Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 05:53 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
I'm sorry...does this make any sense?
Obviously it does, to people who have the ability to comprehend and put two sentences together..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphous01 View Post
Exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2009, 06:11 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
A recent comparison of six local grocery stores including ten products illustrated the fallacy of Wal-mart's "always low prices" claim. In only 3 of the ten product lines did Wal-mart tie for lowest price. They were not cheapest in any product line.

I realized a couple of decades ago that this company was run by a sleazy group of thieves bent on monopolizing retailing. They made their money on franchising and coercing low prices from their suppliers by using their monopoly control. Wal-mart is an unethical company that exploits everyone that works for, sells to or buys from them. I will do without before I buy from Wal-mart.

I think their purchasing, transport and retail business should be broken up into smaller competitive organizations and fuel and groceries eliminated from their product lines. I also think the US economy could be aides by countervailing tariffs that cancelled any advantage foreign producers realized through cheap (non-union) labor and lax enforcement or low environmental standards. These tariffs would raise prices to the point that American workers would have enough jobs and money to pay for domestic goods.

China and India would have to raise their wage rates to create enough internal demand to sell their products to themselves. This would be good for the workers of the whole world.

ONE BIG WORLD, ONE BIG UNION - IWW FOREVER.

Old 03-27-2009, 08:00 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,585,253 times
How much should a cashier make? What do they make at McDonalds or your local grocery store?

Old 03-27-2009, 08:13 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,199,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
If you take just a few minutes to browse the ads from other stores, you can easily shop elsewhere and get BETTER prices and QUALITY goods than Walmart has. They rely on making people think they're automatically getting the lowest prices when they're actually not.

Actually, the only time I ever see better prices are goods on deep sale at the regular grocery stores. Most of the time though, Walmarts normal prices are lower then then the grocery stores sale prices.

If you are talking about household goods or clothers, the only places that beat their prices are the thrift store or the dollar tree. Occasionally, Target or Best Buy will beat their electronics prices when they have a good sale.

Old 03-27-2009, 08:16 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,111,507 times
Sour grapes...

Those of you who rail against the rich for nothing more than being rich will never be rich yourself. You won't allow yourself to become something you hate, therefore you will never be wealthy.

Myself, I hope to be stinking rich someday and am taking steps that will (hopefully) lead to that happening.

I see nothing wrong with Wal*Mart paying their employees a wage comparable with what the same job at any other store would pay. It doesn't take a college degree or any special skills to punch buttons on a register, sweep a floor or stock shelves, which is the bulk of what most Wal*Mart employees do. They shouldn't be making a lot of money. If they want a higher wage, they should have to earn it, just as they would at any other business.

People that single Wal*Mart out just because they're the biggest employer really need to find a new shtick. It's getting old and virtually every anti-Wal*Mart argument has been invalidated.

Old 03-27-2009, 08:20 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,199,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
A recent comparison of six local grocery stores including ten products illustrated the fallacy of Wal-mart's "always low prices" claim. In only 3 of the ten product lines did Wal-mart tie for lowest price. They were not cheapest in any product line.
Id like to see this study. The only thing that I see that grocery stores routinely beat Walmart on are fresh cut meat, and dairy products. The local grocery stores around my area cant touch walmart in produce, canned goods, beverages, or frozen articles. In fact, the best competition Walmart has in my area for food is actually Super K, ironically. Food Lion (and their low cost sister company Bottom Dollar) Farm Fresh, Kroger, they all are only good for buying the occasional deeply discounted sale item.

There was a Kroger that put itself right next to a Walmart here, and was run out of business within a few years. They couldnt even remotely compete. Even their sale prices were often higher then Walmarts normal prices.

Old 03-27-2009, 08:34 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,241,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJoey View Post
The Waltons should be free to do whatever they please with their money.

I am free to do what I want with my money as well so I don't by "affordable" plastic **** imported from china that walmart sells.

I don't see any justification with the outrage with Walmart. Every market they've taken over is served by a growing online market that is run by "mom and pops" if the consumer still wants it. Will Amazon become the next Walmart?
I don't think you understand that Walmart has changed from their beginning days.... I used to like Walmart but not anymore.... They sell crappy stuff...I understand the price is good but I'd rather pay a little more for something that will last. And that is harder to do now days...

Old 03-27-2009, 09:21 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
First, the article is more than 2 years old. Old, old news.

Secondly, the money being spent on the museum is not Wal-Mart corporate funds, it's the personal funds of Sam Walton's daughter. And she is generously building a world-class museum in the American midwest.

Old 03-27-2009, 09:26 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
swagger - I too hope, with little chance of sucess, to be filthy rich someday but working for it won't be the way I'll do it. When I am rich I will use the money to buy my freedom and spend my time doing whatever I want to do. Like redevoloping the art of metal free weapons for starters.

Old 03-27-2009, 10:13 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
Everyone of you has the choice to shop at Wal-Mart or not. Either you do or you don't. Sam Walton is an American success story just like Ray Kroc, Henry Ford, etc. You may not eat Big Macs or drive a Ford, but again, that's your choice.

Wal-Mart serves a sector of our population, and they are very good at it. When you build a business that can compete with Wal-Mart, then complain all you want about their practices. Otherwise, close your blow-holes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies