Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 03:45 PM

3,662 posts, read 9,669,047 times

Advertisements

No anti-gunners please--this thread is for gun-advocates only and OT posts will be asked to be deleted. Also, no political posts please. I am only looking for answers to my question regarding the next best firearm to purchase. I don't care who you voted for and why you think we are in the condition we are in today. This is not up for debate.

My situation: I've been preparing for SHTF for a couple years now and feel like we are getting close to that time for various reasons. I currently have a .40acp, 9mm, 12ga pump, and .22 long rifle with 30 round mags. I figure I'm pretty well rounded for a variety of scenarios, but think I need to add a high-powered rifle to be complete.

So, what would you purchase? AR, AK, or hunting rifle with option for high capacity mag? Considering ammo and rifles are becoming more expensive and less available because of the Comrade, which round would you think best?

I was at Dick's yesterday and they were completely out of 9mm and .22 long nose brass was $20/525 rounds! I went to my dealer up the road and he was completely out of 7.62 and he said people were driving from 2 hours away to buy .380 from him (I'm not sure why that round was so unavailable though). I had been hearing things like this online, but never saw it with my own eyes.

I really wanted the Sig 556, but he said there is over a year wait on production! Prices are going up up up too on all AR's. People are taking the ban seriously and the threat of civil unrest is quite plausible.

At any rate, what say you? What would you buy in my situation?

Thanks fellow patriots!

Last edited by carolina_guy; 03-29-2009 at 04:37 PM..

Old 03-29-2009, 03:51 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
For a gun I'd say SKS or AK (but where are you? Would that be enough for hunting purposes? If you have bears I'd get a more powerful gun). But, for ammo the AR, but I wouldn't buy an AR. The 7.62X39 is mostly imported (and has recently dried up for the time being), 5.56 is readily available domestically (though still tough to get these days due to demand). But the SKS or AK is more reliable than an AR generally speaking. An M1 Garand would be a good gun, for both people defense and hunting. But beware of using commercial 30.06 hunting ammo, it may be too hot.

Old 03-29-2009, 03:57 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,784,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
No anti-gunners please--this thread is for gun-advocates only and OT posts will be asked to be deleted.

My situation: I've been preparing for SHTF for a couple years now and feel like we are getting close to that time for various reasons. I currently have a .40acp, 9mm, 12ga pump, and .22 long rifle with 30 round mags. I figure I'm pretty well rounded for a variety of scenarios, but think I need to add a high-powered rifle to be complete.

So, what would you purchase? AR, AK, or hunting rifle with option for high capacity mag? Considering ammo and rifles are becoming more expensive and less available because of the Comrade, which round would you think best?

I was at Dick's yesterday and they were completely out of 9mm and .22 long nose brass was $20/525 rounds! I went to my dealer up the road and he was completely out of 7.62 and he said people were driving from 2 hours away to buy .380 from him (I'm not sure why that round was so unavailable though). I had been hearing things like this online, but never saw it with my own eyes.

I really wanted the Sig 556, but he said there is over a year wait on production! Prices are going up up up too on all AR's. People are taking the ban seriously and the threat of civil unrest is quite plausible.

At any rate, what say you? What would you buy in my situation?

Thanks fellow patriots!
What has this got to do with politics? Shouldn't this thread be in sporting goods aisle 28?

Old 03-29-2009, 03:59 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
Question:

Quote:
I've been preparing for SHTF for a couple years now
What is SHTF?

For me, probably a small pistol, something that would fit in my hand well; maybe some of you have some suggestions. It doesn't need to be anything high powered or cumbersome.

Old 03-29-2009, 04:00 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
only buy weapons you can hide well and use very common ammo no exotic ammo. that will become painfully obvious why very soon.

Old 03-29-2009, 04:11 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,525,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
Politics and OTHER Controversies. Anti-gunners need not apply.
I'd like to have a Springfield Armory XD9. That said, stockpiling ammo and guns like alot of rightwing nutjobs are doing these days reminds me that many of these folks actually are hoping there is widespread unrest.

Thats too bad, considering the people they voted for are responsible for the incredible mess we are in.

Old 03-29-2009, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
For a gun I'd say SKS or AK (but where are you? Would that be enough for hunting purposes? If you have bears I'd get a more powerful gun). But, for ammo the AR, but I wouldn't buy an AR. The 7.62X39 is mostly imported (and has recently dried up for the time being), 5.56 is readily available domestically (though still tough to get these days due to demand). But the SKS or AK is more reliable than an AR generally speaking. An M1 Garand would be a good gun, for both people defense and hunting. But beware of using commercial 30.06 hunting ammo, it may be too hot.
Thank you for being on topic. Yes, I considered the SKS because of the value, but 7.62 is slim-pickens. I'll check out the M1 for sure, isn't that standard issue for military?

Old 03-29-2009, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Question:

What is SHTF?

For me, probably a small pistol, something that would fit in my hand well; maybe some of you have some suggestions. It doesn't need to be anything high powered or cumbersome.
Sh*t Hit the Fan.

Old 03-29-2009, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
I'd like to have a Springfield Armory XD9. That said, stockpiling ammo and guns like alot of rightwing nutjobs are doing these days reminds me that many of these folks actually are hoping there is widespread unrest.

Thats too bad, considering the people they voted for are responsible for the incredible mess we are in.
I like the Springfield XD-M series. 19+1 9mm and 16+1 in the .40.

I'll ignore the rest of your post.

Please folks, I would like to know what you would buy in light of MY situation and the firearms I already own. I'm looking to be as well rounded as possible, and I'm not looking to purchase any more handguns at the moment (except for my wife's carry revolver).

Rifles only please!

Old 03-29-2009, 04:29 PM

5,376 posts, read 5,347,425 times
Even though I am one of those "anti-gun nuts" (i prefer a bow), my pick would be a Remmington 700 with a 26' barrel. I've shot one a few times and like the range/accuracy.

Last edited by plannine; 03-29-2009 at 05:14 PM.. Reason: off topic, flaming
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies