Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 06:21 PM

57,240 posts, read 26,182,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
Where did you read that he modified the gun to fire on automatic? Every story about this case that I have read, indicted that the rifle was not modified to include a full auto sear.

If I remember correctly, the ATF could not get the rifle to malfunction in their first set of tests. They were not able to get the rifle to malfunction until they disassembled and assembled the rifle many times during their second set of tests.
There was a 3rd setting, he modified the gun to fire on automatic.

This is why people lump in reasonable gun owners as gun nuts. Resurrecting a story from 2006 and then arguing that he is innocent even though he was convicted by a jury and the facts indicate otherwise. The fact that he ordered parts and "lent" the gun to another person only add to his conviction.

If you have the results of the ATF as stated from a legitimate source then provide the link, I don't expect that one exists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2014, 06:53 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,740,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post

This is why people lump in reasonable gun owners as gun nuts. Resurrecting a story from 2006 and then arguing that he is innocent even though he was convicted by a jury and the facts indicate otherwise. The fact that he ordered parts and "lent" the gun to another person only add to his conviction.

If you have the results of the ATF as stated from a legitimate source then provide the link, I don't expect that one exists.
Do you even know how a fire selector even works?

Hell they sell some that have 3 positions and they are semi auto only.

No this is why leftist lump gun owners as gun nuts..

It is a great story about a man railroad by incompetence of the ATF.

To you and people like you there never is a "legitimate source"....

I can only hope you fun afoul of a small law or regulation and it costs you your wealth or your liberty..I really do mean this....Maybe when you are branded a criminal by information that is flat out a lie to a jury you will understand.

Old 07-17-2014, 07:34 PM

57,240 posts, read 26,182,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
Do you even know how a fire selector even works?

Hell they sell some that have 3 positions and they are semi auto only.

No this is why leftist lump gun owners as gun nuts..

It is a great story about a man railroad by incompetence of the ATF.

To you and people like you there never is a "legitimate source"....

I can only hope you fun afoul of a small law or regulation and it costs you your wealth or your liberty..I really do mean this....Maybe when you are branded a criminal by information that is flat out a lie to a jury you will understand.
Very long answer to say you have no source to support your contention.

Old 07-17-2014, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Very long answer to say you have no source to support your contention.
You what goggle it...Find it yourself because anything we post will never be good enough for you...

Old 07-18-2014, 06:27 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,932,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
I followed this closely when it happened 5 years ago. Based on everything I read, this was a malfunction. With certain ammo, the sticky firing pin would still lightly strike the primer setting it off. I'm surprised he didn't get an out of battery discharge.

When the ATF tested the gun the first time, it failed to go full auto. They had to go back to the original ammo the friend was using before it would. When it fired more than one round per trigger pull, the owner became a felon.
No Justice there.

Old 07-18-2014, 08:25 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,910,218 times
Quote:

You can remove the safety spring and detent allowing the safety switch to move to any position. It still won't make an AR-15 full auto.

There would be no need to test if this gun was modified. The modifications are obvious for the auto sear. The lower has an additional hole drilled into it. If the auto sear was a drop-in, again that's easy to see on inspection. Besides an installed or drop-in auto sear, you must use a different hammer and bolt carrier group.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtGZBL5BmZE

Old 07-18-2014, 08:28 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,910,218 times
Quote:

The hammer and bolt carrier group are both legal to order and own. It's the lower that accepts an auto-sear or a drop-in auto-sear is the part that is extremely regulated, serialized and entered into the NFA registry. You can't just "order" one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4X_D6UH3dLM

Old 07-18-2014, 11:40 AM

Quote:
You can remove the safety spring and detent allowing the safety switch to move to any position. It still won't make an AR-15 full auto.

There would be no need to test if this gun was modified. The modifications are obvious for the auto sear. The lower has an additional hole drilled into it. If the auto sear was a drop-in, again that's easy to see on inspection. Besides an installed or drop-in auto sear, you must use a different hammer and bolt carrier group.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtGZBL5BmZE
Quote:
The hammer and bolt carrier group are both legal to order and own. It's the lower that accepts an auto-sear or a drop-in auto-sear is the part that is extremely regulated, serialized and entered into the NFA registry. You can't just "order" one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4X_D6UH3dLM
You are aware your posts and the information in those videos is above and beyond him, right?

Old 07-18-2014, 11:49 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,234,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
This man did nothing wrong, it could be me or you, do you not see or do you not care?
Ignorance of the law is no excuse. He shouldn't have borrowed that rifle.

Old 07-18-2014, 11:52 AM

29,445 posts, read 14,631,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
No you've got it all wrong...you are dreaming again.....YOU say the weapon "malfunctioned"....the defense lawyers I'm sure say the weapon "malfunctioned".

Tell us gun nuts...what is your LEGAL argument that the CONVICTION was in Error????????????????
Wow, throwing insults for no reason. Is it okay if I call you an A_$$hat ?

Sadly this is more common than one would think. If your weapon malfunctions , even if it not your fault you still are responsible. In the end you might be cleared but it will cost you a lot of money and time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies