Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2009, 11:47 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,618,997 times

Advertisements

SEATTLE, Washington (CNN) -- The homeless men and women shuffle across the frozen ground of the tent camp and surround a steel drum burning wood. They use the flames to cook food and to stay warm.

Tent city becomes home in tough times - CNN.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2009, 12:15 AM

527 posts, read 1,282,452 times
That's really sad. I feel for those people. Question is, what is our government doing about it?

Old 03-20-2009, 01:34 AM

3,131 posts, read 9,379,228 times
^ The govt. is too busy giving $ billions of our money to millionaires who are both failures at business and at being human.

Old 03-20-2009, 02:22 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,271,006 times
When I was homeless, the most terrifying thing was knowing that at the end of the day you never knew if you'd get in the shelter or not. It becomes every man/woman for themselves. If some neo walks away to get something they forgot everyone behind them is one chance closer. It was literally on a floor but it was inside and fairly warm and safe. When I couldn't get in I went to Denny's and drank coffee all night.

There are longer term programs out there but they take time and I'm sure are overwhelmed. Just knowing that your stuff is still there and there is a place to go would have made things a lot simpler.

The really telling thing in the article is the comment by the neighborhood resident... that it could be them tomorrow. This is the real reason why so many don't want to deal with the subject and would rather pretend that it didnt' exist. Out of sight, out of mind.

Old 03-20-2009, 02:43 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,790,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
SEATTLE, Washington (CNN) -- The homeless men and women shuffle across the frozen ground of the tent camp and surround a steel drum burning wood. They use the flames to cook food and to stay warm.

AARP september issue I believe had an article similar happening in california. People displaced out of their homes from foreclosure, they're in tents, the houses sit there rotting. Reminds me of farmers being paid to let crops rot in piles knowing there was anyone starving in the world.

I wish there were simple answers but once a property is grossly over valued, there is no way around it-- someone is going to eat it. Hindsight had the fed not lowered interest rates but instead raised them to cool down this housing bubble... just one player in a large cast of characters I know.

------------------
Quote:
My enemy is not my fellow citizens. My enemy is lies.
Every time I find a conservative who is an enemy of lies, I find my America.
Every time I find a liberal who is an enemy of lies, I find my America.
I do not care what their religion is, what generation, what color state or skin. This for me is the only 'for me or against me' affinity argument worthy of enlistment.
Let my America stand on truth. ~Harborlady

Old 03-20-2009, 03:33 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,271,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
AARP september issue I believe had an article similar happening in california. People displaced out of their homes from foreclosure, they're in tents, the houses sit there rotting. Reminds me of farmers being paid to let crops rot in piles knowing there was anyone starving in the world.
Some banks are taking a different strategy. They are "renting back" homes to the forclosed. They have to agree to give up ownership, but while forclosure is completed, the bank works out a deal of a rental payment that they can afford and essencially rents to the former owners. It may be way below a normal rent, but the house is occupied not trashed, the lawn is cut and the plants watered and overall the neighborhood doesn't look like a ghost town. It unfortunate that they didn't come up with this idea before. But so many of the empties are already in bad condition and would cost the bank to fix them up so they could be rented.

Old 03-20-2009, 05:19 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,173,251 times
Yeah, I saw the thing on the news about a tent city in California.
These weren't people that never did anything to have a good life.
They were people who tried to live the American dream, had jobs, homes, cars, etc, and were doing ok untill the economy collapsed and their jobs were closed down through no fault of their own and there was no way they could sustain their obligations and lifestyle working in a fast food place.
So they lost everything.
It also showed some people who had campers that were paid off and they were living in them wherever they could find a place to park on a street without being harrased by the cops.
Very sad. There are a lot of good people who have lost what they thought they never would because of circumstances beyond their control. If the jobs hadn't went away they would still be living the way they always thought they would if they just could go to a good paying job everyday which they were doing before the bad times hit and what they expected to do until retirement.
Some have went from the pursuit of the American dream to just the pursuit of survival.
Some won't be able to handle their bad fortune and circumstances and lose the will to live.
That has already happened, according to news reports, to at least a half dozen families in my state.

Old 03-20-2009, 09:03 AM

2,541 posts, read 2,740,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post

Get used to it people - dont believe Bald Ben when he says it will be fine by year end - no way. If you cant see the writin on the wall something wrong with you. seattle one pf the better places too. They will be more and more tent city - if you can afford to buy a tent - look for looting too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies