266 times
Yep, the prime minister was not treated as a head of state should be. There was no official press conference with the countries' flags on display, no State Dinner, and. if I'm reading correctly, not even a ceremonial luncheon! Obama skipped off after meeting with Brown to greet BOY SCOUTS. And, on CNN last night, they were showing the Obamas having a big party at the White House for some of their Congressional friends.

It's shameful. And why do I think Obama would roll out the red carpet if presidents or prime ministers from Africa came to visit? The Obamas will be in London soon for a summit and I wish the Britons would treat them accordingly. (But they won't -- they're far more cultured and dignified.) No tea with the Queen, no state dinners, just point them in the direction of the local chip shop if they get hungry and give them a London Travel Card.

I hope Great Britain remembers this when Obama asks them to send more troops to support our causes or when he needs their support for issues at the UN.

Old 03-05-2009, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Yep, the prime minister was not treated as a head of state should be. There was no official press conference with the countries' flags on display, no State Dinner, and. if I'm reading correctly, not even a ceremonial luncheon! Obama skipped off after meeting with Brown to greet BOY SCOUTS. And, on CNN last night, they were showing the Obamas having a big party at the White House for some of their Congressional friends.

It's shameful. And why do I think Obama would roll out the red carpet if presidents or prime ministers from Africa came to visit? The Obamas will be in London soon for a summit and I wish the Britons would treat them accordingly. (But they won't -- they're far more cultured and dignified.) No tea with the Queen, no state dinners, just point them in the direction of the local chip shop if they get hungry and give them a London Travel Card.

I hope Great Britain remembers this when Obama asks them to send more troops to support our causes or when he needs their support for issues at the UN.

What an embarrassment... My 2 year old has better manners.

I hope that Great Britain won't hold this against our nation when we need their help again... My feeling is that this is the first of many snubs which will be directed towards our staunchest allies...

Old 03-05-2009, 11:35 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,730,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Undeader View Post
Reading forums and articles from the UK it seems like many folks are feeling pretty dissed after Brown's visit... The combination of the lackluster reception (no grand press conference as per usual, no couples meeting ,etc..), Obama's Demeanor, the rejection of the Churchill bust and the cheapskate gifting didn't sit well with our bros across the pond....

I don't understand why Obama wouldn't pull out all the stops for our biggest ally in the ****ing world...

Anyone in the UK have thoughts on this?

I thought the gift thing was pretty interesting and really shows a lack of thought and consideration on Obama's part...

Gordon Brown gave Obama:

1. Ornamental desk pen holder made from oak from a victorian anti-slave ship named the HMS President (the same ship that Obama's Desk in the Oval Office is made from.

2. Comission from the HMS Resolute - A vessel symbolizing British/US peace when it was saved by Americans and given to Queen Victoria

3. First edition set of the 7 volume classic biography of Churchill..

Obama's gift to Gordon Brown:

25 DVDs of classic American Films.....

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1159627/Just-wanted-Barack-Obamas-blockbuster-gift-25-DVDs-Brown-reaffirm-special-relationship.html

Michelle Obama's gifts to the Brown's children was PATHETIC!!! Freebie Marine 1 models!
Sarah Brown gave Sasha and Malia Obama an outfit each from Topshop, which has just opened its first American store in New York.
She also picked six children's books by British authors which are shortly to be published in America.
But the British press has already accused the Obamas of gaffing over the gifts they gave in return.
The Obamas gave the Browns two models of the presidential helicopter, Marine One, to take home to sons Fraser and John.
Obama was probable out of money since he bought a SWING SET for his daughters that is placed outside the Oval office. On the local radio they joked that it looks like an Al Quada trainings set, with the ropes, etc...

Supersized Sunshine Castle Package II Best Seller - Swing Sets - Rainbow Play Systems

The Associated Press: Obama surprises daughters with new swing set

Old 03-05-2009, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Obama was probable out of money since he bought a SWING SET for his daughters that is placed outside the Oval office. On the local radio they joked that it looks like an Al Quada trainings set, with the ropes, etc...

Supersized Sunshine Castle Package II Best Seller - Swing Sets - Rainbow Play Systems

The Associated Press: Obama surprises daughters with new swing set

Looks like life is good for the Obama's

Old 03-05-2009, 12:03 PM

5,110 posts, read 7,138,238 times
Quote:
Obama has no manners! Completely disrespected the UK

Old 03-05-2009, 12:05 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,727,909 times
but would not mind going to one of those white house dinners and get me a taste of that colby beef ribeyes stakes... now i know why the country is so broke!!! do you think that they could throw a country wide all you can eat porkulous package roast for all american citizens

Old 03-05-2009, 12:13 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
Apparently Obama is picking up where George Bush left off:

From the OP's link:

Quote:
The Prime Minister has not had the best of luck when receiving gifts from U.S. presidents.
He was given a fur-trimmed brown leather bomber jacket by George W. Bush during first trip to America in summer 2007.
Emblazoned with the presidential seal and the logo of Camp David, it also boasted a black patch bearing the name 'Rt Hon Gordon Brown'.
Commentators gleefully pointed out that the garment was hardly in keeping with Mr Brown's usual sober attire of business suit and tie.
Not surprisingly, it later emerged that the PM had decided not to keep the gift. Instead, he gave it to charity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies