Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Obama Be Honored By Catholic University of Notre Dame
Yes 10 41.67%
No 13 54.17%
Other 1 4.17%
Not Sure 0 0%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 10:54 PM

3,301 posts, read 6,327,610 times

Advertisements

President Barack Obama - Commencement Speaker at Notre Dame
A Moral Exemplar? by An NRO Symposium on National Review Online
The University of Notre Dame has announced that Pres. Barack Obama will be the principal speaker and will receive an honorary doctor of laws degree at the university’s commencement on Sunday, May 17. The invitation comes after the president has taken several official actions that directly oppose the Catholic Church’s most sacred teachings. National Review Online asked some of our experts on education and Catholicism for their comments.

The Catholic Thing - Is Obama Worth a Mass?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 10:56 PM

3,301 posts, read 6,327,610 times
Default More Details At http://notredamescandal.com/

More Details At Notre Dame Scandal > Home

Old 03-25-2009, 12:29 AM

3,131 posts, read 9,376,647 times
Catholicism is voodoo. I don't think he should bother with them. It's not like he is stupid and needs something from them.

I'm glad we vets are finally getting an increase. I don't like Obama for raising taxes on us little guys. I couldn't imagine Bush ever giving as intelligent a report as Obama did tonight about everything - maybe no one ever could considering our current duress. I am somewhat Republican and never leaned toward Democrat anything.

I didn't bother reading your links and mean no disrespect. There's more important things to be interested in than what some Catholic college cares to do.

Old 03-27-2009, 09:34 AM

1,763 posts, read 5,998,516 times
Although I see your point PCM, I still think the President should be allowed to speak as planned. After all he is the POTUS, and Notre Dame is attended by many who are not Catholic.

The Catholic faith has many positions, which include positions on abortion, euthanasia, stem-cell research, war, social justice and helping the poor. President Obama's beliefs are in line with some of the teachings, not so much with others. Same thing with the previous president, although along different lines.

If Notre Dame [and other educational institutions] get in the habit of excluding someone on the basis of one or two positions, pretty soon no Presidents will be speaking at universities, or getting honorary degrees.

Another way of looking at this is if the President is allowed to speak at a Catholic University, perhaps he will be exposed to [and influenced by] Catholic thought and teaching on abortion & stem-cell research?

Old 03-27-2009, 10:14 AM

707 posts, read 1,022,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRabbit View Post
Catholicism is voodoo. I don't think he should bother with them. It's not like he is stupid and needs something from them.

I'm glad we vets are finally getting an increase. I don't like Obama for raising taxes on us little guys. I couldn't imagine Bush ever giving as intelligent a report as Obama did tonight about everything - maybe no one ever could considering our current duress. I am somewhat Republican and never leaned toward Democrat anything.

I didn't bother reading your links and mean no disrespect. There's more important things to be interested in than what some Catholic college cares to do.

His budget hasn't been approved or taken affect. And either way, if you don't make over $250K, your taxes won't be increased.

Old 03-27-2009, 10:18 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,498,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proudmama View Post
His budget hasn't been approved or taken affect. And either way, if you don't make over $250K, your taxes won't be increased.

Oh yes they will. There will be all sorts of "hidden" taxes in your daily life that never existed before. Your income tax won't increase, it won't be cut........ but you will be paying more taxes on a daily basis

Old 03-27-2009, 01:01 PM

541 posts, read 1,224,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Rankin View Post
If Notre Dame [and other educational institutions] get in the habit of excluding someone on the basis of one or two positions, pretty soon no Presidents will be speaking at universities, or getting honorary degrees.
Perhaps. But if you support the position that abortion is murder, Obama is guilty of supporting genocide or at least mass murder.

I don't know how a church can stomach that... I think we all know that Pol Pot wasn't getting any speaking gigs at Catholic U.

Old 03-27-2009, 05:45 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,567,747 times
I just heard this on NPR this morning. Apparently Notre Dame is sticking w/their guns on this one, gotta admire that. I see no problem w/him speaking there, I would think having any president regardless of their political affiliation would be an honor.

Old 03-27-2009, 06:00 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,637,967 times
Most American Catholics aren't all that doctrinaire anyway.

Old 03-27-2009, 06:09 PM

46 posts, read 18,070 times
Screw the Catholics. Obama WILL speak there whether they like it or not. Religious swine...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies