Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 10:03 AM

1,336 posts, read 1,532,362 times

Advertisements

It's nice that a mod started this thead. I feel like I can freely respond without getting hammered. If I'd started it, I'd probably have yet another infraction to add to my collection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2009, 03:48 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,784,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
You must be confusing me for somebody else
because I would be more than glad to see a woman be president (a smart woman, not Puppet Palin)
The accusation was not leveled at you or any specific group. I'm pointing out the backward thinking that goes on in the minds of many people IRREGARDLESS of the group they find affinity. Libs and cons, black and white, rich and poor, blah blah blah. Call it star bellied sneetches vs sneetches, it's the "VS" mentality that's the problem.

I've held up a singular example that women regularly get discriminated against for over 2,000 years. There are numerous examples in our collective history. Until every black can see that, until every chinese and ukrainian american citizen, until the NRA & church folks see that clearly, no ones rights are safe. The constitution needs defending by every citizen above their own group. Your rights being robbed are the same as my own being robbed. Abuses of authority happening anywhere in government affect us all EQUALLY. It affects the honest officer talking the confused officer even more so, because the harm done to the faith of the people in the law makes his job impossible. On a macro scale, it makes Obama's job impossible too.

No, this disease in the minds of groups who mean to huddle together disparately is not constructive. I'm glad this chief was honest, and isn't willing to protect someone abusing authority in the commission of his job. That IS a citizen defending a citizen, the law being paramount, and the clearest example of what we should all be doing.

Anyone kidding themselves that I get preferential treatment as white or female or former LE... I can tell you that when I get pulled over, I know to pull over immediately. I know to have every relevant piece of paper on my dashboard before the officer comes to my door. I know to keep my hands on the steering wheel in plain sight and have the interior light on to de-escalate the situation. His job is dangerous, and he needs to know with whom he is speaking- a law abiding citizen, because his job description is to sort law abiding from NON law abiding. My conduct in these moments of confrontation determine if he'll be justified in using deadly force against me. My life is in jeapardy just like yours, and any jittery, sudden movements, emotional outbursts, argumentation etc coming from me could easily turn ugly. Is there not enough evidence on the books that women have been preyed upon since recorded history? How do I know this cop isn't one of them? By his own professionalism, or lack thereof.

I would defend some old fart white guy as readily as I'd defend a woman, or any other group. I cannot say the same is true of all groups who can institutionalize their nastiness through propaganda, charter, or emotional validation rewards system for hatred directed at fellow countrymen. This same benchmark applies to all individuals. Revert to content of character, discrimination being a reflection of their own narrow minds, and when that line is crossed they're uninvited to my home. They don't get my vote. They don't get my charity. They don't get my support or my talent to further their endeavors. They also don't get hired by me. I have no tolerance for disrespect, because IT is not the spirit of the law, or any worthy objective to work towards together.

Old 03-27-2009, 05:07 PM

3,463 posts, read 7,307,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeeee22895 View Post
It's nice that a mod started this thead. I feel like I can freely respond without getting hammered. If I'd started it, I'd probably have yet another infraction to add to my collection.
Me too!

Old 03-27-2009, 05:14 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,291,852 times
I'll tell you where I see the racism in that video,
I lived in a somewhat small town in Missouri,
I saw many white people make fun of policemen right in their face and they still were nicer than this guy.

Moats pulls over at the hospital parking lot,
tells the policeman what's going on.
Up to that point everything is fine.

There was some reason (whatever it is) for a cop or anybody to stop somebody at the doors of a hospital and act the way this cop did.

Is it to difficult to say: "Let's go in, if you are lying, you are f....d"

Old 03-27-2009, 06:17 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,310,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I'll tell you where I see the racism in that video,
I lived in a somewhat small town in Missouri,
I saw many white people make fun of policemen right in their face and they still were nicer than this guy.

Moats pulls over at the hospital parking lot,
tells the policeman what's going on.
Up to that point everything is fine.

There was some reason (whatever it is) for a cop or anybody to stop somebody at the doors of a hospital and act the way this cop did.

Is it to difficult to say: "Let's go in, if you are lying, you are f....d"
That officer was required by PD regulations to run the plates, check for warrants, check for valid registration, insurance, etc. Required! There is an active debate on another forum about this. When it all comes out, the cop will retain his job. Moats might sue, and he might win. But at the end of the day, he refused to obey an officer.

As I stated, poor judgement on the officers part. Likewise, poor judgement of the drivers fault also.

Old 03-27-2009, 06:34 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,784,939 times
Quote:
Mods aren't here to muscle anybody, and if you've become in habit of attacking people who disagree with you... your very own message gets lost in the process. What real thing do you mean to get across without personal attacks? Yes, I understand it's difficult to refrain when you're angry, but I think the self discipline is a good thing for the forum, and for the sake of everyone trying to hear alternative views. The cops didn't write the law, they just enforce it.

Yes, I've been busted myself, once by the very OP mod. It's not TN's fault, it's my own. I step out of the TOS, I expect I'll be corrected. You should expect the same. Get back on thread please.

Old 03-27-2009, 08:00 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,630,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPATTA2D View Post
Perhaps there is more video than posted. My uncle was a State Police officer for years. He has stories you can't believe. Fact: cops are human and most of them are scared to death these days. When the little lights are flashing, you kinda have to pull over. When he failed to do that, he is the one who eleveated the situation in my mind.
no sense arguing with PM, it's too complicated for those like her.

you're right, when the driver failed to pull over, THAT is when the situation elevated.

had he pulled over and quickly explained the situation, like you, I'd bet my house the cop would've been fine with it.

nothing racial to me, either. Period.

Old 03-27-2009, 08:12 PM

707 posts, read 1,022,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowolves View Post
no sense arguing with PM, it's too complicated for those like her.

you're right, when the driver failed to pull over, THAT is when the situation elevated.

had he pulled over and quickly explained the situation, like you, I'd bet my house the cop would've been fine with it.

nothing racial to me, either. Period.

Exactly whats complicated? And what is meant by "those like her"? those who have a mind of there own who will not agree with everything stated? You believe what you believe and i'll do the same. Thats called being an adult one who should be able to agree to disagree.

Old 03-27-2009, 09:31 PM

1,336 posts, read 1,532,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Mods aren't here to muscle anybody, and if you've become in habit of attacking people who disagree with you... your very own message gets lost in the process. What real thing do you mean to get across without personal attacks? Yes, I understand it's difficult to refrain when you're angry, but I think the self discipline is a good thing for the forum, and for the sake of everyone trying to hear alternative views. The cops didn't write the law, they just enforce it.

Yes, I've been busted myself, once by the very OP mod. It's not TN's fault, it's my own. I step out of the TOS, I expect I'll be corrected. You should expect the same. Get back on thread please.
Actually, I do hardly any attacking. I just bring up stuff people don't like.

Old 03-28-2009, 09:37 AM

3,463 posts, read 7,307,014 times
Quote:
Actually, I do hardly any attacking. I just bring up stuff people don't like.
Known as "Politics and Other Controversies"! Oh, damn - that's the subject title of this forum!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies