Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 10:05 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,308,096 times

Advertisements

I am looking for a conservative educator who can earn and command the respect of both liberals and conservatives. I am a conservative so I would like to have an instructor help me understand why I am correct, or maybe I am incorrect. It would be simply great to just have an educational discussion. We don't need emotion, but solid fact backed training.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2009, 10:08 AM

26,212 posts, read 19,509,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
I am looking for a conservative educator who can earn and command the respect of both liberals and conservatives. I am a conservative so I would like to have an instructor help me understand why I am correct, or maybe I am incorrect. It would be simply great to just have an educational discussion. We don't need emotion, but solid fact backed training.

You're looking for confirmation of what you believe in, there are multitudes of people looking for confirmation of what they believe in. However, if what is proposed in theory turns out to be far different than what is actually practiced, you must ask yourself why that is so. Even if the answers reveal an ugly truth. That is one question only you can ask, and only you can answer. That is called having an open mind, something not often found on the conservative side. However, such a thing is often found in liberal circles, in fact, it is a requirement in many instances. And the opposite is also true with conservatives, hence, they dont make good educators.

Old 03-15-2009, 10:18 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,308,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
You're looking for confirmation of what you believe in, there are multitudes of people looking for confirmation of what they believe in. However, if what is proposed in theory turns out to be far different than what is actually practiced, you must ask yourself why that is so. Even if the answers reveal an ugly truth. That is one question only you can ask, and only you can answer. That is called having an open mind, something not often found on the conservative side. However, such a thing is often found in liberal circles, in fact, it is a requirement in many instances. And the opposite is also true with conservatives, hence, they dont make good educators.
In my days, I have found your words to be true, but let me inject one minor amendment to your statement. I agree that open minds are rare on the conservative side, but I have never met a genuinely open minded liberal. EVER! Now, if that person is you, then lets begin a conversation that while uncomfortable at times, could be revealing to all.

Old 03-15-2009, 10:36 AM

Quote:
In my days, I have found your words to be true, but let me inject one minor amendment to your statement. I agree that open minds are rare on the conservative side, but I have never met a genuinely open minded liberal. EVER! Now, if that person is you, then lets begin a conversation that while uncomfortable at times, could be revealing to all.

My opinion doesnt make it true, nor does it make it so. However, I think ALL Liberals TRY and be honest, while I find many conservatives (not all, obviously) to actually avoid discussions, or even the acknowledgment of what has gone wrong with conservatism in America. Thats why conservatives have moved the discussion away from tangible, concrete examples and used diversions (manufactured controversies, manufactured wars, manufactured disgust to bailouts resulting from avarice and criminal wrongdoings of their own party) to shift the argument to one of ideology. Accuse the others of being _____ or _____.

It's been done for 8 staright years, the real tragedy is not that conservatives have practiced this day in and day out (which in its own right is inexcusable) its that people unknowingly support it.

Thats my take on it. I'm not claiming its all correct, I know better, but I'd say its pretty close. At least the core argument is sound because I base on it 8 years of close observation. I expect if it were to be debunked, someone could provide examples. I think I could come up with some of my own too.

Old 03-15-2009, 11:01 AM

2,260 posts, read 3,880,345 times
The extremes on both sides minds are closed. As you move towards the center people begin to think. The difference is that the left is a coalition and their extremes are all over the place gays, environmentals, dopers, peaceniks . Consevatives are more of a consensus so their extremes are the same mostly religious.

While colleges and Universities might seem to be out of balance as far as political ideologies my experience doesnt prove this out. In my business studies to a professor they were all Conservative. If I walk through my church I see just as many people I know to be liberal as conservative.

Old 03-15-2009, 11:04 AM

2,260 posts, read 3,880,345 times
this is alot of broad generalizations and uninformed opinion. myopic dribble based on a kaliedoscopic view of the facts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
My opinion doesnt make it true, nor does it make it so. However, I think ALL Liberals TRY and be honest, while I find many conservatives (not all, obviously) to actually avoid discussions, or even the acknowledgment of what has gone wrong with conservatism in America. Thats why conservatives have moved the discussion away from tangible, concrete examples and used diversions (manufactured controversies, manufactured wars, manufactured disgust to bailouts resulting from avarice and criminal wrongdoings of their own party) to shift the argument to one of ideology. Accuse the others of being _____ or _____.

It's been done for 8 staright years, the real tragedy is not that conservatives have practiced this day in and day out (which in its own right is inexcusable) its that people unknowingly support it.

Thats my take on it. I'm not claiming its all correct, I know better, but I'd say its pretty close. At least the core argument is sound because I base on it 8 years of close observation. I expect if it were to be debunked, someone could provide examples. I think I could come up with some of my own too.

Old 03-15-2009, 11:07 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
I've had radical professors, and ultra conservative ones. In every case, with the exception of one ******* I found them open to any well supported point of view. I have found radical professors who would not hesitate at marking down the unsupported arguments of radical students and the same in the case of those that were conservative. The bottom line is, you have to be able to understand the arguments put forth by any professor, demonstrate a grasp of the subject matter as taught.

Old 03-15-2009, 12:38 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,380,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan61 View Post
The extremes on both sides minds are closed. As you move towards the center people begin to think. The difference is that the left is a coalition and their extremes are all over the place gays, environmentals, dopers, peaceniks . Consevatives are more of a consensus so their extremes are the same mostly religious.
I don't know that I agree with that. I don't see the business elite having a ton in common with the Nascar crowd. I'd say both parties are random, bizarre amalgamations. That's the problem with a two-party system. I think a case could easily be made for at least 3 parties in the US, and arguably many more.

As for conservative professors, they are out there. I've had a few. Fiscally conservative, anyway.

Old 03-15-2009, 01:28 PM

21,615 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
There are many conservative professors in Connecticut - more fiscally conservative and socially liberal however. All still backed Bush and the war in Iraq though.

Old 03-15-2009, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan61 View Post
this is alot of broad generalizations and uninformed opinion. myopic dribble based on a kaliedoscopic view of the facts.
The operative word you cons always get wrong, and are looking for, is "drivel", not "dribble", dribble is what rolls off the chins of those who listen to Rush Limbaugh. And I have a "kaleidoscopic" view of the "facts"?

Okay.

Last edited by odanny; 03-15-2009 at 02:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies