Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2009, 05:07 AM

39 posts, read 106,551 times

Advertisements

I loved it when Obama said we have to find a solution to this stock market roller-coaster ever 4 years. Now i think that is change. We have think different and question some of the ways we have become so used to that we think that there is no way out! A simple example:Food,shelter and clothing are basic needs.How come food and clothing are not an investment but house becomes an investment.Can a primary residence not be an investment but be a basic need...like healthcare.Why should renting have different law and buying a home have a different tax law/incentive?

Same way with Tax breaks. Why should tax break be given for married vs married with kids. If i flip the meaning of the tax code it means- If I am single guy making 50K then why should John get 65K because he is married with 4 kids doing the same exact work as I do...why dont you give me 65K as well?Discrimination isint it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2009, 06:53 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,944,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kewldude View Post
Same way with Tax breaks. Why should tax break be given for married vs married with kids. If i flip the meaning of the tax code it means- If I am single guy making 50K then why should John get 65K because he is married with 4 kids doing the same exact work as I do...why dont you give me 65K as well?Discrimination isint it?
Making a distinction between two things is, by definition, discrimination. "Discrimination" is not inherently wrong, unless in making the distinction you violate some values that have been universally accepted or codified.

The tax code reflects several values. One is that people should pay taxes based in part on their ability to pay. Income and family size are two elements that have an impact on ability to pay, which is why rates are higher for higher income levels, and why we give deductions to people for dependents.

There are certainly those who advocate for a flat tax system - in which everyone pays the same tax rate on all income, regardless of amount, and in which there are very few deductions. Different values, different result.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies