Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 10:03 PM

4,459 posts, read 4,210,102 times

Advertisements

When pot is made legal a very definite social line is drawn between it and the bad stuff like meth, crack, and narcotics. Pot is a "gateway drug" mostly based on its prohibition and its perceived relationship to legal alcohol, which is hundreds of times more damaging than Marijuana. Kids smoke weed and see that it is not as bad as alcohol and then start wondering how bad other illegal drugs are. Remove the prohibition and you are removing most of the "gateway" syndrome with pot.

washingtonpost.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2009, 12:43 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,493,911 times
What!!! Have you been watching the antiquated movie " Reefer Madness " ? Marijuana is not a gate way drug. Most people that smoke pot, only smoke pot. I lived in the middle of the "Emerald Triangle" of northern California for 7 years and on the outskirts for 10 more. If anything that I have seen is a gate way drug, it is early alcohol use or the use of Meth.

Old 04-12-2009, 12:51 AM

5,032 posts, read 12,611,786 times
My father has smoked marijuana all my life & I never used anything like cocaine or other hard drugs. Same with my brothers & sister. We all drank as teens at parties & also smoked weed but nothing else. For family gatherings, the smokers sit outside & they are not using tobacco

Old 04-12-2009, 06:36 AM

4,287 posts, read 10,769,895 times
yea most people dont do any drugs besides weed. But i think if it was legalized it would help eliminate drug dealers because people wouldnt need to buy their weed from a guy who also might sell coke and wouldnt even know who to get cocaine from if they wanted it.

Old 05-06-2009, 11:40 AM

215 posts, read 976,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
yea most people dont do any drugs besides weed. But i think if it was legalized it would help eliminate drug dealers because people wouldnt need to buy their weed from a guy who also might sell coke and wouldnt even know who to get cocaine from if they wanted it.
You are absolutely right!

I know so many baby boomers that "only" smoke week and prefer it than alcohol! We need to stop those pot drug dealers because those are the guys who collect the weed money to make, sale & deal the crack and meth!

Old 05-06-2009, 01:38 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
I realllly don't like pot smokers. I have my reasons, but I'll leave it at that.

I don't think it's necessarily a 'gateway' drug, but from my experiences, dealers are the problem. I had a friend who was a big time dealer in my area (an ounce or more a day sold... plus she graduated from a Christian private school, which is pretty funny) and she hung out with other smokers and eventually started doing E on a regular basis, along with shrooms and coke. If you're hanging around pot smokers that smoke as a hobby more than just an occasional thing you're going to run into other drugs.

My boyfriend smokes once a week or so. Other than him, pot smokers are not even allowed in my house. I've had some horrible experiences regarding people and their weed and just don't want it in my life.

Of course, I do still support legalizing it, which may seem weird.

Old 05-06-2009, 01:55 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,034,703 times
Well, I only have one objection;

Drug tests. Most companies randomly issue these.. If marijuana is decriminalized, or dare I say legalized, will these still be applicable? Or rather do most potheads not work anyways? Too many people have been killed by DUIs, and lets not forget those folks killed in Maryland by the two train engineers who smoked before showing up for work..

Personally, I don't find mj all that great.. Apparently my metabolism is too fast for it..

Old 05-06-2009, 01:58 PM

1,048 posts, read 2,388,431 times
One of my old neighbors admitted to smoking pot three times a day every day during high school. I don't know if this was a consequence, but it took him forever to come to the most simple conclusions.

Old 05-06-2009, 02:23 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,474,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
What!!! Have you been watching the antiquated movie " Reefer Madness " ? Marijuana is not a gate way drug. Most people that smoke pot, only smoke pot. I lived in the middle of the "Emerald Triangle" of northern California for 7 years and on the outskirts for 10 more. If anything that I have seen is a gate way drug, it is early alcohol use or the use of Meth.
No, I see what he's saying.

He's not saying you smoke pot and you suddenly are hungry for other drugs.

He's saying that, due to propaganda before people smoke pot they think it's going to kill you.

Then they smoke and nothing bad happens.

Then they question whether they were lied to about other drugs and any negative consequences.

Old 05-06-2009, 02:31 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,045,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
Well, I only have one objection;

Drug tests. Most companies randomly issue these.. If marijuana is decriminalized, or dare I say legalized, will these still be applicable? Or rather do most potheads not work anyways? Too many people have been killed by DUIs, and lets not forget those folks killed in Maryland by the two train engineers who smoked before showing up for work..

Personally, I don't find mj all that great.. Apparently my metabolism is too fast for it..
Most likely, they will. Some companies won't accept you if you got too much alchohol in your system by the time of the drug test. They'll still apply, but the standards would probably be mor elax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies