Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 02:03 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,176,379 times

Advertisements

This is great. The author takes apart this AIG exec's (real?) letter of resignation, shoves away the whining, and shows us a disturbing pattern of irresponsibility.
A few things struck me in the “resignation letter” of Jake DeSantis, an executive vice president of the American International Group’s financial products unit. (People don’t normally forward their letters of resignation to The New York Times)

First, of course, is his justified sense of outrage at having been abandoned by his boss, AIG chief Ed Liddy, before Congress and at having his bonus essentially taken away. “Like you, I was asked to work for an annual salary of $1, and I agreed out of a sense of duty to the company and to the public officials who have come to its aid. Having now been let down by both, I can no longer justify spending 10, 12, 14 hours a day away from my family for the benefit of those who have let me down.”

But a few other sentences stand out in my mind as emblematic of the mindset that has created some of this mess.
The Mindset of an AIG executive - BusinessWeek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2009, 02:53 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,067,093 times
Imagine wanting to earn more than $1 per year....he should be ashamed of himself.

Old 03-25-2009, 03:05 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,902,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
Imagine wanting to earn more than $1 per year....he should be ashamed of himself.
Imagine heading up the financial products division, then denying any responsibility for the misdeeds of that division.

Old 03-25-2009, 04:10 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,074,501 times
I loved this blog entry:

I appreciate that you’re going to give away this money to charities working to undo the damage your company and others caused. Respectfully, may I suggest that you don’t understand that many of us believe that if you reaped the benefits of your company’s risky conduct, you should be exposed in equal measure to its failure. This should not just mean that you lose whatever value you held through AIG’s stock, but that your compensation this year should reflect your company’s failure. The fact that there is anything at all available to compensate you is a consequence of your company being bailed out by the American taxpayer.

You observe that you should not be cheated of your payment any more than a plumber who fixed the pipes should be robbed of payment if an electrician subsequently burns the house down. You might want to make that analogy more precise. If the plumber who fixed the pipes was employed by the same contractor as the electrician, worked on the pipes while the electrician was connecting the wiring to the plumbing system, and watched as the electrician laid a trail of flowing gasoline between all the homes in the neighborhood, then the plumber might reasonably expect that his own payment might be at risk.

Yours,

Tim Burke

Dear Jake DeSantis « Easily Distracted

Old 03-25-2009, 04:17 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,176,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I loved this blog entry:

I appreciate that you’re going to give away this money to charities working to undo the damage your company and others caused. Respectfully, may I suggest that you don’t understand that many of us believe that if you reaped the benefits of your company’s risky conduct, you should be exposed in equal measure to its failure. This should not just mean that you lose whatever value you held through AIG’s stock, but that your compensation this year should reflect your company’s failure. The fact that there is anything at all available to compensate you is a consequence of your company being bailed out by the American taxpayer.

You observe that you should not be cheated of your payment any more than a plumber who fixed the pipes should be robbed of payment if an electrician subsequently burns the house down. You might want to make that analogy more precise. If the plumber who fixed the pipes was employed by the same contractor as the electrician, worked on the pipes while the electrician was connecting the wiring to the plumbing system, and watched as the electrician laid a trail of flowing gasoline between all the homes in the neighborhood, then the plumber might reasonably expect that his own payment might be at risk.

Yours,

Tim Burke

Dear Jake DeSantis « Easily Distracted
Whoa - EXCELLENT analogy!

Old 03-25-2009, 04:24 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,015,975 times
Great post delusianne.. i loved reading it.. thank you

Old 03-25-2009, 04:27 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,476,810 times
I do have to admit that it's pretty great that he's using my tax money for charity. How benevolent.

Old 03-25-2009, 05:03 PM

1,966 posts, read 2,704,609 times
DeSantis sounds like a pretentious jackass.

Old 03-25-2009, 05:18 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,837,761 times
Am I the only one who thinks that the $1 salary might be a gimmick to ensure enrolling in that ex-employee bonus program that AIG was running? Ex-employees couldn't get salary but contracts were designed to ensure they continued getting bonuses.

Old 03-25-2009, 05:19 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,015,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Am I the only one who thinks that the $1 salary might be a gimmick to ensure enrolling in that ex-employee bonus program that AIG was running? Ex-employees couldn't get salary but contracts were designed to ensure they continued getting bonuses.

Well...now that you mention that (I nor most people, I'm sure, even knew about that) it does sound like it doesn't it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies