Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 07:39 AM

89,030 posts, read 44,840,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
It's not a huge amount of food. A medium Big Mac Meal has 1080 calories.

I bought some cookies and 2 had 200 calories so if you eat 10 cookies that's 1000 calories.

Some snack cakes have over 700 calories alone.

A donut has 200 calories of more and you can eat it in 30 seconds.
And... that's why the US has an obesity problem. Also, due to this:

Here's the damage Food Stamps and other means-tested government-provided free food/meal programs are doing...

Even the USDA has noticed there's a correlation between receiving Food Stamps and obesity. And the USDA OIG has recommended halting the overlapping of government free food services for the exact same daily meals.

The obesity rates of the poor on food stamps compared to the poor who aren't on food stamps, and compared to the rest of the population:

Income-eligible children on food stamps: 24%
Income-eligible children NOT on food stamps: 20%
Non-poor children who of course don't even qualify for food stamps: 13%

Kids who get Food Stamps (and free school meals, and who knows how many additional Nutrition Service benefits) have an 85% higher obesity rate than kids who don't qualify for those benefits.

Income-eligible adults on food stamps: 44% obese
Income-eligible adults NOT on food stamps: 33% obese
Non-poor adults who of course don't even qualify for food stamps: 32% obese

Adults who get Food Stamps (and who knows how many additional Nutrition Service benefits) have a 33.3% higher obesity rate than adults who qualify for those benefits but choose to not receive them.

Do the math, and recognize that this is a SIGNIFICANT problem.

Exhibit 5, here:
http://www.fns.usda.gov/sites/defaul...-SNAP07-10.pdf

Also, it certainly does appear that the children of poor and low-income families who receive free school breakfast, lunch, etc., program meals, regardless of whether they get food stamps, are being overfed.

And to confirm, the USDA OIG (Office of the Inspector General) has found that a full 59% of families on Food Stamps also double-dip and triple-dip, or more, free food benefits from major Federal means-tested free food programs for the exact same daily meals:

Overlap and Duplication in Food and Nutrition Service's Nutrition Programs - USDA OIG
http://www.usda.gov/oig/webdocs/27001-0001-10.pdf

Let that sink in... A full 59% of families on Food Stamps also double-dip and triple-dip, or more, free food benefits from major Federal means-tested free food programs for the exact same daily meals.

Are we really doing the poor any favors by causing their obesity by letting them double-dip and sometimes even triple-dip or more government free food program benefits, thereby enabling their overeating and ruining their health? They are disproportionately obese, and cost us a lot more tax money to pay for their obesity-related health problems, such as heart disease and diabetes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2019, 07:40 AM

4,032 posts, read 2,717,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
I remember when I was younger.....and growing up in a beach area....I starved all winter to make sure I would look 'magazine perfect' in a bikini. Now I'm 50 and I so regret that I let the media determine how I was supposed to look. I was miserable and self conscious for YEARS.... what a pile of crap! All this 'weigh less than 100 pounds' is garbage. That isn't a woman or a mom.....that is a starved human being who is being emotionally manipulated.

My daughter had a plumper frame. She is proud of herself......and I'm proud of her too. She is a beautiful healthy young woman.
When I was in the Army, I always had to be tape-tested because I was 'overweight'. I was five-foot-seven and my weight limit for my age and height was 145. I weighed 147. And wore a size 8 (dangerously close to a size 6.) I would pass those tape tests, but it was embarrassing as all hell to even have to do them. It just seemed to emphasize that something was 'wrong' with me.

To add to this, I was recommended to go to counseling to see if there was a way to help me lose those two pounds so I *wouldn't* have to keep getting taped. So I'm sitting in an Army doctor's office, feeling like crap about this. He comes in, and apparently he had only glanced at the file, because he said, "I'm told you're here for weight counseling. You look a *little* thin, but not badly so, but we'll get you up on the scale--"* and I interrupted and told him I was being sent in because I was *overweight*. The look of shock on his face as he looked me up and down and tried to process that the Army considered me to be overweight made me feel a bit better.

In civilian life, my weight has yo-yo'd up and down over the years. I think mainly due to depression/PTSD--if I get upset or anxious or stressed, I curl up somewhere and eat. Being on sertraline has helped with the depression part--however, it did cause some weight gain. But I've also started cooking more, and living four doors down from a large wooded area with 25 miles of trails has helped get me inspired to walk more. And two of my coworkers and I take two 15-minute walks a day during the workday.

Plus, painting my house did cause me to drop a jeans size. I put that down to going up and down a stepladder all the livelong day. I'm not where I want to be yet, but I'm also setting more realistic goals. I look at the past pictures of myself as a size 8 and realize that I'm far too thin--you can see bones jutting out everywhere in those pictures. Size 10 and 12 pictures seem to be where I look my best--there's definition, but it's not extreme.

*--in the military, being underweight is also considered a problem.

Old 01-06-2019, 07:48 AM

50,308 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
It's not a huge amount of food. A medium Big Mac Meal has 1080 calories.

I bought some cookies and 2 had 200 calories so if you eat 10 cookies that's 1000 calories.

Some snack cakes have over 700 calories alone.

A donut has 200 calories of more and you can eat it in 30 seconds.
Most people would have trouble finishing a big mac meal much the less want anything else to eat the rest of the day.

Once you stretch your stomach and get used to eating a ridiculous amount of food you have conditioned your brain to want more, thus obesity.

The only time I can eat a huge amount of food is training for either a marathon or a century ride and even then it's hard to eat that much and not feel disgusting.

Old 01-06-2019, 08:23 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,116,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I have a co-worker at my job who is bigger than the guy and the wife and he manages to get though a full day of work just fine.

Heck, I'm 6'4 and 290 lbs. (trying to work on it) and not enough of a wimp to take government benefits because of my girth. This family should be ashamed of themselves.

And for the student, i dont have time to excerise either so i made time. I get up at 6 to go to my building's gym. cry me a river.
I also used to work with a guy bigger than that guy in the article and he was one of the hardest working people in that office.

Old 01-06-2019, 08:26 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,116,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
I remember when I was younger.....and growing up in a beach area....I starved all winter to make sure I would look 'magazine perfect' in a bikini. Now I'm 50 and I so regret that I let the media determine how I was supposed to look. I was miserable and self conscious for YEARS.... what a pile of crap! All this 'weigh less than 100 pounds' is garbage. That isn't a woman or a mom.....that is a starved human being who is being emotionally manipulated.

My daughter had a plumper frame. She is proud of herself......and I'm proud of her too. She is a beautiful healthy young woman.
Everything in moderation. Too skinny isn't healthy and is a turn-off for many people I know. This doesn't mean too fat is good, either.

Old 01-06-2019, 08:27 AM

5,407 posts, read 3,603,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
How deeply did you have to dig to find this old fossil of a thread? That's no reflection on my feelings about the issue, just wonder at how you did it. I find it challenging to keep up with what's been posted here in a single week.
didn't have to dig at all, it sort of just appeared.

Old 01-06-2019, 08:28 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,474,011 times
Quote:
It's one of the last groups where people think it's acceptable to mock them.
It`s not hard to figure out why the president doesn`t mock them.

Old 01-06-2019, 08:40 AM

4,526 posts, read 6,087,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
It`s not hard to figure out why the president doesn`t mock them.
thanks for my laugh of the day

Old 01-06-2019, 08:48 AM

19,642 posts, read 12,231,401 times
If the government approves them for disability based on weight, blame the government. Usually they also have medical problems, that may be too late to be cured by weight loss.

Old 01-06-2019, 08:51 AM

15,637 posts, read 10,393,078 times
Why has an almost 10 year old thread been resurrected, especially for a topic that has been beaten to death?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies