Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2009, 10:43 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,496,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
That's not true. Most rich people are self-made.

The percentage of Blue Blood Wealth and Old money is far far lower than the MSM would like you to think. A majority of the Top 5% are self-made.

Sure there are people that fit the above stereotype, but so what. Luck of the draw, Genetic Lottery. So, do you hate the guy that won the Power Ball 75 Million as well?

Enjoy YOUR life and stop worrying about what other people have. -My Mom
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 10:44 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,585,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
The percentage of Blue Blood Wealth and Old money is far far lower than the MSM would like you to think. A majority of the Top 5% are self-made.

Sure there are people that fit the above stereotype, but so what. Luck of the draw, Genetic Lottery. So, do you hate the guy that won the Power Ball 75 Million as well?

Enjoy YOUR life and stop worrying about what other people have. -My Mom
Well said.

Old 03-23-2009, 10:45 AM

6,218 posts, read 7,729,420 times
In the end, personal responsibility is the blame for all that is wrong. Rich, or poor makes no difference. Government pushing the ideas that one "class" or another is to blame, thereby pitting one against the other, is the ultimate danger.......
Again, where was all the outrage against the "rich" several years ago. Decades ago, the outrage against the "rich" and "elite" was in Russia, just before a revolution. See any parallels here?

Old 03-23-2009, 10:46 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,199,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
That's not true. Most rich people are self-made.

No, they arent. Thats a complete myth. Very few wealthy people are truely self made, meaning they came from nothing, to large amounts of wealth.

A majority inherited it, came from upper middle class households that allowed them better methods of collecting it, or through their families political connections.

99% of people born in the gutter, die in the gutter. Period.

Old 03-23-2009, 10:49 AM

1,224 posts, read 1,287,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
No, thats how to create an entrepreneur.

Here is the recipe for a majority of rich people

- Throw in family wealth
- Throw in a priveledged life
- Toss in admission to the best colleges
- Use generous leverage amongst your family connections
- Add a cushy job where your salary exceeds your value by many times gained mostly through your connections
- Listen to other people who have good ideas, but do not own capital
- Let them borrow some of your money
- Gain huge return, and continuously demand increasing returns
Many rich people started as entrepreneurs.

Your claim that the "majority of rich people" are not self-made is questionable. Where did you get the statistic? Is it manufactured or substantiated?

What is "rich". No "progressive" seems intelligent enough to explain that term.

Old 03-23-2009, 10:50 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,496,019 times
Quote:
No, they arent. Thats a complete myth. Very few wealthy people are truely self made, meaning they came from nothing, to large amounts of wealth.

A majority inherited it, came from upper middle class households that allowed them better methods of collecting it, or through their families political connections.

The Upper-Middle Class isn't that wealthy. Hate to clue you in on that. In fact, I would venture to say they hold a higher percentage of debt than the middle or upper class.

And still, why do you begrudge people that are born into a lucky situation? If people followed your methodology of hatred/disgust/jealous, 99% of the world would have distain for you because you were born in America.

Old 03-23-2009, 10:51 AM

3,283 posts, read 5,207,534 times
Quote:
A vote for the true free market is as far away from a step in my direction as possible. Thats all we need, is to remove the government barrier in the middle of the complete fleecing of the lower classes.
you obviously don't understand the true free market! monopolies and extreme wealth are government creations. they cannot exist without regulations which hamper the entrepreneur on a shoestring from providing competition!

Old 03-23-2009, 10:52 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,585,253 times
Quote:

You can be self-made without being born in a gutter. By your standard, only a small portion of the population would even have the ability to be considered self-made no matter what they did - because they weren't born in a gutter.

Old 03-23-2009, 10:56 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,793,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
"""Now let's get to work. Everyone who got up early, went to school, played by the rules, make good choices - let's make sure they don;t make too much money - it is only fair because they made good decisions and thus we don't want them to get too far ahead of everyone else- it is only FAIR."""

YUP, last 8 years we did EXACTLY that! In case you hadn't noticed THOSE people are also OUT OF A JOB!

And ONLY morons think all the wealthy worked their way out of a ghetto and struggled to the top.
Awesome, I want to make random baseless claims too!

Right-hand turns should be abolished! They prop up the turn signal bulb companies, which are all run by terrible rich people!

Rich people tried to steal my office chair last night!

Drug dealers are the only ones hiring, and their health insurance is great!

And best of all, people should never try at anything. Obviously no one is able to better their situation or succeed because Who?Me! said so!

My philosophy:
It should be a goal to prove the types of people that say you can't make anything of yourself or become successful wrong on a daily basis.

Old 03-23-2009, 10:59 AM

3,283 posts, read 5,207,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
My posting this link does not negate my opinion that deregulation is what leads to unbridled greed and corruption. Why would you assume that?

i thought after reading that article you'd come around to the idea that what we have are 'rigged markets' not 'free markets'!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies