Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 01:51 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,685,125 times

Advertisements

STOCKHOLM (Reuters) - Sweden will allow homosexuals to legally marry from May this year after parliament on Wednesday voted overwhelmingly in favor of the move.

The change in the law, which currently allows gay couples to register unions but not formal marriage, comes into force on May 1 this year under the timetable set out in the bill.

Sweden votes in favor of legalizing gay marriage | International | Reuters
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 01:57 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,572,367 times
For some reason, I thought it was already legal there. Well whatever, good job!

Old 04-01-2009, 02:08 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,793,468 times
^I thought the same too. Marijuana is legal there but not same-sex unions that are recognized by the law...interesting.

Now here in Arkansas there is a bill coming up to ban domestic partnership registries....
The people in the registries (which are open to same-sex and opposite sex couples) don't get ANY rights from the state but they can receive insurance from their employer should their employer recognize it.

It just gets to me why some people are SOOO bothered by whether or not gays and lesbians receive the rights identical or similar to marriage.
Gays and lesbians pay taxes too and if you want to ban them from marriage, PLEASE lower the tax rate they have to pay because why should they subsidize a system they are barred from?

In this day and age, I would think we would be focused on something bigger than if Susan and Linda have the same rights as Bob & Joanne. Get over it already!

Old 04-01-2009, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveTodayLez08 View Post
^I thought the same too. Marijuana is legal there but not same-sex unions that are recognized by the law...interesting.

Now here in Arkansas there is a bill coming up to ban domestic partnership registries....
The people in the registries (which are open to same-sex and opposite sex couples) don't get ANY rights from the state but they can receive insurance from their employer should their employer recognize it.

It just gets to me why some people are SOOO bothered by whether or not gays and lesbians receive the rights identical or similar to marriage.
Gays and lesbians pay taxes too and if you want to ban them from marriage, PLEASE lower the tax rate they have to pay because why should they subsidize a system they are barred from?

In this day and age, I would think we would be focused on something bigger than if Susan and Linda have the same rights as Bob & Joanne. Get over it already!
Don't you see? It's called hypocrisy. They'll be the first to yell out "it's my business/home/land/car I'll do what I want. Get you stinkin paws & laws off! Who are you to stick your nose in my business?", right? But then once they start thinking about 2 people of the same sex getting it on, that whole mentality of theirs goes right out the window, like it didn't exist at all.

Old 04-01-2009, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Don't you see? It's called hypocrisy. They'll be the first to yell out "it's my business/home/land/car I'll do what I want. Get you stinkin paws & laws off! Who are you to stick your nose in my business?", right? But then once they start thinking about 2 people of the same sex getting it on, that whole mentality of theirs goes right out the window, like it didn't exist at all.
It's crazy that a lot of these people call themselves Republicans but I always thought they championed "liberty" and I see liberty as defending someone's right to do what I DON'T like.

I take the libertarian stand on marriage: get the government out of it.
At the same time, since the government is giving benefits to couples based on marital status, they should do it equally. Couple A should have the same benefits as could B, even if it's two men, two men, or a man and a woman.

I'd even extend it to relationships that involve more than two people. As long as everyone consents, why should I care?

Arkansas is seen as a conservative state but it's funny how many bills they pass to limit their citizens freedom.

Old 04-01-2009, 02:30 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,894,387 times
So you would approve of a beastality ;marriage within family and of course mutliple marriages;since you don't want government interference.Not many would agree as the last election showed.

Old 04-01-2009, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
So you would approve of a beastality ;marriage within family and of course mutliple marriages;since you don't want government interference.Not many would agree as the last election showed.
Bestiality....no. An animal cannot give consent.
Marriage within family...I've heard that the birth defects are not as severe as people make them out to be. If someone wants to marry their first cousin, how will that effect me in my every day life? I could care less.

Multiple marriages...do you mean polygamy? Why not? How is it hurting me?

Old 04-01-2009, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Well, there you go resorting to the whole "I want to marry my pet" argument. It's such a safe argument to resort to, isn't it? And so predictable too! Animals can't give consent, so there goes your argument for that. Marriage w/in families, while it may sound weird, is fine. Actually, don't the british do this? And multiple marriages, yeah again, who cares.

Old 04-01-2009, 02:49 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,454,952 times
GOOD now there is a place they can move to!

Old 04-01-2009, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
GOOD now there is a place they can move to!
Why should they? Why don't you just get used to it my dear, homosexuals live all around you. If you don't like it, become the boy in the bubble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies