Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2009, 08:37 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,326,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
So Toyota is taking a lesson from GM's problems and acting early to get government money.....

Doesn't this show that all automakers are in trouble?
I never argued they weren't. The WHOLE WORLD is in a down turn.
The difference is Toyota is in trouble while GM is in TROUBLE.

It's relatively easy for a poorly run company to get by during good times.
It's the downturns are where the poorly run companies show their true colors - and have to face the music.

Such is the case with GM.
It's been poorly run for a long time - and now years of poor decisions are costing the company - and possibly dooming it.

Ken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 08:38 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,866,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
I never argued they weren't. The WHOLE WORLD is in a down turn.
The difference is Toyota is in trouble while GM is in TROUBLE.

It's relatively easy for a poorly run company to get by during good times.
It's the downturns are where the poorly run companies show their true colors.

Such is the case with GM.
It's been poorly run for a long time - and now years of poor decisions are costing the company - and possibly dooming it.

Ken
It would seem part of the reason for GM's problems is its labor costs and pension costs...Toyota doesn't have the same problems.

Old 04-01-2009, 08:40 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
Uh huh.

Sure you did.

I simply asked you to explain or quantify your statement for the sake of discussion and clarity. You said every - not me.

~adios.
I sure did say EVERY big car company, and you have yet to prove me wrong.. Your entitled to your OPINION, I'm entitled to mine, now prove my opinion wrong..

Your just arguing for the sake of arguing and I'm no longer going to respond unless you actually post something that disputes what I said with facts.

Old 04-01-2009, 08:42 AM

Quote:
It would seem part of the reason for GM's problems is its labor costs and pension costs...Toyota doesn't have the same problems.
That is indeed a big part of GM's problems (I have already laid some of the blame on the unions). However, it's also GM's product line and their emphasis on large gas-guzzling vehicles, as well as the public's perception that GM vehicles are of inferior quality to Japanese vehicles - that has lead to GM's problems. THOSE problems fall squarely on the shoulders of management.

Ken

Old 04-01-2009, 08:50 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,596,543 times
Quote:
That is indeed a big part of GM's problems (I have already laid some of the blame on the unions). However, it's also GM's product line and their emphasis on large gas-guzzling vehicles, as well as the public's perception that GM vehicles are of inferior quality to Japanese vehicles - that has lead to GM's problems. THOSE problems fall squarely on the shoulders of management.

Ken
This has been part of a large philosophical and psychological imprint attached to the Big 3 (and GM in particular) for a long time. What other company has a stigma attached to the purchase of a "Wednesday" product for reliability - and the public knows it?!

Product is also severely hampered by healthcare costs as well....

Old 04-01-2009, 08:52 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,596,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I sure did say EVERY big
Stop right there...

No. You didn't.

Old 04-01-2009, 08:52 AM

Quote:

Ken
People WANTED those gas guzzlers,people would STILL want them if they felt better about things.

Few people WANT to buy small cars....except those who get pleasure from the sacrifice.

Until gas prices went way up,the automakers were selling quite a lot of those 'gas guzzlers'...you might also want to take a look at the import lines and see how many autos/trucks/SUVs they have that meet the criteria.

Old 04-01-2009, 08:57 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
Stop right there...

No. You didn't.
Um, yes I did.. Selective reading again?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I challenge you to list ONE car company of a decent size not facing economic issues at the moment....
My discussion with you is over, since I have asked you numerous times to read ALL of the threads, not selectively pick out the ones you wished. Your arguing for the sake of arguing without disputing facts..

You can now have the last word on the topic..

Old 04-01-2009, 08:57 AM

Quote:
People WANTED those gas guzzlers,people would STILL want them if they felt better about things.

Few people WANT to buy small cars....except those who get pleasure from the sacrifice.

Until gas prices went way up,the automakers were selling quite a lot of those 'gas guzzlers'...you might also want to take a look at the import lines and see how many autos/trucks/SUVs they have that meet the criteria.
The import companies do indeed have such vehicles as well. The difference, is, they didn't DEPEND so heavily on the gas guzzlers - and offered a better balanced portfolio that wasn't so vulnerable to a rise in gas prices.

Ken

Old 04-01-2009, 09:00 AM

Quote:
The import companies do indeed have such vehicles as well. The difference, is, they didn't DEPEND so heavily on the gas guzzlers - and offered a better balanced portfolio that wasn't so vulnerable to a rise in gas prices.

Ken
GM always had its econoboxes.....even has an entire model line(Saturn) that was that way.

But it matters little anymore....unless people want to say that this is the main reason for their problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies